E30stz

Quick Questions

You sure foxy? Bentley agrees but another E30 book does not, and why would it have wires going to it if my car has no oxy sensor?

Pretty sure Max, a lot of e30s have bits wired in they don't use

Personally, used a 1200grip wet and dry to smooth out the matte finish (Soak the paper for a few hours in water) on my paint, then used a cutting compound to polish it up, sorry not sure of brand panel beater mate had it in a big bottle, then used Mothers Wax afterwards

Cheers mate, the nice lady at spray store said she would cut it for me if i bought it in so i didn't have to pay $17 for a jar of the stuff :)

then i will polish and wax from there. thanks

heres a quick one,

I have a E34 M50b25 sitting about and I wanna join all this 36mafia hype again soon maybe...will this E34 motor swap Straight into a E36, bar the sump pan needing to be swapped... everything else line up and bolt straight back together?

Thanks!

Cheers mate, the nice lady at spray store said she would cut it for me if i bought it in so i didn't have to pay $17 for a jar of the stuff :)

then i will polish and wax from there. thanks

Any chance of getting some more detail on this overall process? I need to try clean up some paint chips this weekend

Yeah _Matt_, Id also be keen to know the process you took. I recently used the BMW touch up paint, looks a little rough and on a sunny day it sicks out like the proverbial dogs bollocks. I think I need to sand the lacquer down?

If it's a straight swap and I can get a reg'd E36 with buggered head/engine cheap enough I will I think... sick of wasting on the E30...want a 36 again :rolleyes:

Yeah _Matt_, Id also be keen to know the process you took. I recently used the BMW touch up paint, looks a little rough and on a sunny day it sicks out like the proverbial dogs bollocks. I think I need to sand the lacquer down?

are you talking about stone chips or have you used a spray can?

i just used a tooth pick to get the paint into the stone chips, waited a min or so for it to dry a bit and wiped the excess away with wax and grease remover. that way it preserves the original paint and just fills the hole with the correct colour.

Edited by _Matt_

i just used a tooth pick to get the paint into the stone chips, waited a min or so for it to dry a bit and wiped the excess away with wax and grease remover. that way it preserves the original paint and just fills the whole with the correct colour.

So following that you then did a cut and polish?

So following that you then did a cut and polish?

for stone chips, no, although i might try it and let you know how it goes :) - at the moment i am only cutting and polishing the spray job ive done on the fender as that has come out very matte.

spray > 1500 wet paper > cutting solution > polish and wax

Edited by _Matt_

i just used a tooth pick to get the paint into the stone chips, waited a min or so for it to dry a bit and wiped the excess away with wax and grease remover. that way it preserves the original paint and just fills the whole with the correct colour.

Yeah, I think you did it the right way.. whereas I did it the wrong way..

For a stone chip and deep 'scuff' I applied the touch up paint in a square shape, being stupid enough to think, "itll blend nice when its dried". Then applied the lacquer thinking the same thing. Now the chips gone, but you can see a nice little square... hmmm <_<

Hi guys.

The driver-side wiper on my E39 520i stopped working. Few days before this happened, whenever I switched on the wiper, there was some screeching noise coming from the wiper motor area. I sprayed some WD40 on it, and the noise reduced by half. But later the right side stopped moving altogether. There is still some noise while the left side moves. The noise only happens when wiper moves, and not while the wiper is static, for example when the switch is on intermittent. Is there any DIY I can do to check what might be the problem. Or is it definitely the motor?

Thanks

Tighten the 13mm nut on the wiper arm with the wipers in the parked position and hold the wiper arm in its correct parked position

Tighten the 13mm nut on the wiper arm with the wipers in the parked position and hold the wiper arm in its correct parked position

I'll try it out after I get home. Thanks Glenn. :rolleyes:

What are the metal clips on the front brakes and what do they do? Noticed today that the e36 coupe doesn't have them though my sedan does. Number 8 on the diagramme. Cheers

post-5369-1281074014.png

You are spot on Glenn! And I also found 2 small hoses protected together in a plastic tube jutting out underneath the bonnet hood, that blocked the right-side wiper on the end tip. That probably contributed to the problem.

^Is that not the anti rattle clip? (I could be wrong)

it pulls the calliper back after you stop braking, notice its a sliding type calliper? its like a return spring.

What are the metal clips on the front brakes and what do they do? Noticed today that the e36 coupe doesn't have them though my sedan does. Number 8 on the diagramme. Cheers

Its the anti rattle clip.

Yes it is commonly called an anti rattle spring. It must be fitted as it also supports the calliper on the carrier. which inturn stops the disc pads from rattling. Get a couple of 2nd hand ones or new $30ea. Fit them correctly or they will fall out again

post-5369-1281074014.png

have plenty, if you still need some

cheers

J & K

Thanks guys, there is a slight rattle! will get on too it this weekend. B)

Hey guys, quick question;

Got moss growing on some parts of rubber around my windows. Any decent ways to remove it? soapy water or something?

oh, and also my rear window demister fuse (under the passenger seat) gets unbelievably hot when in use. To the point where it melts the fuses plastic (doesnt blow the fuse) and deforms it. Any ideas if thats normal?

Edited by nickbawt