Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

TXTing

"lesbian" chatrooms FTL

I try and confuse people when I TXT a reply, I Use English.

I notice the the little box on the botton left of this page ["ENGLISH"]must be faulty, whenever I click onto it, it doesn't decipher TXT into English

I'm all for texting. I definitely agree it's more of an age thing, as now I'm older and wiser and 21 :rolleyes: I probably text less than I did when I was 14 or whatever. But in saying that it's proper convenient, especially for me to keep in contact with kids back home as I'm overseas. And there's no pissing around with the small talk that you might have in a regular call, you're pretty much forgiven for being straight to the point.

Seems like this issue of TXTing has created quite a discussion. I don't text alot - just when absolutely necessary - phoning is quicker, and less prone to misunderstanding. As sakdbma mentioned, "...get messed up through text messaging, people can take things the wrong way so easily...".

Edited by John B

COMMUNication: from the Latin "to make common", ie: to make thoughts, ideas, information, & concepts 'common' between two or more people. Communication only occurs IF there is a common understand of the information exchanged.

The problem with text messaging, and in particular the abbreviated language used when texting, is that often there is not a common understanding at the end of the process - both parties don't have the same understanding of what was said. Therefore 'communication' hasn't really taken place!

If the person / people receiving your text (or should I say TXT?) don't understand the abbreviated 'short-hand' used, then you haven't really achieved much - you may understand what you're saying, but they may not! And I'll admit, I'm often bloody confused with some of the abbreviated 'short-hand' that I receive.

In addition to the issue of 'short-hand', there's another short-coming with TXTing. Research shows that when speaking face-to-face...

• 10% of meaning is in the actual words spoken
  • 40% is in the tone / way that the words are said
  • 50% is in your actions / facial expression
...so people gain most of their information / interruption (up to 90%) from the non-verbal / non-word signals. And yet when TXTing we only use words - there are no 'non-verbal' signals! And words normally only convey about 10% of the meaning of a communication. No wonder there is so much miscommunication, misunderstanding, and misinterruption when TXTing.

Scary thought isn't it!!

Edited by John B

The English language is suposed to be a living thing. hence the ever changing words in the dictionary because of usage. No doubt texting will change things as most people don't spell well and texting covers this up nicely and also the correct construction of sentences So the spoken word will change like it or not To slow this down speak to people or write them a letter.Are you in that much of a hurry?I believe that along with drug addiction. Alcohol addiction and sex addiction(just thought I'd put that in there to spice it up a bit)I believe that we are all addicted to phones.So we are doomed anyway you look at it.Just a question here how long could you go without a phone?

Seems like this issue of TXTing has created quite a discussion

That was the intention, I'm glad this issues being communicated, Its a topic that frequents our end of year exams - another option.

B)-->

QUOTE(John B @ Aug 2 2006, 03:40 AM) 88891[/snapback]

COMMUNication: from the Latin "to make common", ie: to make thoughts, ideas, information, & concepts 'common' between two or more people. Communication only occurs IF there is a common understand of the information exchanged.

The problem with text messaging, and in particular the abbreviated language used when texting, is that often there is not a common understanding at the end of the process - both parties don't have the same understanding of what was said. Therefore 'communication' hasn't really taken place!

If the person / people receiving your text (or should I say TXT?) don't understand the abbreviated 'short-hand' used, then you haven't really achieved much - you may understand what you're saying, but they may not! And I'll admit, I'm often bloody confused with some of the abbreviated 'short-hand' that I receive.

In addition to the issue of 'short-hand', there's another short-coming with TXTing. Research shows that when speaking face-to-face...

• 10% of meaning is in the actual words spoken
  • 40% is in the tone / way that the words are said
  • 50% is in your actions / facial expression
...so people gain most of their information / interruption (up to 90%) from the non-verbal / non-word signals. And yet when TXTing we only use words - there are no 'non-verbal' signals! And words normally only convey about 10% of the meaning of a communication. No wonder there is so much miscommunication, misunderstanding, and misinterruption when TXTing.

Scary thought isn't it!!

You're absolutely right- I have been the victim of many misunderstandings, people taking things completely the opposite of how it was intended, and has landed me in the (to put it bluntly) sh*t. Thats why I now TXT usuing full English, that way it reduces the chance of my TXT being misinterpreted.

Also - funny how I've only sent 10 TXTs in the past 3 days... Using the phone alot more.. :D

I'm all for texting. I definitely agree it's more of an age thing, as now I'm older and wiser and 21 I probably text less than I did when I was 14 or whatever.

Were there (TXT able) cellphones around in 1999? If so, where they widely available?

The first SMS was sent on a GSM network in 1992 (UK), so yes. I left NZ in 98 and BellSouth had their network up and running well by then. And in 1995 an average of 0.4 SMS per month were sent on the Vodafone network.

P.S. SMS, Short Message Service (TXT, is the numbskulls term for the facility)

PXT, is an MMS.

Edited by cainchapman

i rocked txt in 1998 me and one other dude had phones that could txt, i saw no point in it to begin with.

after it went nuts i sold my phone and went cell less for like a year and a bit. was the best feeling noone could get hold of me unless i felt like it.

done it again about a year and a half ago, its good to do every now and then.

no phone for the win

Guest Andrew

I was living in Malaysia in 1997 when my parents bought me a phone and txting first became popular over there. It was more of a cool trick back then. All we had were those chunky assed alcatels - but it was FREE - I think the networks soon cottoned on that it was worth something.

There was only GSM txt at that stage.

Txting has its place - I hate writing txts as it takes so much effort, but I like the ability to fire thoughts at people whenever I feel like it even if they aren't there. They get back to me later. I also do this by sending voicemail messages which the same price as txting.

Calls are less cumbersome, but I find that in noisy environments or where both parties are busy, txting allows a more convenient time frame for the conversation. It also allows for last minute thoughts that would normally be lost as the receiver has been just put down as by txt the conversation never really stops.

I just sold my car with no communication whatsoever other than txt and then a final ph call last night to set up a when and where to do the transaction. Even the pre-purchase inspection was arranged by txt. The purchaser was able to txt questions as she thought of them instead of trying to sort out a whole list at once. Negotiation is harder, but not impossible.

txt flirting is the win too. Meet, impress someone and then get their number. Want to invite them over for more than just coffee? easy to set up by txt - much harder on the phone or face to face. By txt you are less liekly to say something wrong and if you do, you explain it away by saying they misunderstood your txt! easy?

And as far as communication without verbal and non-verbal clues? What the hell do you think this forum and the entire worlds' written history is??? As long as you are careful its amazing what meaning can be expressed by text alone.

All that said, a ph call is often easier and much more enjoyable, but for those of you avoiding technology such as txt/sms then your missing out on a great tool.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

I love it when teenagers claim they "couldn't survive" without their phone/txting etc.

The only upside is that confiscating a cellphone is the best new way to punish a teenager without resorting to physical violence (albeit not as fun).