Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

TXTing

Howdy Guys,

So,what is your opinion on this new phenomenon, "TXTing"

Where has basic human communication dissapeared to?

I've just spent the last half-hour discussing the pros and cons of txting. Mum thinks that its destroying human social interactions.

I think shes right, to a certain degree.

I don't think it is much of an issue for the "older" generation,as they were never really brought up with cellphones,computers, or MSN. In fact, salesmen at my work don't really use their cellphones to TXT, nor to email.Infact, Its rather surprsing when you get a txt from and older person . Whats happening with our generation?

(I really should've written my speech on this, come to think of it.)

TXTlish has become a rather prominent and annoying issue on Bimmersport too. Some people come on "ah, dis b my ride, i rely lyk it, its gt 18" mags, mst ov it is rst free..." etc. They're used to it. "Im usd to txtlish,soz..."

Don't get me wrong, txting is great, for things that don't really require a cellphone conversation, a quick txt to say "I love you" is mint (:P) But, give it time, and people won't really use phones, let alone even see each other.

I'm just after you opinion really, I'm going to go call a mate.

Ciao

holla

yeah i use predictive because i hate text lanuage its ok for some stuff like you (u) but i still text heaps its way cheaper than calling!! except when i have my work phone handy.

Emma, such wisdom from someone of your age! I text a bit, but use complete words (T9). It's great to keep in touch with mates overseas and say Hi from time to time and not wake them at some ungodly hour. E-mail is just as bad, wait until you work in a large office and people won't even get off their arse and walk to the next department (and an internal call is free). But send an e-mail instead. Generally, I'll hold a conversation and then confirm with an e-mail on what was agreed to in the discussion.

Automated receptionists are my pet hate. I just push 0 and talk to a real person.

I prefer to use predictive, but most people i know tend to use txt language, i just prefer spelling things in full..

One of the biggest deficiencies with texting and email, I find is that the tone and/or the meaning can so easily be misinterpreted.

Sarcasm is completely lost. Lowest form of wit maybe, but the text generation is missing out on it's burn! No wonder people are so precious these days!

email and txt is fine,but nothng can sort out an issue,problem,or misunderstanding like a phone call,or even better a face to face.also with texting and cell phones i think it is harder to get people to actually committ to a event or function,cos everything can be organised at the last minute,so things are organised or decided at the last minute.

However some things are made easier...email newsletters and mailing lists and TXT cancellation services sound cool!

I laboriously type out most everything when texting,must try other methods!

I don't like txting much, but must admit it is good for a quick msg without having to go through the whole phone call. I prefer to use my Blackberry for emails whenever I can.

sarcasm works well...people misunderstand and get offended..i love it

predictive is TFB..cant see why people dont just take a day or so to try get used to it...makes reading everything so much easier.

021 free weekends rule..you can txt so much dumb sh*t

sarcasm works well...people misunderstand and get offended..i love it

predictive is TFB..cant see why people dont just take a day or so to try get used to it...makes reading everything so much easier.

021 free weekends rule..you can txt so much dumb sh*t

And Gosh! Its all about texting dumb sh*t really! :P Haha nah but texting is all good in moderation with "real" interaction, if you get what I'm prodding at? Sure keep in touch via text and all, but don't rely on it as your sole form of communication! Then again, who ever does. <_<

One of the biggest deficiencies with texting and email, I find is that the tone and/or the meaning can so easily be misinterpreted.

Sarcasm is completely lost. Lowest form of wit maybe, but the text generation is missing out on it's burn! No wonder people are so precious these days!

I couldn't agree more!

Teenage/Youth are too obsessed with TXTing. Working in retail that sells mobile phone, young people come in for a phone, the first thing they ask is "do they TXT?", follow by "how good are the key pads?". Their parents' only complain about mobile phones is that their children are spending too much on TXTing despite the free weekend and $10 TXT.

I am 26 years old. I only text a handful of message a month for the last 3 years because I prefer to call. When I do text, they are in full spelling with punctation. I mean, why not in full spelling? You got 160 characters per message, since you are charged per message, why not use it to the max?

TXT itself might well be a scam from the networks, much of the marketing are focused on TXTing, they have rising profit from TXTing in the last couple of years. But when you think of it, things that you can talk in a 1 minute phone call (which is a lot!) could used 6+ text messages to get across.

I really don’t understand why the teens think that if they can write in TXT language, they are into something cool. For all I know, many years later, school work and exams will be completed in TXT language, English become a lost art like Latin. There is already Holy Bible in TXT language, what’s next? Oxford TXT Dictionary?

I get a tad annoyed when people feel that using txt on forums like this is acceptable. Yes, it may well be de rigeur on a gaming forum and the like, but for places like a BMW forum?

I applaud Andrew's attempts to keep this place as an English language forum.

When I txt - I use whole words and maintain correct spelling. That said, if I really want to communicate, I'll just drop round to a friend's place for a coffee and a chat.

Guest Andrew

Howdy Guys,

So,what is your opinion on this new phenomenon, "TXTing"

Where has basic human communication dissapeared to?

I disagree with you completely - basic human instinct is communication hence the reason this new technology is so attractive to us. Sure there are other issues with txting, but it is hardly a major problem in society.

Personally, i'll only txt when I can't make a call (as a general rule). Mainly because I have no idea how to use predictive and it takes bloody ages.

I disagree with you completely - basic human instinct is communication hence the reason this new technology is so attractive to us. Sure there are other issues with txting, but it is hardly a major problem in society.

Personally, i'll only txt when I can't make a call (as a general rule). Mainly because I have no idea how to use predictive and it takes bloody ages.

I'd rather receive a drunken txt than a drunken call at 2:30am

I'd rather receive a drunken txt than a drunken call at 2:30am

im sure grant would most likely agree with you

man i love going out :D

predictive ftw!

txting is good to get simple messages across, cheaply and they stay on the persons phone for when they are ready to read them.

i prefer calling because it is a beeter means of communication but it costs more and the person has to pick up the phone on the other end.

txting is good for breaking the ice with a member of the opposite sex because they can take their time to reply and there are no awkward silences. HOWEVER txts can often get lost in translation and misinterpreted.

I think society is slowly learning the most effective and most appropriate way/time to use txt, it's just one of those things that we are adapting to and like andrew said it is by no means unnatural to communicate this way if it was we wouldn't have taken to like we have.

Yeh, its just intermediate and high school kids that are addicted, and weve all been there, they'll grow out of it. I find its much quicker to have a phone call conversation with somebody as I dont understand txt language, lol T9 all the way if you have to.

It's actually quite amazing how communication has changed everything.

In my day bullying was a physical thing but now kids are psychologically attacking each other using internat and txt. This is incredibly dangerous because psychological attacks are ever more devastating than physical attacks.

RE what Ollie said, if people txt each other out because the repercussions of failure are easier to handle, then how are you ever going to meet someone new? I think i'd prefer to ask someone out to her face, the on the spot response is far more exciting, emailing or txting someone would only give the impression that you have no confidence and confidence is a huge winner.

I now also hear that Christchurch students from one high school have been using a website to canvass each other for s*xual meetings. Such prolific actions at such a young age...

Guest Spargo

Give me that website.

You can say alot more with 200 minutes anytime than 25 dollars worth of txt.

RE what Ollie said, if people txt each other out because the repercussions of failure are easier to handle, then how are you ever going to meet someone new? I think i'd prefer to ask someone out to her face, the on the spot response is far more exciting, emailing or txting someone would only give the impression that you have no confidence and confidence is a huge winner.

Good point but how do you meet up with them in the first place to ask them out?

I try to avoid txt conversations: waste of time, too much is lost etc.

One thing that gets me is when your in a room full of people and everyone is in there own little world txting away.

One thing that gets me is when your in a room full of people and everyone is in there own little world txting away.

Yes - that was a major issue at our schools open night jus ta week ago - girls were txting away to their little mates in front of the people we were supposed to be showing around, whatever happened to basic courtesy.

I have been in so much sh*t in the past for TXT's being misinterpreted, it is really annoying.

Yea - High School kids are obsessed, well,most of them are..

You bitch

im sure grant would most likely agree with you

man i love going out :D

You bitch

Txtn is a great thing but does have its disadvantages, it shows no emotion and as said before you cannot be sarcastic via txt, things get messed up through text messaging, people can take things the wrong way so easily. fully prefer calling, if they don't pick up you know they are busy so you don't bother continuing to get hold of them. When people don't txt back its more a case of sending another text to ask why they aren't texting back. i dunno im probably talking crap but i prefer to call and talk to someone, txting feels to much like a chat room....

txting feels to much like a chat room....

asl?