Sign in to follow this  
Docile

instrument panel installation

ok, planning on buying a new "REVERSE GLOW GAUGES" instrument cluster for my car. anyone know how to remove the needle on the gauges so i can install the new (face plates).

or better yet. anyone know how to dothe whole thing?

cheers.

whilst on this topic, anyone know how to change the fuel light bulb? E30 BTW

whilst on this topic, anyone know how to change the fuel light bulb? E30 BTW

Just call Gus with his famous hammer.... ^_^

Seriously, you have to remove the cluster. I have tried to do it without removing the cluster but gave up. Take off the steering wheel to make removing the cluster easier.

anyone know how to remove the needle on the gauges so i can install the new (face plates).

You need to GENTLY lever them off. I use a pair of long nose tweezers, slide around base of needle, use a piece of thin hard plastic under the points so you dont damage the face of the dial and pry gently upwards. Replace by placing the needle over the pin, press down gently, then align the needle to the zero mark and press more firmly to lock it in place.

Be careful as the needles are easy to damage/break.

Will

Yeah - the needles are really thin aluminium - I've bent one before almost to irretreivable levels but managed to straighten it out without it snapping.

Fuel light is one of the small bulbs that come with the black plastic holder included.

Whilst on this subject, I had the bulb for iluminating the speedo go phut on me and it melted the orange plastic 'dome' that gives it its colour at the same time. Have a new bulb in the garage right now with orange "high temp" paint drying. Will put on the car tonight and see how close my colour match is.

If it works it'll be the go for all you Honda drivers out there lusting after orange instrument lights.

cheers guys.. wil ltry and be careuful when i install my instrument cluster :)

Whilst on this subject, I had the bulb for iluminating the speedo go phut on me and it melted the orange plastic 'dome' that gives it its colour at the same time. Have a new bulb in the garage right now with orange "high temp" paint drying. Will put on the car tonight and see how close my colour match is.

Have spare domes Graham..

But you can buy orange bulbs for instrument clusters anyway.

Will

Ahh but I had the paint and the bulb already. And I was in the painting mood as the reason the cluster was out is I was painting my needles red. (Which by the way look way better than yours Gus... again :D )

If it doesn't work I'll rob a dome off you.

Cheers

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Worked fantastically. light is slightly dimmer but exact colour match and less brightspots - more even light and colour. Almost worth doing the other bulb the same.

Three coats of "newfire red" which is a pretty good match for henna at a glance.