Sign in to follow this  
savvi

tappet noise

my tappets r noisy on my e30 325is, is this a problem or is it normal 4 this model car has done 285 ks, an can they be tightened to stop the noise with out causing other problems as it is going to the mechanic 2morrow any help would b great

get them to adjust the valve clearances, is kinda hard to do yourself, esp if your me..mine quieted a lot after having someone prob do it for me.

Hi there,

Sure can & should be reset, it is typical for noisy tappets in these engines when they are loose, easy job to reset if you know how - about 1/2 hrs work. Clearences should be 8 or 10 thou - can't remember which offhand. If not sure how - best to get someone who knows.

Cheers

You should check that the eccentric adjusters are directly over the valve stems. If not, you need to move the rocker shaft to a position so they are. If they are not directly over the valve stems, they will wear unevenly and make adjusting the clearances impossible.

These eccentric adjusters also wear flat spots on themselves even if they are directly over the stems after high mileage. This also makes it difficult to set the clearances.

I would remove a couple on each bank and check for wear and replace all if you find any flatspotting or uneven wear.

I know a few tricks to sort these problems out but they are too difficult to explain here. So if you are ever in Kerikeri, drop in and I'll show you.. :blink:

Will

Hi there,

Sure can & should be reset, it is typical for noisy tappets in these engines when they are loose, easy job to reset if you know how - about 1/2 hrs work. Clearences should be 8 or 10 thou - can't remember which offhand. If not sure how - best to get someone who knows.

Cheers

thanks guys how much should i expect to pay

You should check that the eccentric adjusters are directly over the valve stems. If not, you need to move the rocker shaft to a position so they are. If they are not directly over the valve stems, they will wear unevenly and make adjusting the clearances impossible.

These eccentric adjusters also wear flat spots on themselves even if they are directly over the stems after high mileage. This also makes it difficult to set the clearances.

I would remove a couple on each bank and check for wear and replace all if you find any flatspotting or uneven wear.

I know a few tricks to sort these problems out but they are too difficult to explain here. So if you are ever in Kerikeri, drop in and I'll show you.. :blink:

Will

so a prov mechanic should pic those probs up no worries then, ill print out your comment an take to mechanic just in case, thanks

Gus the Race-Car Mechanic only charges $15/hour

i take it that he is based in chch

If you find yourself doing clearances, and can't remember which is 10 or 8 thou ( or what ever), just think of heat and expansion.

Exhaust is always the greater of the two if there is a differance.

TIP: If you don't understand, don't lift the bonnet

:)

If you find yourself doing clearances, and can't remember which is 10 or 8 thou ( or what ever), just think of heat and expansion.

Exhaust is always the greater of the two if there is a differance.

TIP: If you don't understand, don't lift the bonnet

:)

im not doing it my local mechanic will b doing it so they should know once they take the rocker cover off an have a look an c wats going on thanks 4 your input

Just make sure they don't over tighten them. It is better to have them noisy and in proper adjustment than quiet and too tight as this will create extra wear on your cams and the problem will soon return, but now with even more wear. PLus over tightening can lead to running issues like uneven idle and flatspots.

I know because I've been through the entire process and ended up with a car that ran great and performed as expected, but noisy tappets - whoopie doo.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

PLus over tightening can lead to running issues like uneven idle and flatspots.

I know because I've been through the entire process and ended up with a car that ran great and performed as expected, but noisy tappets - whoopie doo.

Not to forget burnt or possibly bent valves after you give your new quiet motor the big rev........Just remember the old saying-a noisy tappet is a happy tappet.....as long as it dont sound like a tractor!!!!!

Not to forget burnt or possibly bent valves after you give your new quiet motor the big rev........Just remember the old saying-a noisy tappet is a happy tappet.....as long as it dont sound like a tractor!!!!!

so then noisy tappets isnt going to creat big problems or get even more loose if i dont get them tightened up

car as good pick up, no missfire or flat spots, just a bit worried that when i give it a kick in the guts its not going to break on me

moderately noisy tappets nothing over the top just sounds embarassing.

Just turn the stereo up a few notches otherwise get used to the rather soothing tickety tick tick

you can get an "additive" that you can add to your oil that will shut them up a bit. sorry i cant remember what its called but ill find out. i do remember its bloody expensive. and remember

a slappy tappets a happy tappet ...

most E30's have noisy tappets. between my tappet noise and my noisy injectors i can hardly hear my engine at idle.

Edited by 325GRANT