Sign in to follow this  
ajsmith

Pod filter ...

Hey all,

To start with, I have no idea what Im talking about so there is no need to take the pi$$, i already know I'm useless as far as this stuff is concerned.

The other day I saw a pod filter sitting in the front kit of a 320i. I licked the look.

Ive got a 318i and its auto so I know im not really ever going to get anything more out of it proformance wise but I was thinking of doing something similar.

Im assuming that there is a hose extension of some kind running from the pod to the engine. Just wandering, is this a special customer built hose or can you do a home handy man job. Are there entire kits that you can get to do this???

All help is always appreciated.

cheey

It was probably done by the owner although there are any number of performance-oriented motor tuners who would be willing to rob you to do it for you.

It will have just been a bit of rubber hose the right diameter and length extending from the AFM (Air Flow Meter) to the filter. Done properly it may enhance performance, but by an unnoticable amount.

You'll need an adapter to fit the hose to the AFM and then jubilee-clip the hose to the filter. Then mount the filter with a bracket made out of some of that flexible metal stock with all the holes in it like used for securing aftermarket headunits.

try not to drive through puddles too

wouldnt be hard to make out of exhaust tube.

that said, im guessing the one you saw had some sort of turbo motor in it.

ok general question. who has put a pod filter in their car? as im thinking of putting one in. but im kind having second doubts as if i do put one in (without a separator) the intake would just suck in hot air from the engine :o

anyone made or bought a separator between the pod - engine? and where to get one or whats needed to make it

i had a pod filter and it didnt make any difference apart from induction noise. a few people here have had idle problems after fitting a pod filter.

full CAi in mine. word.

cold air for the win

ok general question. who has put a pod filter in their car? as im thinking of putting one in. but im kind having second doubts as if i do put one in (without a separator) the intake would just suck in hot air from the engine :o

anyone made or bought a separator between the pod - engine? and where to get one or whats needed to make it

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....p;p=entry

like its says either had the bits lying around, got them from pick-a-part or offcuts from metal places.

Hardest bit was brackets for the AFM, they're pretty decent though.

Feel free to ask if something not clear.

edit, no probs with idle here.

Edited by petone

infact i have the litle plastic adaptor you need to connect the pod filter to the afm.

i no longer need it so if you want it let me know.

i put a pod filter in mine, e36 318is,manual :) just got it sticking straight out of the AFM bought the adapter for it and all, noticed a small increase in power makes a nice sound to :) made a bracket to hold the AFM steady that bolts on to the strut tower, would like to get some piping to bend it further down away from the heat thoe, just having trouble finding 3 inch piping.

no idle problems she occasionally misses but i think thats an unrelated problem, dont know maybe shes sucking to much heat in and causing her to miss?.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong:

The idle problem is caused by changing the distance of the AFM from the intake manifold. Moving the filter away from the AFM makes no difference as there is still air accessible - i.e. beteen the filter and the AFM. However if you move the AFM, the AFM is now further away from where it was tuned to sit and therefore causing problems when idling.

May also be issues with the ICV and AFM

Well thats my intuition.

Idle problems are usually casued by either vacuum leaks, incorrect AFM setting, malfunctioning ICV, or malfunctioning TPS. Changing the filter shouldn't screw the idle, more like the rough handling has caused a vacuum leak in the rubber boot between the AFM and TB.

Edited by Carl

wow, didnt realise i'd get such a resonse! cheers guys.

It seems that it is what I thought. With a bit of clever thinking and playing around I should be able to do it myself.

I'll try and get all the bits and bobs this weekend and see what I come up with.