Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

Dunedin

This weekend i'm comin down to Dunedin for NZUSA conference, feed me with some ideas for what i can get up to in the spare time that i have down there...

am staying at the law-courts hotel (scum but all good)

Visit Baldwin St. Go to the Cook for a beer. Have dinner at the Lone Star. Visit Larnach Castle (NZ's only). You should be able to pull, if Uni is still in.

Drive around the peninsula,visit Emma (=p!!) frequent the bars, visit car yards =p, Larnach castle. Definitely the lone star, Octagon, movies, go to the beach. Many things.

great little section of road heading up to larnach castle, but I'm guessing you wont have your car down.

I prefer albert arms to the other pubs, pretty sure uni finishes this week so there probly a few out on friday atleast

This weekend i'm comin down to Dunedin for NZUSA conference

Can you ask them why I have to pay $90 a year for a compulsory student union fee, when I have no desire to ever be in a union of any form? :huh:

Edited by ThreeOneEight

Can you ask them why I have to pay $90 a year for a compulsory student union fee, when I have no desire to ever be in a union of any form? :huh:

i will ask for you. there are ways of getting around it btw

What to do...strip down to your undies and start a riot, race down that steep as street in a wheelie bin, or burn a few couches perhaps? Not much to do there really, is like Hamilton in alot of ways.

Will - because when I was at uni they had avote regarding compulsory union fees and even though I voted against it, the vote went the other way and compulsory fees won.

Ollie - There are better places to eat than Lone Star (sorry cain) Theres a mean Italian place upstairs opposite the Rialto (I forget its name but they sell italian and tuscan food and have musicians wandering about etc), or they do a mean meal and beer at the outback, but its the outback so thats for the lose. The woolshed does a fab meal and beer too. Or go down Bath St and find a tiny restaurant called Tull - the subs are so-so, but the dessert menu is off the hook - do a death-by-chocolate type dish that is pretty good for about $15.

Larnach castle is OK, if you are out that way go a bit further and go to the seal colony at the end of the peninsula. Tunnel beach is a cracker of a beach to get away from the rest of the punters flocking to St Kilda/St Clair and its a short drive away.

Fav "fanging" roads if you have wheels - Leith Valley Rd (Go up Duke St in North Dunedin by George St Normal School and follow it all the way to the main Highway a few km north of Dunedin - there is a bridge on the gravel you can get air on)

Queens Drive - twisty bush about 600m from main street

Tomahawk and highcliff rds out to Lanarch

and the road up to the Lookout at Signal Hill - you can go see baldwin st while you are up that way. Way back in the days- it was a test of your car to see how fast you could drive up baldwin st. In the 80's apparently old falcons etc used to fang it up there mighty quick. I won't say how quick we did it in my student days as it was a pretty dumb thing to do - a guy I knew was the guy who was in the wheelie bin sliding down baldwin st when the chick died.

Its student hols so the pubs will be a bit quieter than usual.

hehehe queens drive when slippery :D funn funn, i lived in dunedin about 3 years ago while at high school but still visit every now and then always a good time!!

well it was a pretty good weekend, the weather was awesome and i got boozy, very boozy! i only really saw a bit of town and can't remember what bars i went to because i had drunk 3 bottles of wine in 3 hours on fri night.

all round dunedin is a pretty cool little town, can't really call it a city though.