Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Tint Help Please

Hey I'm just starting to pull finger and get onto doing the E30.

Anyway I was thinking of buying (decent) tint rolls and tinting it myself.I know that I sould get it done properly but I really have no money lol.I was thinking I should keep it all legit and do 35%'s all round and not have to worry about anything.But i looked at a mates car with 35's and they werent really that dark.I was thinking maybe if I went 20% all round and 35% on the rear windshield to keep it a bit more legit.

Just wondering what others have done / gotten away with

Any help would be much appreciated

Chur

Ashkan

Hey I'm just starting to pull finger and get onto doing the E30.

Anyway I was thinking of buying (decent) tint rolls and tinting it myself.I know that I sould get it done properly but I really have no money lol.I was thinking I should keep it all legit and do 35%'s all round and not have to worry about anything.But i looked at a mates car with 35's and they werent really that dark.I was thinking maybe if I went 20% all round and 35% on the rear windshield to keep it a bit more legit.

Just wondering what others have done / gotten away with

Any help would be much appreciated

Chur

Ashkan

Haha hope you have tinted windows before, they are a PITA! best to pay someone to do it and then you wont waste money by f'ing it up yourself. I got 20% on the back and 35% on the sides, never had trouble with it...

Ohh yeh I thought that the back window was the main problem?Yeh havent done it before but a few people have said its pretty mission aye.Might test it on the holden first lol.

SOMEONE BUY THE HOLDEN!

i've tinted a few cars and can honestly say i'm never going to do it again, it is the most painstaking experience and the results can be like a kick in the nuts if you f**k up. you'll never be able to do the rear window because it has a curve on 2 axis. the side windows are doable but will take you a full day so you might as well go to work for an extra day and the pay the pro's to do it properly (with waranty)

sweet.

Ohh yeh sweet as,"not doing them yourself" seems to be the trend here aye lol.So then change the topic all together,wheres a decent place to get them done.My dad just got his van done at Tint-Magic and the results weren't worth the $400 odd he paid.

Ohh and also the %'s of tints people done.Im still keen to go 20% on the sides and 35% on the back so I dont get pulled over- I'm going to get the tails smoked eventually so dont want it to be cop bait.

Thanks

I done tinting once, never again. If you are really broke then give the sides ago but forget about the back one.

I've had trouble with the cops from 35%, BMWs have a factory tint which makes it a tad darker than 35%

Ohh yeh thats right I remember someone saying that.

Anyone got a vague(spelling?) idea how much it would cost to get just the back window done?

Cheers

I know you arent in south auckland but ill give you a guys number that tints my windows, tell him i sent you and he will do you a deal, bout 220 for sides and rear from memory, does a good job, ill give you the card when i see you re: suspesion.

Cheers

Chris

My brother has 5% on his on all windows axcept the windscreen obviously, and has never had a problem. Has been pulled over quite a lot of times but never been told anything about the tints.

Sweet as Chris,I'd drive up there if it was $220,thats sweet as Cheers bro.

Yeh I had 5% on my KE30 and cops told me to rip them off so yeh dont wanna piss round this time.Think I'll just get 35 all round keep it safe and whatnot haha

Thanks

wouldnt it be wise to have the darker one on the back as if somebody is going to test if its legit they will 9 times out of 10 check the side window.

wouldnt it be wise to have the darker one on the back as if somebody is going to test if its legit they will 9 times out of 10 check the side window.

Hmmm really don't know and wouldnt have a clue at all.What about like 20% all round apart from driver and passenger front windows.Do them in 35%.That'd probably work aye?

I'd say go with 35's unless you can afford to throw them away when told they're too dark?

I recently got my e30 tinted 35% all round and its dark enough for me.

I thought a few pics might help.

post-825-1157005072_thumb.jpg

post-825-1157005365_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mikal

Dude that 35% looks pretty mint aye.

Quite a bit darker than the 35's on mates car.

There you go then 35's it is I suppose.

Cheers

I probably shouldn't have put the pic of the side windows up, the angle makes it look darker.

my car was done professionally before i bought it and that was 3 years ago they still look ok, wouldnt mind getting fresh ones, but they arent bad, the rear is done also, and i always do my front tint strips myslef cos pros wont do over 10cm, and its easy to do windscreen! and i cant find any pics that show you the tints lol.. try it urself first, if its a coupe it WILL pay to take the side windows right out and take time

ello ello, im new to this forum but i thought i'd add my 2c.

i used to sell tint but had never put it on a car so i decided to tint my bmw, did all 4 windows, f**ked up in a few places, all in all wasnt to hard. I decided to give it another go so i riped of some of the tint and re tinted the driver side last week, came out f**king mint. can probaly do a window in about 5-10 minutes, nearly mint, sometimes the occasional f**k up. i decided to tint my back window last week too.. since the roll isnt as wide as the window is you have to use 2 strips right.. so i lined the tint up with the top heater strip and tinted the lower 9/10th's with 35% black and the top 1/10th 15% mirror. looks mint~ did it on the OUTSIDE of the window though because the back window is a complete B***H and i didnt want to rip out the heater lines. I also double tinted the rear windows so there is 2x35% layers, just to see how dark it was. It's quite dark, i think im going to double layer the front windows. But ill probaly rip all the tints off and do it all immaculant.

If anyone needs 35% black, 35% mirror or 15% mirror and mirror fade to black tints, let me know. $20 a roll... ill even help you put them on for a doz of corona i guess, as long as you help me drink em. but just not the back window..

I'm not to sure how many rolls I have left but should have a decent amount. I'm not a weird dude either so let me know if you want anything.

Cheer

Edited by bumpdE30

I like my tints.. I decided to get the pros at Tint Magic in Porirua Wellington to do it thanks to a recommendation of Martyns. They are pretty good. Personally I opted for the high quality tints, which cost me just over $300 for sides, and rear. The other films look a bit cheaper although appear darker to the naked eye.

i prefer having the same tint all round...it looks funny when its different. i really like mine..came on the car and dunno what they actually are but its not too dark.

hey just got my car tinted with 35's (midnight express) from tint a car cost $345 for all windows except windscreen ofcourse, looks pretty dark in daylight but less at night time because of the artificial light etc, but still look mint and they did a great job.

yeah man dont tint different shades gus is right, i think it looks funny too, and mine is donw over the heater strips and it hasnt lifted and been like that for at least 3 years now, just dont use the heater!!! it will lift.

hrrrm, yeah it does look a bit out of the ordinary, but the reason i tinted the back with another layer was to see how dark it was, i had heard of people doing two layers. It's quite hard to see inside at daytime, and at nighttime you just cant. I think i'm going to put another layer on the front too. I will try get my friends camera and get some picture of what it looks like :) sweet!

haha and for the backwindow, its not that i wouldnt be able to tint it, its just that i cant be bothered messing around because of the akward (sp?) positions. Unless i look the window out, thats another possibility. I didnt know the heater lifts the tint? i

when you say front i really hope you dont mean the front windshield

Ofcouce not, front as in the 2 front sidewindows. :blink: