Sign in to follow this  
325GRANT

M52 vs S52

M52 are usually alloy block [except USA & SA models]

S52 is a 3.2l M3 version of the USA M52 [uSA M3 that is, not the Euro M3 which is totally different]

capacity..still not sure about the head differences if any. both are one TB. both have EWS i THINk

Look them up on wikipedia - wikipedia has basic specs for all bmw engines plus a list of which models had what engine.

capacity..still not sure about the head differences if any. both are one TB. both have EWS i THINk

Hey Anyone Out There in BEEM BEEM Land that can confirm the head differences [apart from the vanos/dual vanos]

EWS is post 1996

Also I have an EWS engine loom [manual] does anyone know if I can use a non-EWS DME with it [it would make an engine swap easier for me ]

You can run an EWS(OBDII) engine with a nonEWS(OBDI)comp if you convert the intake/sensors.Ie m50 intake manifold ,engine loom etc.

The s52 cams are interchangable with the m52 (&m50 I beleive)cams(nice upgrade)so I dont beleive the s52 is dual vanos.

Dont forget the s52 is north Americam market only.

No such thing as a Euro s52.

The m52TU is dual vanos and electronic throtle body(e46).

Edited by DirtySix

Guest Spargo

Hey Anyone Out There in BEEM BEEM Land that can confirm the head differences [apart from the vanos/dual vanos]

EWS is post 1996

Also I have an EWS engine loom [manual] does anyone know if I can use a non-EWS DME with it [it would make an engine swap easier for me ]

Turner motorsport / Rogue engineering / Conforti all do an EWS disabling chip, which also includes the speed sensor that enables the full rev range.

S50 is 3L (US Market)

S52 is 3.2L

pretty sure S50 is OBD1 while S52 is OBD2

S52 is basically a bigger M52 with hotter cams and maybe a few other bits.