Sign in to follow this  
hazardous_bmw

525i engine into a e30?

First of all can it be done?

do i need different mounts fitted?

do i need a cert?

ok my mate told me that a 525i engine is identical to a 325i engine. my 320 engine lacks power a bit. and i cant be bothered getting heaps of preformance modifications... so a new engine is what i think is on the cards.

please let me know...

Hi,

As long as the 525i is an M20 engine then it is the same as the 320 / 325. The 525i could also be an M30 engine in which case it is different - could probably be made to fit but hardly worth the effort.

Cheers

Grant

Hi,

As long as the 525i is an M20 engine then it is the same as the 320 / 325. The 525i could also be an M30 engine in which case it is different - could probably be made to fit but hardly worth the effort.

Cheers

Grant

what year would the 525 be 85 ish?

Up untill early 88 the 525 had an m20 motor.

actually M20 2.5 went upto about 1990 in the 525i then went to twincam M50 2.5

So, to summarise:

the m20 motor from an 88-90 e34 525i will bolt straight in. After that they had the m50 motor which involves a fair bitmore work to fit, and before that they had the m30 which is way more torquey but lacks the power and response of the m20.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

how much am i looking at paying for the engine?

or shoud i go for a 325i engine?

and do i need a cert?

Edited by hazardous_bmw

To remain strictly legal you will need a cert as the 2.5 engine will make over the 20% threshold allowable....however it should not be a major deal.

Haha I'm running my 2.5 m50 with custom gearbox crossmember, all legal without a cert in my 89 320i.. Painted everything black went up a dirty muddy road took it in for a warrent and they flew it threw no questions asked, Oh they were worried about the change in engine numbers and I just said it was a direct replacement of the old motor,,, hahah old kunt's don't even no what they looking at.

Unless you run a check onthe ecu or engine numbers, from the outside, the m20 b20 (2.0L) and the m20b25 (2.5L) look identical so who's to know.

Pay around $500 - 900 for a m20b25 depending on kms, whether it comes with loom and so on, and whether you get it privately or through a wrecker.

Pay around $1200-2000 for a m50b25 with all the bits plus another $500-2000 to put it in deopending on how much maintenance you do, how many new parts you use and how much you do yourself.

dunno whether or not your insured MrHamwallet but wouldnt be surprised if they refuse to pay out if you have an accident. Just dont crash into anyone and you'll be fine.

Edited by E30stz