Sign in to follow this  
B*Emz

Brake Problems. Help!

Ok so heres the deal,

My e36 Compacts front brakes have been getting madly hot for the last few days, and even got to the point of smoking on saterday. They seem to be locking on to some degree, not to the extent of bieng stuck on at full brake, but enough to hold the car back a bit.

On closer inspection, i.e. wheel off etc, we can't see anything blatantly obvious, other than perhaps the disks need working as theres a slight rim around the outside.

Theres been a lot of brake dust on the wheels and skirts since the problem started and it smells quite bad sometimes.

So before I rush off and spend several hundred on labour and parts can anyone shine some light? Maybe someone out there has had similar problems or has suggestions as to what could be causing this?

Its under warrant at JC, and is insured so anything big will be covered but I dont want to claim agianst either yet.

Cheeeeeers!

Edited by B*Emz

Seized disc, perhaps? Unfortunately never all that cheap. Go to Pitstop/ Midas in Kerikeri (if you have one) in a small skirt. Should solve the problem fairly affordably.

I think the same things happening to my car too.Stops it pretty good,never smoked but smells real bad.On a slight hill where a car would normally roll back,mine doesnt move.So probably same problem as B*emz?

Sucks if it costs money lol

If it's under warranty, get them to fix it, shouldn't cost you anything. Plus, if you leave it, they'll probably tell you that you voided the warranty by not bringing the problem to their attention.

The Problem is a Seized Piston in the Calipers

This can happen after new pads are fitted [the piston is squeezed back to fit new pads]

Brake fluid is hydroscopic [attracts moisture]so there is usually corosion behind the piston.

If the calipers aren't leaking [just seized],you can repair them by cleaning them and fitting a new O-ring kit

[you have to use compressed air to push out the pistons, not vice-grips]

Yeah, sounds like seized caliper pistons. Pull them and check for corrosion on the piston walls, many people fix them up with a rebuild kit (new seals and whatnot, from the dealer) if it's not too severe.

The problem is intermittent in that every so often the brakes will release fully and problem goes away - for a few knms anyway.

I didn't have time to pull the calipers off and check for a stiff/seized piston when I had the wheel off. I think Emma is having someone look at it this avo.

Pads are about 70% worn. Rotors could do with a skim, but not absolutely necessary yet. is a '95 316Ti with unvented rotors and drums on the rear. About 140kms.

The Problem is a Seized Piston in the Calipers

This can happen after new pads are fitted [the piston is squeezed back to fit new pads]

Brake fluid is hydroscopic [attracts moisture]so there is usually corosion behind the piston.

If the calipers aren't leaking [just seized],you can repair them by cleaning them and fitting a new O-ring kit

[you have to use compressed air to push out the pistons, not vice-grips]

Could also be a seized caliper slider. Piston is probably the main reason for this happening but check for a seized slidder. You could also have a problem where a pad might not be place in the caliper correctly ie, it may be on the piss so to speak. If this is the case it wont allow the pad to move in the caliper and will bend and bind up.

Could also be a seized caliper slider. Piston is probably the main reason for this happening but check for a seized slidder. You could also have a problem where a pad might not be place in the caliper correctly ie, it may be on the piss so to speak. If this is the case it wont allow the pad to move in the caliper and will bend and bind up.

Generally a seized caliper slider acts like a spring [it keeps binding under pressure and then springs back]

usually the first sign of a seized slider is tapered wear on the pads

If Em'z car is still under Dealer warranty, I'm willing to Bet the pads were changed for WOF and the pistons have seized.[this isn't bad mechanicing by the dealer,it just sometimes happens]