Sign in to follow this  
lilme

TURBO E36

anyone know where i can get a decent bolt on setup for my m3 im not sure weather i wanna go supercharged or turbo also any help sorcing a heavy duty clutch for my beast would be all good

post-1379-1159690638_thumb.jpg

hey hows it going, good links for the turboi conversion, i have beenn wanting to power up my 320i as well and seriously considering turbo ing becasue engine conversions as a first thought are going to be to expensive,

just a few questions which i cant find the answer to

do you know how much boost std internals would be able to handle?

what gearbox would you run?? can the auto's handle a decent power up or will they just blow?

what computer where you thinking of running??

have you found any other sites of people who have done this??

i have about 6 grand to improve the performance of my 320i and i belive bang for your buck a turbo is the most effiecnt way to get a decent power up

1. Maximum Boost by Corky Bell

2. Read it

3. Even if you do a majority of the work yourself you would be hard pressed to turbocharge for less than 6grand unless you find a kit, and even if that. And judging by your questions I don't think that is likely.

1. Maximum Boost by Corky Bell

2. Read it

3. Even if you do a majority of the work yourself you would be hard pressed to turbocharge for less than 6grand unless you find a kit, and even if that. And judging by your questions I don't think that is likely.

i realise id be up for a whole lot more than 6g unlike the 320 on here i plan on going for some fairly serious power as iv allready got the m3 engine i think my main problem is going to be finding a clutch that will fit that can handle the power any web sites for parts that you have found would be a big help

post-1379-1159780771_thumb.jpg

i realise id be up for a whole lot more than 6g unlike the 320 on here i plan on going for some fairly serious power as iv allready got the m3 engine i think my main problem is going to be finding a clutch that will fit that can handle the power any web sites for parts that you have found would be a big help

UUC.

They do a flywheel & clutch kit that uses a M5 clutch & pressure plate. dunno if the clutch only works with the stock flywheel??

check out bimmerforums.com/forum find the forced induction forum, there should be plenty in there on turboing your m3!! gud luck, let us know how it goes!

Hey guys, interesting discussion here.

I was thinking about turbo-ing the M42 in my E36 318is but i'm unsure now (i'm after about 200-220hp)

Have you thought about a non-BMW engine swap? (Nissan RB25DET etc.. I'm questioning an SR20DET myself)

if not, i'd go for a 328 swap and work from there.. there's plenty of turbo/supercharged 328's in the states so if you look around (google search turbo e36 is a fairly good start) you'll find plenty of information.. Dinan, AA and a few other American companies offer full bolt-on kits (AA's supercharger kit is apparently an 8 hour job)

do they make kits for right hand drive thouh? When I was researching turboing my M30 I found my main problem was that some parts (extractors and piping etc etc) would just have to be thrown out.

Dinan makes a RHD supercharger kit and AA's turbo kit was able to be optioned left/right hand drive. Unsure if it's still being manufactured.

Cheer's, looks pretty good, claims 192hp at 5.5lb from stock 140hp. Around $6k USD. Plus a minimum of around 16 hours labour (because something WILL go wrong) plus tuning time and dyno time.

So.. do you think I could build something equivalent for the $12,000ish mark that kit would cost?

I'd have a full exhaust as well as that kit and probably run boost at around the 6-7lb mark. Guessing that would be good for somewhere around 200-215hp.

Or just SR20DET it... which would probably work out cheaper, and more reliable, and make more power.

Guest Andrew

Cheer's, looks pretty good, claims 192hp at 5.5lb from stock 140hp. Around $6k USD. Plus a minimum of around 16 hours labour (because something WILL go wrong) plus tuning time and dyno time.

So.. do you think I could build something equivalent for the $12,000ish mark that kit would cost?

I'd have a full exhaust as well as that kit and probably run boost at around the 6-7lb mark. Guessing that would be good for somewhere around 200-215hp.

Or just SR20DET it... which would probably work out cheaper, and more reliable, and make more power.

Well the only thing I have for comparison is that mine makes 210rwhp on 14 psi - and from what I know about it it is no where near a stock motor.

Well the only thing I have for comparison is that mine makes 210rwhp on 14 psi - and from what I know about it it is no where near a stock motor.

Most aftermarket kits run 6-8 PSI either super charged or turbo, once you go over that you need to reduce compression and be able to adjust the fuel and the ignition, this means and aftermarket computer and major dollars.

If you intend to run it at power for any lenght of time you also need to remove the heat, aftermarket radiators and interoolers and oil coolers again big bucks. The most effective (dollar wise) way to get more power is a bigger enginesay out of a wrecked car.

The new 3 litre BMW engine puts our about 195KW (250HP) and is very light Mosen spares in hamilton sold one out of a Z4 recently for $6k Ithink , plus relaibility would be awesome

cheers

Hove

Guest Andrew

Most aftermarket kits run 6-8 PSI either super charged or turbo, once you go over that you need to reduce compression and be able to adjust the fuel and the ignition, this means and aftermarket computer and major dollars.

If you intend to run it at power for any lenght of time you also need to remove the heat, aftermarket radiators and interoolers and oil coolers again big bucks. The most effective (dollar wise) way to get more power is a bigger enginesay out of a wrecked car.

The new 3 litre BMW engine puts our about 195KW (250HP) and is very light Mosen spares in hamilton sold one out of a Z4 recently for $6k Ithink , plus relaibility would be awesome

cheers

Hove

It puts out that power at the flywheel - nothing close to that to the wheels.

My motor has all that work done to it - i don't think it out the question we will see 270+ rwhp.

cheers

Hove

That's an M54 right? released in 2000?

170 kW or 230ish hp

And 170kg.

also, trying to fit one in the spot where an M42 used to be would probably be a bigger mission than an SR20DET swap.

and I was talking flywheel figures before, I'd be happy with 160-180hp at the wheels.

Guest Andrew

That's an M54 right? released in 2000?

170 kW or 230ish hp

And 170kg.

also, trying to fit one in the spot where an M42 used to be would probably be a bigger mission than an SR20DET swap.

and I was talking flywheel figures before, I'd be happy with 160-180hp at the wheels.

Anything is better than 85/90 odd kW from the wheels in a 318is.

It would be easier to fit the M54.

Do the S52 or S50 E36 M3 engines come up for sale very often?

I believe the motor they sold at Mosen went into an E30 M3, the beauty of buying an engine from a wreck is you get all of the bits , Computer etc as well.

As to losses, the bat RX7 (non turbo ) I ran last year had 225Hp at the engine and 189 at the wheels depending on the car I suppose you might loose 20%to 30% from engine HP

Talking to Jim Boult at Puke in the weekend running a 3 liter one series in production class he has this motor producing 195Kw on the dyno standard and reckons with higher octane fuel they run in europe they produce an 205KW it certainly was quicker than the type R integras.

anyway whatever you decide to do have fun

Cheers

Hove

I guess an E30 M3 S14 would be ideal and probably an easier fit than an S50.

There's a Vanos M50 2.5 from a 1993 on trademe at the moment.. would be a bit of an improvement but why go for something mediocre, if I was going to do an engine swap it would need to be for something with a bit more go than that.

Other thing is I don't want to go to an engine with too many K's on it as one of the things that attracted me to this car is that it's done low k's and is in great mechanical condition, just a few little chips here and there on the exterior which are being tidied up gradually.

Just putting my 2 cents worth in

You cant beat "cubic inches" for power upgrades & reliability

As alot of you know, I have put a M52 2.8 litre into a '97 E36 318 TI compact (featured in "Rides")

Took out the M44, trans and diff

The car cost me $2,500 with a stuffed trans. It had factory AC mags, body kit, half leather & sunroof

The donor car was a stolen & vandalised '97 328I Coupe done 77,000km

We swapped it all over with very little hassles, and its all been done with off the shelf BMW parts

The only thing that is not BMW is the rear muffler, strut brace & CAI

To buy the car ($4,000) + all the new parts I needed cost me $9,500 in total

Job finished in 4 days and owes me $12,000

It hauls arse and I'm realy pleased with the end product......and its reliable!!

Cheers

Glenn

Guest Andrew

Its probably "easiest" to fit an S50 rather than S14 - remember the e36 did come with an S50 - it's not like your engine bay is smaller because you have a 318.