Sign in to follow this  
lilme

TURBO E36

hey im looking seriously at turboing my E36 320i, does anyone know of any places in NZ or aussie that supply parts or make them for this?

hey im looking seriously at turboing my E36 320i, does anyone know of any places in NZ or aussie that supply parts or make them for this?

Contact Jeff at Dr Repower in Tauranga (07)5783332 he's into all that sh*t

You can get Turbo exhaust manifolds on Ebay motors [uSA]

Dont forget that the LHD vehicles have, no steering rack on the RHS. This gives the LHD vehicles an advantage of more room to build the manifold in.

Dr repower is a good start. I have had soome dealings with these guys and multiple dyno runs here. highly recommened.

Active Autowerke in the US makes good kits for the E36, RHD too. Definitely worth a look.

hey thanks for the info aye, ive allready checked out AA online and i kinda wanted to stick with something in nz if i could i will give jeff a call see what he has to say, maybe he might be able to give me some pointers on turboing bmw's, and since im in welly may know of someone a lil closer to home. if not then it looks like ill be in tauranga every now and then lol!!

THANKS HEAPS KEEP THE INFO ROLLING IN!!!!!

Guest Andrew

The general rule is - if you need to ask a basic quesiton about Turbo-ing - you need to read this book.

Maximum Boost - by Corky Bell.

A great book. Get it.

there are a few people around wellington that can make you a custom manifold. would be the best way to go i think. i need to get one made for my new motor as well so maybe we could sort out a deal with someone for two of them.

and Maximum Boost is a good read.

there are a few people around wellington that can make you a custom manifold. would be the best way to go i think. i need to get one made for my new motor as well so maybe we could sort out a deal with someone for two of them.

and Maximum Boost is a good read.

YEAH DEFINATLY id be into that once i figure out what turbo im gunna slap on it lol!! do you have any details about those ppl around welly so i can give them a call??

The general rule is - if you need to ask a basic quesiton about Turbo-ing - you need to read this book.

Maximum Boost - by Corky Bell.

A great book. Get it.

have you got any ideas where i could get my hands on a copy?

www.amazon.com and order it

why not just sell the 320 and buy a 325/328....get a lot more potential if you do decide to go ahead and turbo, along with being a better all round car

www.amazon.com and order it

why not just sell the 320 and buy a 325/328....get a lot more potential if you do decide to go ahead and turbo, along with being a better all round car

coz i picked up my 320 for such a bargin 3000!!! and its in wikid condition and why not start at the beggining and work my way up! lol! if my bf had his way wed be putting in a turbo m3 engine, but its my car not his lol!! and its also our family car so cant have something insane driving a baby round everyday!! lol!! the 320 does the job and pretty well at that!! lol!

Do the Turbo M3!!!!!! :)

nah not in the family car, a turbo 320 should be sufficiant :P lol altho its definatly something to look at maybe getting another bmw and doing it to that, who knows!! it would be wikid as!!

Edited by lilme

"Family turbo"???

Y'all prolly think a ***** like me spits sum messed up English, but there's times I don't be comprehending cracker language....

Think about it this way - for a 320i turbo to exceed its use over the M3 it'd need to gain the following at least.

Standard Pre-95 M3 - 286hp - must gain 136hp from stock M50B20 150hp engine.

Standard Post 95 E36 M3 - 321hp - must gain 171hp from stock M50B20 150hp engine.

Edited by E30stz

yer its a waste of money in my opinion.. save for an m3..

the cheapest ive seen an e36 m3 (200,000+ kms) go for is $16000 considering i bought this car for $3000 if i was to spend another $13000 on it a standard m3 wouldnt come close to the power id be making, and all for the same price.

gimmie sum credit i am a CHICK thinking of turboing my bmw!!!!!!!!!!!

it doesnt matter what engine it has in it, ITS TIME FOR A TURBO!!!!

Think about it this way - for a 320i turbo to exceed its use over the M3 it'd need to gain the following at least.

Standard Pre-95 M3 - 286hp - must gain 136hp from stock M50B20 150hp engine.

Standard Post 95 E36 M3 - 321hp - must gain 171hp from stock M50B20 150hp engine.

after seeing the hp the usa guys are getting out of their standard engine blocks it makes it seem quite acheivable to safley double the standard power figure. may not be a huge increase compared to the standard m3 figures, but its a heck of alot cheaper. and there is still room for improvement

or you could bolt a 2.8 up!

have you considered supercharging instead of turbo? would be cheaper

am still in the planning stages so a 2.8 is still on the cards.

as for supercharging i wasnt sure if it would be the right kind of power band that i was after. yes i did think about it tho.

IMgoing to be completly unhelpful and say that after driving turbos my whole life (with power from 150 - 220 kwatw)

Screw Turbos buy a V8 :P

Rolling around in the M60B40 powered 540i is just so much more fun, 500 or 5500, first or 6th gear, it pulls like school boy.

Now an M60 in a E36 shell would be a lot of fun.

Edited by Charlie Fox

Hell yea. Go the v8 lol. It probably easier aswell. And more reliable. But hay, That just my thoughts. At the end of the day its your car, so do whatever you want to do.

hey guys on the v8 note, that has been considered aswell and is still a very real posibility, i saw on a website somewhere that my little 2L uses 9.2L / 100km and the 530 uses 10.5L / 100kms i couldnt beleive the difference in gas compared to the power. when i heard that i thaugh hell, why not go bigger!! so then we thaught about how difficult it may be to get the v12 from the 750 into it but that may be getting a lil carried away... who knows, i cant imagine that tho a 5L v12 in a 3 series shell!!!!!!!

"Family turbo"???

Y'all prolly think a ***** like me spits sum messed up English, but there's times I don't be comprehending cracker language....

Quoted fo backup.

What a stupid idea. Seriously. Imagine the money spent to turbo it. Bolt a 2.5/2.8 in. Heaps cheaper, probably the same power. Then if you really want to, turbo that instead.

Just outta interest grant, how much has yours cost to build?

so then we thaught about how difficult it may be to get the v12 from the 750 into it but that may be getting a lil carried away... who knows, i cant imagine that tho a 5L v12 in a 3 series shell!!!!!!!

That has also been done, but only into E30's that i am aware of.

Seriously wouldn't bother with a 2.0 turbo, i'm sure it would be so much cheaper/more effective to go a N/A 2.8, which would also allow for brake and suspension upgrades... If you got such a good deal, sell the 320 for more than you paid for it and buy something with a decent engine to begin with?? Failing that, buy a wrecked 2.5/2.8 and then you can use all the brakes etc off that. Just my 2c. If you want turbo, DO IT.

Quoted fo backup.

What a stupid idea. Seriously. Imagine the money spent to turbo it. Bolt a 2.5/2.8 in. Heaps cheaper, probably the same power. Then if you really want to, turbo that instead.

He put a price list up somewhere, i think about 12 k or something....

Are you sure?

I looked over the net to find engine power figures for the m50 and m52 series engines and each

site showed an average of 43bhp difference between the m50b20 and m52b28 engines.

A turbo will give me much more power than that.

Here are two of the sites I searched on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW

http://www.bmwworld.com/engines/m52.htm

According to other peoples experiences turboing m50 engines on other sites it seems it would be

very possible to triple the standard engine power figure safely with the addition of a .140" head gasket.

And it wont be any cheaper for me to buy a 2.8 because it means I have to buy another engine.

Plus if I blow it up, m50b20s are cheaper than m52b28s.

Hate me if you must but Im gonna have a turbo something in my E36 and I will do a full write up on my progress

Any info on the subject is appreciated.

hey hows it going, good links for the turboi conversion, i have beenn wanting to power up my 320i as well and seriously considering turbo ing becasue engine conversions as a first thought are going to be to expensive,

just a few questions which i cant find the answer to

do you know how much boost std internals would be able to handle?

what gearbox would you run?? can the auto's handle a decent power up or will they just blow?

what computer where you thinking of running??

have you found any other sites of people who have done this??

i have about 6 grand to improve the performance of my 320i and i belive bang for your buck a turbo is the most effiecnt way to get a decent power up