Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

RX E30

Found this on Rotahavik and seen it at the Summer Drags.Probably not anyone on heres cup of tea but I like it lol.

13BT,To4 Turbo,Link computer.Runs 12-13 at Meremere.

Posted Image

What do you guys reckon?

I like them. too bad they never came out of the factory like that

They did, Mazda called it the "RX3"

Certainly NOT my cup of tea, as predicted - but the power boost would be pretty cool.

I used to have an RX3 Coupe - great in a straight line, but don't even think about cornering them at speed.Plonking one in a car which knows how to take corners is a good marriage for a fun car like that.

Edited by Jazzbass

There's one on TM with a series 4 turbo in it. They want $7500. Needs acert and no idea of how well it's put together, but worth a look if you want to do this and save yourself some work.

I considered looking at it but decided I wouldn't know what to do with it if I bought it so left it.

Another 13B bridgy sold on Havik for 5500.It was mint Wof/Reg, just needed cert for adjustables.Yeh I dont think I'd spend money on it...I'd buy one with one in though.Or just get a S1 7 lol

That would have be a pretty good alround performing car.

Are rotor's crap on the gas though?

soon you will ROT8M3 a black E36 M-tech coupe, lowered on 19" stilletos, it looks pretty mean, not sure what type of rotary engine is in it never really asked

That would have be a pretty good alround performing car.

Are rotor's crap on the gas though?

Rota's use alot of gas because every cycle has a power 'stroke'. not 1 out of every 4.

Same reason as some racing trucks are 2 strokes. They are able to create more power over a shorter amount of time.

Rota's use alot of gas because every cycle has a power 'stroke'. not 1 out of every 4.

Same reason as some racing trucks are 2 strokes. They are able to create more power over a shorter amount of time.

Depends on what has been done to the motors ie, ported and running an IDA or turbo.

Standard 12A Pro7 spec engine only used 90ltrs of 91 octane while doing the 4 hour at Manfield. We detuned it slightly (took out some ignition advance and slightly richer jets) to make sure it stayed safe and reliable and we only dropped half a second a lap with full tank of gas (normally run half tank)

All in all they are pretty much the same as their equal power rated piston motor. The harder the right foot is pressed the faster the gas neddle runs away.

I was under the impression that mtbboy's comments were based on engine cc size comparisons not power.

a 13b rota vs 1300cc piston.

The one thing i would stop talking about is gas usage, if owned a rotary.

blasphemy in my opinion

want a rota,buy a mazdza,keep it in a mazda.

Drove a series 5? rx7 once very very nice,too nice, mint paint,no lining in "boot" and some overspray evident.

Never ever been a fan of the age old BMW-Rota conversion.

Then again I'm not a fan of any non-pure transplants. BMW Nazi hahaha!

I don't have a problem with it. I'm happy to see any conversion that's not Rangi.

I'd love to see someone slip a Ferrari V12 into an E30!

I don't have a problem with it. I'm happy to see any conversion that's not Rangi.

I'd love to see someone slip a Ferrari V12 into an E30!

Or an S14 into an Enzo? <_<

Not exactly. Rotary's are still 4 stroke engines. Each of the 3 faces of the rotor do perform a power stroke on each rotation (similar to a 2 stroke) but there are still 4 distinct parts to each "cycle" during each rotation. The rotors are then geared internally 1:2. So a twin rotor engine effectively has 6 cylinders and produces the same number of power pulses per rotation as a 6 cylinder 4 stroke piston engine. ie 3.

Rotarys are slighty more efficent than regular piston engines and thus will usually use less fuel for the same power output as a piston engine.

If you think of a 13b as a 1300cc engine based on the name, then the fuel consumption seems shocking but if you look at it as if it's a 3.9 litre 6 cylinder (which effectively it is) it's fuel consumption doesn't seen so bad anymore.

Its cool in a way, cant really see the point myself though. Not like E30s are the lightest and best handling car for cheapish. Im sure you could make a "better" car with the same budget out of a small jap coupe or hatch.

I seriously think the main motive is still that "its a bmw", depending what you're building it for though, if its for looks and that show car scene then sweet as then.