Sign in to follow this  
B*Emz

Arrrr help!

Ever since I bought my car there has been a small problem- in neutral the car idles perfectly, but when it is either stationary or at very low revs in drive or reverse, the idle surges and causes intermittent shuddering. My car is a 316i E36, M40 engine. Obviously Auto. Does anyone has any suggestions as to cause and/or solution?

Oh yes~ and where is the transmission oil filler?? Been wondering on this one for a while..

Cheers guys!

Ever since I bought my car there has been a small problem- in neutral the car idles perfectly, but when it is either stationary or at very low revs in drive or reverse, the idle surges and causes intermittent shuddering. My car is a 316i E36, M40 engine. Obviously Auto. Does anyone has any suggestions as to cause and/or solution?

Oh yes~ and where is the transmission oil filler?? Been wondering on this one for a while..

Cheers guys!

Can't comment on the idling problem, the trans filter on most slushboxes is a screen filter inside the oilpan [some autos dont have a drainplug, so the mechanic has to change the filter while changing the fluid ] chuck a manual innit!

Filler, not filter kerry.

You pour it down the dipstick tube. The ATF fluid bottle has a pourer built in to make it easy.

Not sure about the other prob though.

You pour it down the dipstick tube. The ATF fluid bottle has a pourer built in to make it easy.

Not sure about the other prob though.

Thanks, been wondering where the heck it was supposed to go ! Just need to sort out this idle thing now!

S**t looks like I should've stayed at Skool & learned howt' read proper

Does this idle surge happen when under slight acceleration aswel?

Is your e36 an early japanese import?

My mums M40 powered E30 auto has the same problem. Its been to the mechcanic's to be looked at but nothing came up. All checks have been carried out but found nothing. The car runs prefect 99.99% of the time but sometimes this little gremlin pops its head out for a few minutes before it goes away again. Strange, yes. I think this problem is in the DME programming.

bumpstop325 Posted Today, 11:03 AM

Does this idle surge happen when under slight acceleration aswel?

Is your e36 an early japanese import?

My mums M40 powered E30 auto has the same problem. Its been to the mechcanic's to be looked at but nothing came up. All checks have been carried out but found nothing. The car runs prefect 99.99% of the time but sometimes this little gremlin pops its head out for a few minutes before it goes away again. Strange, yes. I think this problem is in the DME programming.

Idle does surge under slight acceleration, anything under about 1800 revs or so? Not a jap import so that cant be the common denominator? I'll have a chat to bmw about the DME programming thisafternoon and see what anyone comes up with.

Cheers, good to know it myt not be quite as serious as i keep thinking it is!

Car had oil change and engine flush yesterday, thanks to Nathan's skills. I would like to say i helped but I pretty much just ran up and down teh stairs geting refreshments! Also has new filters left right and center so I was hoping it might have gone away. But no!

bimbam Posted Today, 11:22 AM

Mine also does the exact same thing!

Sounds like a slightly common prob yea?