Sign in to follow this  
aenima

e36 boot rattle problem!!

Hey guys,

I've just installed a new sound system and I've discovered this nasty annoying boot rattle. I fixed the numberplate rattle easy but I can't fix the rattle coming from the barel of the boot lock - the button you push to open the boot.

I tried pulling off the outside trim that surrounds it and shoved deadening material around it to hold it in place, but then when you push the boot in to open it it won't pop back out <_<

Anyone else had this dilemna in their e36 and know a way of elimnating it?

Cheers

Yep i know exactly what you mean. I have exactly the same problem. I tryed rapping electrical tape around it to stop it rattling but then as you said, it doesnt pop back out. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks

yeah, this is pretty common, but afriad i have never heard of a common fix, best thing i can suggest and what i did was to face the subs toward the driver, well in a ported setup this works anyway, so theres not as much rattle in the boot but rather its deirected foward when the seats are dropped down, boot wasnt realy designed to have a big doof doof sub in it to my disgust.

Dynamat would help decrease the rattle, and also the sound.

Depends what you want, do you want everyone else around you to hear that you have a sub, or only those people inside the car?

Haha. Great minds think a like. This is excatly what i have done. Stops almost all of the rattle. My seats dont fold down tho. but i do have a ski hole.

My comment was directed at what MADBMA said. lol. Was a bit slow to respond.

if its only the lock rattling remove it and get a remote boot popper :D

Yeah that ratles anoying...

I took my lock apart from inside and put sum really sticky tuck wheel bearing grease on all joints.. almost fully got rid of the problem.

At first i just stufed the fluffy sound deadnin in aswell but it didnt do anything other than jamb the dam thing.

Yeah that ratles anoying...

I took my lock apart from inside and put sum really sticky tuck wheel bearing grease on all joints.. almost fully got rid of the problem.

At first i just stufed the fluffy sound deadnin in aswell but it didnt do anything other than jamb the dam thing.

yeah I have just done a new boot build on my e36 and had the same prob its f#**in annoyin so i just stuffed it full of the dynamat on the inside and the outside panels of the boot (meaning behind the tool kit) and faced my sub towards the driver but luckily enough i have a uk import and the rear seat has an arm rest sounds mint now!

hey,

Facing the subs towards the driver will take away the rattle, but you'll probably find that your subs won't sound as good.. You really want to have them as close to the back of your car as possible, facing the boot. The sounds waves rebound off the boot & amplify towards the front, increasing the sound. Facing towards the front they are more likely to cancel eachother out & you will have 'quiet spots' in your car.

I had the same problem in my e30 with the boot.. I just used sum insulation tape & sound matting.. Guess you could alswys shave the lock, lol.

Laurence.