Sign in to follow this  
Trivium

Running Costs...

Hey all, I'm looking at buying myself a BMW in the next few weeks

The only thing thats holding me back is the supposible high runnings costs of them... :(

The car im after is either a 318 or 320, both are 1999 and im still deciding which one to buy

Petrol wise im not too worried about, but im more intrested in the servicing costs....what would you pay for a every 6th month service by a garage? ballpark figure....

Any info would be much appreciated :)

Mate depending where you are Gus or myself or anybody else on here could service it for you.

Or buy some tools and a jack and stands and do it yourself. Cause if you gonna pay a garage to do services and repairs it's gonna cost you heaps. The only thing you should need to take it into bmw for is to reset the service lights but then I see they are selling the service light tool on trademe...... must get myself one of thoughs.

Bottom line .... parts are cheap and plentyful from the right person

Bmw Garage or most garage's are expensive $40 - $95 an hour and that's just labour

my .02c

Yeah, DIY it great on Bimmers.

Are you from recoil by any chance?

well yeh,, DIY is the cheapest way to service any car. and in gives you enough experience and skills that you cant get from sending your car into a garage.

there are plenty of BMW manuals online and or buy it if you want that gives you step by step on how to service certain parts. I.e. chaing on brake pads (which is a piece of cake just follow the instructions)

and for the service light, ( its the annoying light in your dash board intrstrument that tells ya that an inspection, oil change etc is due and will pop up and sometimes stay on while you drive) it does nothing else but its annoying as hell. you can buy a reset tool from trademe or ebay running from 50 bucks - 400 bucks for one that does everything. DONT BUY THE INSTRUCTION ONLY THAT SHORTS OUT THE CURCUITS AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

as a bmw owner (changed from honda 6 months ago), yes its a bit hefty on the wallet in the likes of parts and service fees but is managable if you can do some of the stuff yourself and know where to get the parts from. (never ever go into a garage for little things to be replaced unless your rich enough i.e. brake pad replacement or engine oil unless you dont know if it has syntethic or mineral oil)

you can always come back here for some BMW nerds advice LOL

Edited by Docile

bought mine 9 monts ago and has cost me just under 500 including a dealer service, alignment/balancing blah blah..

get one with a service history.

Nothing wrong with an e46 320 or 318i if its going to be spending all its time in Auckland city. bottom end is good, top end sucks..

IMO, buy a car that will suit your lifestyle. if ur just gonna travel within suburbs/city most of the time.. no reason to buy a more powerful car than a 2 litre.

but if ur on the open road/ or like most people here (speed demons) then a 320i wont be enough.. atleast a 325i - m3:D or better yet m5 :)

or you could always smack in a turbo charger in a 318 lol

I'm really just looking for something to get arround town in, maybe the odd road trip.....

I've owned a WRX, a GTB waggon, a GTX Familia and drive a heavily modded Civic now....now wanting to get out of spending alot of money modding cars and get something a bit more subtle and classy B)

Andrew - why not buy a 318 or 320? Is there some hidden faults I dont know about? :(

Ps....sorry for the noob questions but I dont know a heck of alot about BMW's :blush:

nothing wrong with them its just a lower power - weight ratio than other models..

with all that extra luxury comes extra weight:D

well if you want a higher powered car as you seem to be into ( past cars), go for atleast a e46 325i, want more torque 328i..

Edited by Docile

Power wise isnt really a biggy, I'll just be using it as a cruiser....the plan is to wait til I can reg an r32GTR as a classic then i'll be getting my power fix in a few years :P

I've driven 3 x 320's, all auto, but they dont seem to be too gutless having the twin cam sport mode...

try to get a 325i ... but if you cant a 320i should satisfy you then :)

Sweet as, thanks for the advice.... I've already got a Remus exhaust and some black/steel lipped 19's that will fit a BMW so I'll get some pics up when i make my decision:)