Sign in to follow this  
bravo

POrtable mp3 player advice wanted

I want to buy a 1GB mp3 player as a xmas present. It has to be basic and tuff as the recipient will want to take it running, cycling, to work, whatever and so must be strong/rugged design, and small/lightweight.

Only needs a monochrome screen to display track/artist whatever - no large colour screens as it will only get broken eventually.

Battery life, ease of use, size and ruggedness important factors

Features, styling, memory space over 1GB, etc NOT factors

What are my options?

I don't want to spend alot of money. If I can't get something decent for less then $100 I'll get something else. I know this limits me to something from the Trademe bin, but hoping someone here has one that they can vouch for.

Cheers

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

$250 for 2GB plus need to spend another $50 to buy a decent case so it can withstand knocks. As much as it would be the ideal, it is too expensive.

I would normally only be spending about $50 on this person, so I'm stretching as it is.

$250 for 2GB plus need to spend another $50 to buy a decent case so it can withstand knocks. As much as it would be the ideal, it is too expensive.

I would normally only be spending about $50 on this person, so I'm stretching as it is.

Ipod shuffle?

Guest Ken

Have a look using the search facility on Pricespy, it usually works quite well for this type of thing.

I've been doing a lot of reasearch on portable mp3 players of late and one thing sticks out - the iPod family is by far the most reliable. Main criticism seems to be lack of built-in FM radio!

So as an analogy, iPod = BMW, the rest = anything from Skoda to Toyota. :lol:

Ipods are always mint but CAN NOT stand a knocking,I had mine in my mums car using an I-Trip and just from the shock of it sitting in the coin slot thing it crapped out and now the screen doesnt work.My fault I know but there.

Try searching the I-River site,they have mean mp3 players and are generally cheaper than Ipods and have much better customer service etc.

If you care bout the person you're buying for,dont buy anything from Trademe...brothers " Ipod lookalike 30gb video bla bla" crapped out in about 4 months and couldnt chase the guy up about a warranty...super tacky.

Have been using Creative's players for about 3 or 4 yrs now, all good. Hear I-river's OK as well. IMO Ipod's are overpriced for what they are.

Ipod's are overpriced for what they are.

Word.

I've got a 512 megabyte something sitting in its packaging at home - won it as a prize, but never use it. If it is of interest I can get more details. Has built in FM radio.

I sell most of the big brand mp3 players,

samsung

creative

iriver etc

ipod

Ive been very happy with these brands but not the ipods, they just cant handle the knocks like the rest

If anyone is after one from these brands i can look after you with the price. (btw i wont get in to sh@t with the boss (i am the boss) like someone did on here lol)

Word.

Maybe Nano's, but only the small ones. Ipods are cheaper than Zune, Gigabeat S, Creative Zen Vision....

I had a Creative MuVo. They are pretty good for what you are looking for. Biggest plus, they have a radio.

A new shuffle would be cool. No screen FTL.

I've got a 512 megabyte something sitting in its packaging at home - won it as a prize, but never use it. If it is of interest I can get more details. Has built in FM radio.

Pic/specs/price?

I sell most of the big brand mp3 players,

samsung

creative

iriver etc

ipod

Ive been very happy with these brands but not the ipods, they just cant handle the knocks like the rest

If anyone is after one from these brands i can look after you with the price. (btw i wont get in to sh@t with the boss (i am the boss) like someone did on here lol)

Anything in my price range (sub $100)?

Pic/specs/price?

Anything in my price range (sub $100)?

Sorry mate dont really have anything good tbo, in the sub $100 range

G,

www.goldenleaf.net

Its ALILUYA from here, chuck him an email and say its Graeme aka Bravomikewhiskey from Bimmersport. I've got one of his MP3 players ($79 or so)

Had it for a year and goes mint. As you know i'm a mountain biker, a runner and use it to play the drums with and walk to school with so its had a teenage girl bashing.

its had a teenage girl bashing.

Can I get me one of those? Jks.

Thanks will have a look.

Haha What are you buying me for xmas Graham..... Maybe a carbon fibre bonnet for the dirty aye cuzz hahaha

Guest Ken

Haha What are you buying me for xmas Graham..... Maybe a carbon fibre bonnet for the dirty aye cuzz hahaha

Can I have one too??? :P

That's an idea. I was just gonna write "Merry Xmas" in rubber in front of your house.

Guest Ken

That's an idea. I was just gonna write "Merry Xmas" in rubber in front of your house.

That would be tame thing to do in Hika!!! :lol:

Can I get me one of those? Jks.

Thanks will have a look.

Haha

Well if you r coming to Chch 4 the secondary girls cricket nats im sure we could arrange something

jks.

Haha

Well if you r coming to Chch 4 the secondary girls cricket nats im sure we could arrange something

jks.

Awesome

honestly its not so bad not seing the names of your music, as with a 1G player youl be replacing the music often enough to know whats on there just about, i say go the ipod shuffle, cheap and pretty durable, ive taken mine mountain biking, and use it daily in the bimmer, had it for way over a year now, good value for $$.

Guest Andrew

Haha

jks.

:o