Sign in to follow this  
joshnz

new 18x8 rims and they're rubbing :(

When the cars jacked up, grab the spring and give it a good shake.It shouldnt move in its mounts AT ALL.

Jacked it up, springs are tight as a nuns .... they don't move at all, I think its just all in my head :wacko:

Only guard rub I've had yet was in the back with a full car and boot at the bottom of a steep hill at 1xxkph

Wasn't bad either, no tyre wear.. think it was only the tyres brushing the plastic guard liners.

Only guard rub I've had yet was in the back with a full car and boot at the bottom of a steep hill at 1xxkph

Wasn't bad either, no tyre wear.. think it was only the tyres brushing the plastic guard liners.

Yeah, I get that in the back .. with just one rear passenger, gets pretty annoying hearing it rub over every little bump. maybe I need to ditch these shitty saggy Jamex springs and get some Kings ...

Hey Josh,

I've just jumped on this thread [Now I'll try and give you some "sound" advice]

Your car is probably TOO low, when you go up onto 18's they fill the guards better. Also 18's will clear they struts better, because the struts lean inward's (kingpin-inclination) so you can use more positive offset (back-spacing)with 18's.

As a last ditch remedy, the Wheels can have the centers machined (up to 12mm max) for more offset (I've done this successfully before)

From what I've read here;Throw out those aftermarket springs.

Re-install the stock springs then measure the corner heights with the 18's. Then get the stock springs re-set to your desired height [sell the aftermarket junk]This will also fix the lean to the left

Try and keep the wheel allignment to stock BMW specs[with the exception of an extra 1/2 degree negative camber]. Once this is sorted [Then replace your tyres,not before]

Incidentally my E36 runs 17x8's (BBS's) with M spec suspension,

Again don't go too low [these things handle pretty good as they are]

If you need to talk to me direct , pm me and I'll give you my phone number

Cheers Kerry

Hi Kerry, when I had the wheels put on I had the new springs which are Jamex LOW put it in, and brand new KYB shocks all round, the standard shocks were pretty damn hammered after 70,000k of abuse. Do you think If I get better tyres (such as 30s or 35s which will be thinner to the current ones that will get rid of the rubbing to some extent?

Going for a trip up to Mokai Gravity Canyon near Taihape with the mrs today so it'll be a good test on the open road with the new susp etc, I'll post back later.

Firstly, you need to get rid of all the rubbing [not some of it]

Nothing wrong with your choice in shocks [shocks don't support the car, the springs do]

Go to 225/35 tyre, being slightly narrower [10mm at the sidewall] and 5% lower profile will increase roadholding [plus they look better,which is a motive in itself] it should help with clearances.

Get a friendly tyre shop to fit some tyres from their rubbish pile out the back [just to check clearances]Paying them for fitting is cheaper than buying tyres that are no-good

As the car gets lower,the springs need to be stiffer to prevent bottoming out. you can also buy plastic spring spacers to adjust ride height if you need to.

Personally [from experience] if the car is raised [from super low]by up to 20mm, nobody can tell the difference [except with a tape measure]

Right, after todays ride I reckon I need to get new springs, at times the ride was all over the place, I want it stiffer, twas quite bouncy ... no wheel rubbing except when cornering tight and fast ... if I got some decent quality H&R springs would it stiffen it up a little bit? These Jamex seem saggy as sh*t.

get some decent shocks should be your next big buy. Your've already bought lowering springs, should try get it right hte first time instead of trial and error which doesnt seem to have worked so far, tis an expensive process.

Edited by E30stz

get some decent shocks should be your next big buy. Your've already bought lowering springs, should try get it right hte first time instead of trial and error which doesnt seem to have worked so far, tis an expensive process.

Brand new KYB shocks aren't decent? ... not what I have read/heard and been told!

Right, after todays ride I reckon I need to get new springs, at times the ride was all over the place, I want it stiffer, twas quite bouncy ... no wheel rubbing except when cornering tight and fast ... if I got some decent quality H&R springs would it stiffen it up a little bit? These Jamex seem saggy as sh*t.

Hey Josh! nothing wrong with KYB's [yours are new] If your car is floaty like a boat then the shocks are history. But if it's bouncy [hard] I suspect your car is bottoming out on the rubbers. chuck out those springs, & lift it 25mm while you are at it and all the problems will disappear.

Springs support the car, shocks only dampen oscillations [hard shocks & soft springs cause the wheels to skip over bumps similar to a motocross bike]

the spring stiffness should be calculated for the speed of the vehicle [except for the risk of bottoming out or loads carried] Shocks should be valved to the springs [to dampen oscillations]

The faster you go the stiffer the springs [drive over a speed hump at +100kph & you'll understand this]

Try to get some 'M' spec springs,and reset them to a decent ride height [not too low]

Springs have the same rating their whole life [after 1000's of cycles the slowly settle to a new height] resetting them restores them to the height you need [don't be scared of second hand springs]

Years ago, I tested several brands of shocks on a shock dyno. most performed close to each other. after extensive use the cheaper brands started to loose performance [because heat build-up caused leakage past the pistons,due to expansion] In other words "don't use Gabriels in a Rally-Car"

If you are going to constantly drive way above our legal limits,you'll need stiffer springs [& a lawyer]