Sign in to follow this  
joshnz

new 18x8 rims and they're rubbing :(

Howdy

Right i got some nice new wheels/tyres fitted last week, they are 18x8 and the tyres are nankang "235/40R18", I have just the last couple of days heard some noises when cornering the rears appear to be rubbing and the fronts are also rubbing so much that the tyre on one side at le' front has already had some godforsaken tread chomped off, now I didn't know this would happen - im a bit of a n00b so im not sure what to do now, ive heard of things like camber kits, what do these do? the car is on low jamex springs which are new - and brand spanking KYB shocks all round, I have a warrant in 3 months and it needs to be sorted by then, can you guys offer me advice on what to do?

Thanks heaps

Josh

Roll the Gaurds. You will know what I mean when you look at the inside of them, they stick down and have a shard edge, rolling will make them smooth and hopefully clear enough room for tryes/wheels..

Also note gaurd rollers MIGHT make your paint chip.. they may not but know this before hand, and person who rolls the gaurds wont pay for this to be fixed!!! But ask them about it etc.

Then see how it goes it should fix it, what happens is when the car is low and corners, the tyre rubs when it is turned and the edge of the gaurd sticks down and is sharp hence some tread being left behind, or the car rolls too much when you corner, but spring shock combo should be ok.

Get them rolled just ring up panel beaters or tyre shops and see who does it, and you should be ok,

doubt a WOF would fail unless its under 100mm or they are very anal and want the wheels certed, or they take it for a test drive.

Cheers hope you can understand !

Dont think you need camber kit, and maybe e36 already have adjustable camber?? im into e30s so dont know sorry..

Edited by nz320i

Thanks for the advice dude, I just spotted some chunks of rubber missing and started stresssing, ill hit up some panel beaters tomorrow, will post again, cheers!

Car is booked in at the panel beaters tomorrow, they're not going to use a roller though, just tap them back and sh*t ... the dude said it probably wont make much difference, so if it doesnt looks like im going back to standard springs for a bit more height.

This really pisses me off, I didn;t think jamex LOWs would be that low with 18s :(

Howdy

Right i got some nice new wheels/tyres fitted last week, they are 18x8 and the tyres are nankang "235/40R18", I have just the last couple of days heard some noises when cornering the rears appear to be rubbing and the fronts are also rubbing so much that the tyre on one side at le' front has already had some godforsaken tread chomped off, now I didn't know this would happen - im a bit of a n00b so im not sure what to do now, ive heard of things like camber kits, what do these do? the car is on low jamex springs which are new - and brand spanking KYB shocks all round, I have a warrant in 3 months and it needs to be sorted by then, can you guys offer me advice on what to do?

Thanks heaps

Josh

235/40 R18 is quite a tall tyre for the E36.

M3's had 235/40 &/or 245/40 R17's on the rear 225/45 &/or 235/40's up front depending on wheels & what year etc...

So you're running a tyre that is ~1" or 25mm taller than what you should have (621mm Vs 645mm).

Something like a 225/35 is a closer fit at 615mm or 629mm for a 245/35.

What is the wheel offset also??

Word. Same Sh** happens with my tyres.

Roll the Guards. E36 has an adjustable camber so you can angle the wheels in at the rear, a wheel aligner can do that.

I put Bilsteins in, which helps a lot... still have to take it easy around hilly corners, and NO FAT CHICKS ALLOWED in the car.

No giant booties no more for this *****, well not in the car anyways...

Otherwise buy new tyres, but you'r ride won't look as Pimp.

Wouldn't have a clue what the offset is, like I said I'm a bit of a n00b and didnt ask alot of questions .. I'll see how it pans out tomorrow, if it doesnt work well with the guards getting rolled at the front ill put the standard front springs back in.

Jammaster, so if I get the wheels aligned (which is already on the cards - was told to after new rims were put on) will the rears angle in anyway? Or can I ask them to be angled in? Or do I need a camber kit to do that? Cheers!

235/40 R18 is quite a tall tyre for the E36.

M3's had 235/40 &/or 245/40 R17's on the rear 225/45 &/or 235/40's up front depending on wheels & what year etc...

So you're running a tyre that is ~1" or 25mm taller than what you should have (621mm Vs 645mm).

Something like a 225/35 is a closer fit at 615mm or 629mm for a 245/35.

What is the wheel offset also??

Yeah not too happy about that, I thought most places who deal with wheels etc should know what is best for which car, that f**ks me off.

Dude at the panel beaters reckons I wont get a warrant the way they are now :(

I have just also noticed, the front left side seems to be a bit higher than the right - the wheel on that side hasnt been rubbing, as there are no marks to indicate this on the tyre (like on the right which has bits chomped off) is it normal for sh*t to be like this? Wonder if I should go back to the place, tell them all these issues and tell them to fix it. nicely? I dunno.

Wouldn't have a clue what the offset is, like I said I'm a bit of a n00b and didnt ask alot of questions .. I'll see how it pans out tomorrow, if it doesnt work well with the guards getting rolled at the front ill put the standard front springs back in.

Jammaster, so if I get the wheels aligned (which is already on the cards - was told to after new rims were put on) will the rears angle in anyway? Or can I ask them to be angled in? Or do I need a camber kit to do that? Cheers!

Nah homie, don't need a camber kit... tell the wheel aligner your problem, and ask them to do it, otherwise they won't know you want it done.

I have just also noticed, the front left side seems to be a bit higher than the right - the wheel on that side hasnt been rubbing, as there are no marks to indicate this on the tyre (like on the right which has bits chomped off) is it normal for sh*t to be like this? Wonder if I should go back to the place, tell them all these issues and tell them to fix it. nicely? I dunno.

It's not their bad if you've selected the wrong tyre size, inside the door is a chart which tells you the acceptable tyre sizes.

Maybe your car has a gangsta lean..... respect.

There's gonna be a bit more weight on the right hand side? Being the drivers side and all.. plus the engine leans that way.

Gotta love how flat the iS Coupe sits through the corners :)

Had the guards done today, rear is all sweet now, alot more room I think, fronts are still borderline, I think I'll just get the standard springs put back in because its too low with the big wheels and still rubs when I corner, thanks for the adivce guys.

Hi there Take the car into Brian Bates he took the camper off mine after it was lowered and the car was no where near as twitchy as before and handles really well.

If you find a nit picker for your warrant watch out as you are legally only supposed to go up 2 sizes in wheel size from standard.Good luck.

If standard wheel size is able to be 16" he'll be sweet right?

Any place that does wheel alignment should be able to change your camber.

I'll let you know if I have any rubbing at all.

you are legally only supposed to go up 2 sizes in wheel size from standard.

Does that mean all e36 can use 19" legally because M3 comes with 17" from factory?

(even when 316/318 only has 14" or 15" to start with)

Another case of no home work and a crap result.

Rolling the guards might solve the rubbing, but the tyres ane wheels are too biog for the car . Get the right ones and solve the RIGHT problem.

An M3 has big arse wheels because it has a big arse engine, and the whole car was designed for them, it has completely different geometry which you can NOT get with wheel alignment.

Alright then, how should He fix it if He wants to keep those wheels and tyres? And still have the car reasonably low for the look He wants?

Thanks for the helpful advice guys, please don't turn this into a flame the newbie f**king idiot, leep things ON TOPIC FFS.

Anyway - yeah quite a few people ive been tlaking to have said go to John Bates, which is what im going to do after xmas, can't afford sh*t all right now, f**king christmas presents and all that stuff.

3pedals - want to follow up to 318isCoupe's message? thanks.

Heres a couple of things that MAY help.

Get yourself some offset poly bushes for the rear of the front control arms.This will give you a little more caster to help with the big wheels.

Next youre gunna want some camber to pull the top of the wheel under the guard.There are two ways you can do this reasonably easily.

1,M3 evo top strut mounts swapped side to side,up to 3 degrees camber and with the offset bushes around 7 degrees caster(same as M3 evo).

2,A bushing kit from Turner motorsport in the states(spaces the lower strut to hub mount bolts).

The front of a E36 is not ajustable for anything but toe in.You want this set to almost zero or youl have evil tyre wear,only do this with increased camber.

If you use the offset bushes,M3 evo top mounts you will have almost M3evo geometry at the front so it may not understeer like a rideon mower.

just to add i really dont like mag and turbo, after i heard the comment on tyres sales guys, lol, guys at mag and turb in chch are so useless its not funny

Edited by nz320i

i have 18x8's with 225/35 on my car and they are fine they very rarely rub only time would be sometimes

going into driveways while turning it'll rub slightly but never seems to rub while driving havn't got the guards rolled or anything...

im not sure what offset they are. but im running nangkang 225/35/8 on 18x8 rims front and rear.. if u can find the post of my car u'll see that the front is pretty low... and i havn't adjusted the caster or anything

On the subject of my car leaning to one side .. i just had a quick measure (from guard to bottom of tyre) .. the right front seemed to be about 1.5-2inches lower than the opposite side, I jacked the car up to have a look around and it looks all sweet .. when I put it back down off the jack and measured the other side it was the same height/lowness on the other side, so its wierd .. its like it settles down on one side or some bullshit - but then it only rubs on the right so f knows. The rears of both equal heights. I dont know what the f**k is going on.

Edited by joshnz

I wonder weather your springs are seating properly,they may not be captive enough.Are the rubber isolaters(pads) still there between the springs and the mounts?Who installed them?

BTW I run 2.5 negative camber ,4 degrees caster at the front(all the offset bushes allow for),.6mm toe in,17x8 et35(offset)& 235/40/17 tyres and have no rubbing issues.Car tracks straight with less (no) tramlining and no wander under brakes and understeers a hell of a lot less than it use to.

Its not exactly what you guys would call low tho;p

I wonder weather your springs are seating properly,they may not be captive enough.Are the rubber isolaters(pads) still there between the springs and the mounts?Who installed them?

BTW I run 2.5 negative camber ,4 degrees caster at the front(all the offset bushes allow for),.6mm toe in,17x8 et35(offset)& 235/40/17 tyres and have no rubbing issues.Car tracks straight with less (no) tramlining and no wander under brakes and understeers a hell of a lot less than it use to.

Its not exactly what you guys would call low tho;p

Yea not sure, when I jacked the car up the springs appeared to be sitting in/on/set in some kind of low rim shaped bowl or something (cant figure out how else to explain it??)

The place that did the wheels was Mayhem Performance, but the fella that owns it gets his workers/mechs to drive the cars up to his old mans work which has been in business god know how long in town .. its called Levett & Mooney IIRC.

Would I be able to tell whether the springs are seated properly/captive just by having a look around?