Sign in to follow this  
Katalyst

e30 320 help!!

Hi all, new 2 bimmersport but have ben listenin in for awhile now, great site and has be very helpful and informative!!

now for my problem, my girlfriends 320 is an auto, and im trying to waken it up abit, looking at either changing the diff to either a 3.9 or 4.1, and was wondering if u could change to the 5 speed auto box??

have put in a new exhaust and in the process of making a new cold air box, has helped abit but wana help it some more!!

any help would be much appreciated

cheers

I'm guessing it is an e36? Why not try a manual conversion? That should liven things up a little. If its an e30, then it'll be even cheaper than for e36.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

^^ its an E30, as it says in the thread title. Ive also got a 320i, in my experience with it, no matter how much $$ you throw at these motors they never seem to satisfy. Ive done all the mods you speak of and am still wanting more. Do a 2.5 manual conversion then you might be happy :D

There is a few things you can do:

Go chuck some 98 in it - get a timing light and advance the timing on the dizzy untill it doesn't quite knock under full load. That's good for a bit of horsepower.

Put a 4.1:1 diff in it.

Manual it.

Don't bother with cold air box - just use a K&N flat panel filter in the stock filter housing.

Welcome to the site.

how much will the 4.1 effect top end?? will it sit nice at say 120 or would it be screamin its tits off?!

manual would be the easiest solution, but she dosnt wana cos she sits in traffic mornin and night, but if i just do she aint got much choice, and then im sure it will be abit more fun!

wot sorta price for a manual conversion??

thanks for the help

why not just buy yourself a 325 5spd? much better option than wasting $$ on a 320

no but they have slow engines which are hard to get power out of without spending piles of money, sure they go ok, but for decent power a 325, 2.5 motor will be a lot better.

318s are just as heavy so arent much better or worse???!

main problem with 320s is that 318s go almost as well, while 320 use as much fuel as 325. the 320 engine is more refined and nicer to drive than 318s though.

2.5 conversions are pretty dam cheap now, definately way to go for easy and reliable power.

Edited by Mike

There is a few things you can do:

Go chuck some 98 in it - get a timing light and advance the timing on the dizzy untill it doesn't quite knock under full load. That's good for a bit of horsepower.

Put a 4.1:1 diff in it.

Manual it.

Don't bother with cold air box - just use a K&N flat panel filter in the stock filter housing.

Welcome to the site.

the timing advance thing only applies if its pre facelift ('87 or earlier)

The only really big difference you will notice is if you ditch the auto and go to a manual. The 320 is what it is - by that I mean it will never be a fast car though with sorted suspension, tyres, etc, it can be made to go round corners really well and they are a nice drive They will still cruise happily at license losing speeds. The biggest disappointment I think is that their 0-100 time is lethargic to say the best ( though better than a 318). Again though, a manual conversion and perhaps a change in diff ratio would help there. The 325 is an altogether faster car (though in the big scheme of things, isnt really that fast either). As a 320 owner the biggest differences I have noticed is freeing up the intake and exhaust and making sure everything is in tune - ie plugs, leads, timing, fueling, valve clearances etc. personally I think you are playing with fire in advancing the timing any more than standard as these engines can pre-ignite under load quite badly if the timing is advanced much above standard even on 96.

I had the same low power problems with my 320i. Either chuck a m20 2.5ltr in it or put a 2.5ltr m50 engine and 5spd. It's the only way your gonna get any sorta performance out of it and even then you'll have to turbo it to keep up with evo's and sti's etc

Check the current diff ratio - it's prolly a 3.9 or 4.1 already. My old 320 had a 4.1 from factory and it was fine with the auto, but a bit to short for when I manualed it and I went for a 3.9 afterward.

Manual conversion will set you back around $1500+ if you do the work yourself. Budget $2k-3k if you pay someone.

The only really big difference you will notice is if you ditch the auto and go to a manual. The 320 is what it is - by that I mean it will never be a fast car though with sorted suspension, tyres, etc, it can be made to go round corners really well and they are a nice drive They will still cruise happily at license losing speeds. The biggest disappointment I think is that their 0-100 time is lethargic to say the best ( though better than a 318). Again though, a manual conversion and perhaps a change in diff ratio would help there. The 325 is an altogether faster car (though in the big scheme of things, isnt really that fast either). As a 320 owner the biggest differences I have noticed is freeing up the intake and exhaust and making sure everything is in tune - ie plugs, leads, timing, fueling, valve clearances etc. personally I think you are playing with fire in advancing the timing any more than standard as these engines can pre-ignite under load quite badly if the timing is advanced much above standard even on 96.

great synopsis..pretty much sums it up

although timing advance can be fine...and you CAN advance motronic too..still need to test mine

I had the same low power problems with my 320i. Either chuck a m20 2.5ltr in it or put a 2.5ltr m50 engine and 5spd. It's the only way your gonna get any sorta performance out of it and even then you'll have to turbo it to keep up with evo's and sti's etc

But a stabdard 2.5 M20 with a close ratio box can out sprint a 05 297kw SS Comodore to Mid range 3rd gear as I found out yesterday. Was funny seeing the guys jaw drop.

the timing advance thing only applies if its pre facelift ('87 or earlier)

Which it why I suggested it as his is L-Jet.