Sign in to follow this  
TronSpec

Exhaust Manifold E30 m50 swap

Car just about nearing completion...

Had the problem of getting the stock cast iron manifolds off the e34 donor motor to fit in the e30 body. Tried some e36 m50 stock ones and they too don't fit properly as I've put a manual steering rack in and the universal was in the way. As I didn't want to modify the cast iron ones I decided to get some custom ones fabbed up. As funds became available I was able to complete the last process of my swap ( the exhaust) . I went to the garage after work on friday and help the engineer get them to this stage all equal length 6-2-1 and flowed and crack tested. Just need to weld the colle cters on the end and paint them with ceramic coating and then heat wrap them prior to installtion. Not sure what they gonna cost me but should be under $2000 as I have done alot of the work myself.

What do ya guys and girls rekon? If anyone has any questions about them like tube size etc just ask

post-746-1166335414_thumb.jpg

post-746-1166335459_thumb.jpg

post-746-1166335495_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrHamWallet

nice, but why ceramic coat and then heatwrap?

The ceramic coatings are extremely effective at stopping heat transfer.

as a rough guess Id say will cost about $400 to get it coated

Oh nah not that sort of ceramic coat mike. It's just some header paint in a can. High heat sh*t that says it's like ceramics coating or something. Heat wrap his awesome stuff colder the better

Is that actually a M motor or just a m50 with an M tappet cover?

2.5ltr m50 nonvanos 92 e34 . I just liked the look of the M cover over the stock one

The extractors look pretty dam good mate, look to flow pretty smooth. She will be breathing well ! might be worth upgrading to a link one day to get the most from the bolt ons? should still go sweet in the mean time tho. loving your work

Cheers Riley

Yeah I've got a chip to chuck in it once everything is done and running reliably. Just need to find a nice intake cam now

considered an s50 cam?

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

mmmmm S50 cams are a good upgrade, ive only ever seen it done to the m50 2.8 tho. as thats what the US based m3 s50 is based on

Yeah I've read about the s50 cam upgrade. Still not sure as I have a early model m50 nonvanos engine.

Did some more work on the exhaust today so heres an update.

Made up the collector section to join to my existing exhaust. had to fab up my own flange's as well. Also finished my headers ( hours of nuematic dye grinding to match port size = f**kin gay ) and started to wrap them and relised I was gonna need more wrap. haha

Also had to panelbeat the collector a bit into the shape of my flanges .

Since I've finally got an exhaust on it I thought I might see if she fires up see how f**ked my wiring might be but to my surprise she fired up after a couple of cranks.

Little bit more f**king round but I'm gonna finish it tommorow and see how it drives. Got a new clutch to wear in so no skids for a little bit I guess

post-746-1166517138_thumb.jpg

post-746-1166517164_thumb.jpg

post-746-1166517212_thumb.jpg

post-746-1166517234_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrHamWallet

Looks really nice dude, good finish on all the edges etc. Heatwrap looks cool i reckon.do it once do it right aye, see ya had a few beers (tui bro) lol

Edited by drifty325i

Looks really nice dude, good finish on all the edges etc. Heatwrap looks cool i reckon.do it once do it right aye, see ya had a few beers (tui bro) lol

They look like double brown to me..

Looking nice - double brown a bit odd though...

Would it not be an idea to cut a slice in between each exhaust port hole on the part that bolts to the head to stop it warping?

Looking nice - double brown a bit odd though...

Would it not be an idea to cut a slice in between each exhaust port hole on the part that bolts to the head to stop it warping?

Have drilled slightly bigger in diameter holes for the head studs leaving a 2 holes on each set for locators. Just copied the original cast irons ones for as far as this and other high temperature issues with warping, head movement etc

haha double browns cheap!! $10 dozen ..cold and in a bottle :ph34r:

Edited by MrHamWallet