Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ari Gold

Akl getrag rebuilders

Guest Spargo

Can anyone recommend a good getrag rebuilder in the akl area?

Also - what is the cost difference / durability between new off the shelf parts and recond internals? (box has done 280K)

Which would be the better way to go if longterm I were to DOHC it at some point?

I dont really know, but the 265's are strong as aren't they? So a 'new' one would handle a dohc easy wouldnt it?

A 2nd hand one (if you can find one), would be the best bang for buck? (Hopefully no bang).

Too much lightening shift technique?

Guest Spargo

yea the 260 is a strong box - stronger than the E36 ZF 5speed and the Evo 6spd. A completely rebuilt "new" box would last forever + be able to handle 400hp + no troubles.

The 265 is the dogleg M3 box.

Nick, probably 280K worth of wear and tear, rather than anything wrong with my shift technique - I baby her :D

Sam, Gavin Bellar rebuilt mine on the E30. I gave him 260 boxes, so he used the good parts from both, as well as some new parts to get it sorted.

My original one was still in pretty good condition, just had a damaged part that chewed through seals and it was forever leaking fluid.

Cheers

Grant

Can't remember exactly, but circa $700 - 800

Cheers

Grant

Haha, just block out the $$$ eh.

Yeah 260 is what i meant... :/ Dogleg would be nice tho....

I wasnt implying poor shifting, more "wanna be" Best Motoring shifting, (ie as fast as you can).

If it were me, id take my chances with a 2nd hand box, rather than a rebuild. (Again if you can find one).

Edited by m325i

Guest Ken

yea the 260 is a strong box - stronger than the E36 ZF 5speed and the Evo 6spd. A completely rebuilt "new" box would last forever + be able to handle 400hp + no troubles.

The 265 is the dogleg M3 box.

Nick, probably 280K worth of wear and tear, rather than anything wrong with my shift technique - I baby her :D

What would a 240 be able to handle?