Sign in to follow this  
Mike

before and after

before...

Posted Image

but that was overkill and I wanted some boot space back so I changed to this...

(Jordan wannabe setup I guess)

Posted Image

Posted Image

and the sub

Posted Image

Sub is sealed tight against rear firewall. Means all the noise actually goes forward, no boot rattles.

Goes awesome for a little sealed 10", and sounds so much nicer. Rear fill will be gone, tough for passengers.

And way more boot space, although doesn't seem so noticable in crappy pics

Edited by Mike

Badass.How come your back seat has an arm rest.I want one!

Looks good though...and arm rest folds back for anti-theft puposes...tuffff.

sh*t Mike that looks the goods! im pretty happy with mine, although it does weight a tonne :( yours would be half the weight, doubt it would be quite as loud as mine tho hehe

Edited by drifty325i

Nicely installed Mike. Like the Amp recessed into the Box!

Just a thougth, if you want to hide the Sub and leave the arm rest down just line the cut-out area with some speaker cloth.

Save you having to paint the MDF

Thanks for comments guys.

Leather seat with arm rest was a sweet score off my mate who crashed his UK import e30 a few years back.

True, not as loud as 2 12's but I never had them cranked up anyway, so were just taking up space and weight. Actually has the car sitting much more level, pretty much perfect now.

No need really to make ski hole look sweet as there is another piece that attaches thru velcro to cover the whole lot, you can see it lying on top of the armrest, its leather on the otherside. Only pulled it down to show where sub sits.

Tane- you could always bash out ski hole and just remove rear seat if you 2 of you are heading up the mountain, haven't seen many e30's with the fold down bit.

Hi, great to see some options for sub and amp setups. Ive been looking round for a while but struggling to find anything decent. Can I ask how you managed to cut the mdf so tightly to the curve of the boot. Looks real nice mate. Well done. Thanks in advance

Cheers, easiest way to do it would just be to make a cardboard template with the side profile that your after. make sense?

I've no regrets changing to the smaller sub, I was a bit worried I'd find it too quiet after the 12's but it acually has the same power rating. Any more q's just ask.

Edited by Mike

Hi, great to see some options for sub and amp setups. Ive been looking round for a while but struggling to find anything decent. Can I ask how you managed to cut the mdf so tightly to the curve of the boot. Looks real nice mate. Well done. Thanks in advance

Another way to do it is to use 12mm or small wooden dowel and bent it to shape and temporarily screw it in place. Then give it a coat of bog just to seal the gap and then fill with f/glass resin. Sounds complicated but actually quite easy. Here's my current install in my Alfa 156, but will soon be upgrading to 2 Image Dynamics IDmax12 as a bit of a show boot install.

Dowel held in place

Posted Image

Coat of bog to seal the gap (didn't seal that well and some f/glass leaked through so just needed a light sand after.

Posted Image

Finished with the carpet on

Posted Image

Got a very similar install in the wife's E30 to Mike's, even using a Soundstream Exact 10. Gives off a decent whack of bass and I don't have a centre armrest

Thats a pretty clean install mate. Nice work. Good to see all these options! Would like to see if anyone else has any more great ideas