Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

Importing a E30 M3

Ive wanting to import a E30 M3 from Japan, Im going to go for an 86 model as this is now 20 years old.

Has anyone on the forum imported and registered one in NZ trouble free this year?

What are the main points I should be looking at in regards to condition of a E30 M3, rust, interior condition etc

Also what should I pay for a nice tidy example?

Well, its an m3 Jaz so its worth more than $1 or 2k. It's an 86 which means that it can be registered in nz under the classic car exemption for frontal impact standards which a tidy example in nz would be worth around $45k-60k depending on how tidy. Landed and on the road, you'd want it to have cost you $30k or less I'd say to make it worth the stress and chance you get a dog.

Oh, and it'll have to be RHD or else you can't do it.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

If you pay more that $1k - 2k for a 20+ year old car, you're smegging mad! :)

Thanks for the great advice, just remembering why I spend such little time on this forum.

Well, its an m3 Jaz so its worth more than $1 or 2k. It's an 86 which means that it can be registered in nz under the classic car exemption for frontal impact standards which a tidy example in nz would be worth around $45k-60k depending on how tidy. Landed and on the road, you'd want it to have cost you $30k or less I'd say to make it worth the stress and chance you get a dog.

Oh, and it'll have to be RHD or else you can't do it.

Are you sure that a 20+ year old car has to be RHD to be registered in NZ? As I hope most of you are aware all E30 M3s are LHD.

I looked at doing this about 12 months ago, and found you will pay between NZ$7000-$13000 for a japanese car, depending on condition, I saw an Evo 2 go for $12K which looked like nice condition, I just missed out on that! I always say buy the best you can afford or find, it will be a more cost effective solution in the long term. Landed it should owe you around $15K, no I have not done the excercise but these were the numbers I came up with when I looked into it. For the trouble of doing it you will end up with a much nicer car then one of the $13K ones being advertised on trademe, or if you go the cheapy route you should own/land one for less than $10K.

i would research it directly on the ltsa site or call them or similar...definative answers on this subject are few and far between

also, let us know your results..would love to know as i am sure a few of us would be interested in the same thing

> Thanks for the great advice, just remembering why I spend such little time on this forum.

LOL - that's why the smiley face was there, mate!!

Apparently jokes need to be explained to some people... ;)

Factsheet about LHD - you may be right about that. http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/12.html I thought the LHD rules regarding overseas ownership for 90 days etc applied to all imports not just 20yrs or newer.

RHD m3??? as you say few and far between - did they even make any?? I think all the RHD ones are conversions.

When I said $30k I meant for a RHD. LHD ones sell on TM for sub $15k but you can't drive them on the roads. I was adding a premium for finding a much rarer RHD. But if you can import LHD ones and register them, then sweet - I would even look into that.

Whilst we're on this topic - there is an amendment being proposed to the frontal impact laws that will impact on importers of "classic cars".

Read about it here: http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/media/2006/061214.html

If we can get e30 m3, e34 m5, and older 6-series cars on the list as unique - collectable vehicles, then we would be able to import them less than 20 yrs old. Maybe the BMW club could look into making a submission???

i have done it.

It has to be brought in on a private name! It must be twenty years old then you can keep it left hook. But i think u will find it hard to find any more in Japan. We had a lot come in last year and a lot went to the UK, USA and Europe. But in saying that i am sure there are a couple left here an there.

ALL, and I mean ALL E30 M3's were built as LHD by the factory, if anyone tells you they have a rare factory RHD (including the black one kicking around AK) then they are wrong! You will find most, if not all M3's in Japan are still LHD. Most use 325i parts to convert to RHD, including the slower steering rack. Easy conversion by the look of it, but given the choice I would leave it LHD if possible.

Hey Guys,

Conrod is on the money in relation to costs, once vehicle is 20 yrs or older ther is no issue in registering it, LHD or not. Best bet is to talk to guys in the industry to keep an eye out for you in Japan, they will charge around $1k to do the honours, or go and talk to Tony at TWR, see if he will bring one in for you, there are still a fair few in Japan and most have pretty good specs. Maybe try Mike John, (Mr Targa), he could point you in the right direction also, think he still has an incredibly immaculate black RHD, but would be looking for around $50k for it.

Probably going over old ground, but the only RHD ones were converted from new by Birds in UK, used 325i steering rack, don't know about the standard 325i brakes someone else has mentioned, not part of the conversion as far as I know as it would have meant converting the discs from standard 325 4 stud to m3 5 stud, if you really want a RHD, the only place to source one is here or UK, vey rare in Japan and big $$ where ever you source it from.

Go for the best LHD you can find and enjoy, still one that I want in my ultimate shed, along with an M6 and e28 M5 !! Hey Santa !!

Good Luck with it.

i have done it.

It has to be brought in on a private name! It must be twenty years old then you can keep it left hook. But i think u will find it hard to find any more in Japan. We had a lot come in last year and a lot went to the UK, USA and Europe. But in saying that i am sure there are a couple left here an there.

I thought the same as you in regards to all E30 M3s being LHD, I was told by Jerry Hodges that he had owned the only factory built RHD M3 in the world and that it was here in NZ.

I thought the same as you in regards to all E30 M3s being LHD, I was told by Jerry Hodges that he had owned the only factory built RHD M3 in the world and that it was here in NZ.

lol .. another m3 rumor kicking around ... im gonna stay outta this one .. ;)

but conrads and oldskools posts are on the money from guys that know what they are talking about.

lol .. another m3 rumor kicking around ... im gonna stay outta this one .. ;)

but conrads and oldskools posts are on the money from guys that know what they are talking about.

I know quite a bit about them, just not how about how well they have aged etc.

What are the rarest colours? Most of the ex Jap E30 M3s seem to be grey?

I know quite a bit about them, just not how about how well they have aged etc.

What are the rarest colours? Most of the ex Jap E30 M3s seem to be grey?

Henna Red

What's that dark blue colour called?

Probably going over old ground, but the only RHD ones were converted from new by Birds in UK, used 325i steering rack, don't know about the standard 325i brakes someone else has mentioned, not part of the conversion as far as I know as it would have meant converting the discs from standard 325 4 stud to m3 5 stud, if you really want a RHD, the only place to source one is here or UK, vey rare in Japan and big $$ where ever you source it from.

I don't think they use the actual brakes from a 325, just the master cylinder, booster, cross link, brackets and bell cranks etc.

Well Im a little pissed.

I found an 1987 M3 and thought "bugger its to new" I looked into it further and it turned out that it was built into a winner because it was built in 01/87, I thought great by the time its landed here it will be 20 years old, looking further into it turns out that the 20 years isnt from the date it was built but the time it was first registered overseas. :(

Here is a pic:

post-463-1166599489_thumb.jpg

When was it registered? Maybe get it and spend a bit of time turning it into a minter before its registerable?

When was it registered? Maybe get it and spend a bit of time turning it into a minter before its registerable?

It was 1st registered in October 87 (built Jan 87)

To register a 20 year old car its done by the date it is 1st registered (in this case Oct 87 in Japan) and it has to be landed in NZ after it is 20 years old, therefore I couldnt register it without exporting it and then reimporting it after Oct 07.

Few alright cars coming up on auction soon that will be 20 years old.

http://www.j-spec.com.au/

They've got a Henna Red 87' M3

an 89' Hartge H27 sedan

and an 88' Alpina B11 sedan

Oh and of course a 1988 BMW 320i coupe .. 5 speed manual, black.. and only 67,000k. Landed and Certified cost of $10,700..