Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

My new 1990 SA built 325i

Time for a few before snaps.

Ive been half looking for something for a while now, but just when I decided to have a break and spend my money on other things this pops up. A collegue of my nephew needed to get rid of it sharpish and although it was a complete mess inside and out its only cosmetic and its brushing up nicely.

The details that I remember are....

1990 E30 ex Japan, built in South Africa

92k kms

Aircon

Power Steering

Cruise Control

Check computer

Trip computer

Black leather sport seats

Slushbox :(

Leccy windows, mirrors and sunroof

Extra water cooler

No LSD :(

and here are the before pictures....

post-116-1166497527_thumb.jpg post-116-1166497576_thumb.jpg post-116-1166497599_thumb.jpg

post-116-1166497622_thumb.jpg post-116-1166497632_thumb.jpg post-116-1166497643_thumb.jpg

post-116-1166497654_thumb.jpg post-116-1166497662_thumb.jpg

Edited by martyyn

This is the aim....post-116-1166498156_thumb.jpg

So far Ive had the entire interior out and have shampooed the carpets, removed enough dog hair to make a rug, evicted enough spiders to have the RSPCA around, 'liquid leathered' the seats, removed the rear tray to find it absolutely covered in some suspicious white dust only to find its dry as a bone and its all cracked up on me.

Ive shadowlined the passenger side today (thanks to Bravo and his rangi electrical tape mod !) and Ive treated most of the door rubbers, boot spoiler etc with Meguiars gold class trim detailer and have cleaned every inch of the interior.

Its starting to look very smart indeed. So far i reckon Ive done 25 hours of cleaning and expect another day or two to have it totally sorted.

Edited by martyyn

Mmm sounds like a whoooole lota TLC been put in.

Nooice

extra water cooler?

looks good - even though I like the cock normally

Will look good when done.

Water cooler? You mean oil cooler?

Im going to keep the auto until funds will allow a manual. For now though its all good and just needs cosmetic stuff done.

Sorry Andrew must be an oil cooler, dont know where I got water cooler from ! Sits just behind the front bumper at the bottom. Looks like a mini radiator.

Oh and has a sump guard and long range tank and super wide toolkit too....all full bar something that Ian say holds your wheels when you change them or something like that :wacko:

Anyone want to make me an offer for a dash carpet (in mint condition, unlike the dash) and a lovely Japenese parking thing on the front left corner :D

pic of the dash carpet installed? $15?

nice!

and what kind of tape did you use for shadowline? will it last long? need to do mine this weekned/

(thanks to Bravo and his rangi electrical tape mod !)

far north rangi rulez... again..! ;)

looks really good, Graham's (Bravo) is the same spec but his is now manual.

Very carefully Tane I can tell you....pays if you remove the little tabs on the bottom of the runners and have a sunroof too :D

nz320i....shadowline goodness....just used some plain old electrical tape from some hardware store....cheapest mod Ive ever done !

post-116-1167294149_thumb.jpg

Jap plate holder riveted to car :(

post-116-1167294306_thumb.jpg

Black and Decker is your friend....

post-116-1167294347_thumb.jpg

Jap plate holder is no more....

post-116-1167294584_thumb.jpg

Anyone have any idea on what I can do with the seats ? They have come up brilliantly with the liquid leather but the sides of the backs have pulled away in the heat like this....

post-116-1167294463_thumb.jpg

Anyone know if they can be bent back ? Im plying them with the leather conditioner in the hope that the leather (if the backs are even leather - they look like it) loosens up a little and I can try to bend them back.

Sparkle....alpina badassness....

post-116-1167294263_thumb.jpg

Springs are on their way :D

Hmm not sure how this photo got in here, but I cant remove it :(

post-116-1167294395_thumb.jpg

Edited by martyyn

The question is will the electrical tape last? :P

Thats really hot, loving the Alpinas. Just need a bit of tire paint and you're away laughing.

The question is will the electrical tape last? :P

Thats really hot, loving the Alpinas. Just need a bit of tire paint and you're away laughing.

Yep thats true, but I have 20 meters of the stuff so I can do it again !!!

Im not a fan of tyre paint Em... I prefer the natural look :) Ill be putting new shoes on in a few months anyway so those will get a coat of WD40 before they go on and that will take care of the cleaning.

Guest Spargo

Anyone know if they can be bent back ? Im plying them with the leather conditioner in the hope that the leather (if the backs are even leather - they look like it) loosens up a little and I can try to bend them back.

Negative Martyyn, i've tried with mine (they're in the same state), and its the ply or cardboard or whatever it is that is buggered. Best bet is to find some off a vinyl or cloth seat, as the're much sturdier, it seems.

Negative Martyyn, i've tried with mine (they're in the same state), and its the ply or cardboard or whatever it is that is buggered. Best bet is to find some off a vinyl or cloth seat, as the're much sturdier, it seems.

It just so happens that I have a set of cloth sports seats under the house and yes the vinyl backs fit very snuggly :) Its just that the vinyl doesnt look the best against the leather seats :(

Ive got an idea to try out it so Ill see if that works.

Nice car by the way with plenty of weekend projects left to do - which is as it should be. Enjoy. On a slightly different note why does anyone bother with using electrical tape to achieve shadow lining? Unless there is something I don't know about this practice the tape surely must fade and slowly come off over a short period of time. Why not do it properly with some wet n dry, etching primer, and paint? It took me about 4 hours per side including time for drying between coats. It been on a year now and is still looking great.

Another product to try for restoring leather is the Pelle leather care system. You can buy it from places that sell leather furniture, and while it will cost you around 60-70 bucks, in my opinion its well worth it for restoring the condition of older leather as it leaves the leather much softer looking without a gloss finish to it.

Other than that, love the wheels, they really set the car off nicely.

post-769-1167351428_thumb.jpg

On a slightly different note why does anyone bother with using electrical tape to achieve shadow lining?

Its just something thats quick and easy at the moment. I will be doing it properly at a later date when Ive narrowed down the 'to-do' list a little !

So had some time today to finish a few little things.

After an hour or two in Ian's magic cave of goodies I was loaded with things to knock the little jobs off quickly.

First up I finally found some lens tint after trying pretty much every shop in Wellington ! Red all around looks the business but the photo's make them look more orange than they are.

post-116-1168151772_thumb.jpg post-116-1168151792_thumb.jpg

Then I got stuck into making things black....

first the grill

post-116-1168151838_thumb.jpg

now a before

post-116-1168151873_thumb.jpg

and an after

post-116-1168151891_thumb.jpg

and then the rear shelf got swapped out for a clean, shampooed and painted black one. Anyone want these nasty speakers ?

Old one....

post-116-1168152052_thumb.jpg post-116-1168151938_thumb.jpg

Its not very easy to show what a difference this makes....but I reckon its one of the best and cheapest mods you can do.

post-116-1168151980_thumb.jpg

and finally

post-116-1168152086_thumb.jpg

Things are coming along nicely :D

Im thinking that Im going to have to paint the rest of the grill now as the horizontal bits look terrible against the newly painted grill... it doesnt look that different in person.

true, have thought about that myself so ill see what happens, i want to get stuck into the bimmer again just totally lost motivation to work on it lately!!

looking good, where did you buy the red tint? got any left?

any plans to lower it? jamex on trade me for 299...

Looks fantastic!

Edited by nz320i