Sign in to follow this  
bumpdE30

Starting Troubles..

mmmk i have a problem with my bmw.. ill explain to the best of my ability at my present state.

SOMETIMES only sometimes when i try start my car it will turn over for a good like 5 - 10 seconds and it turns over nice and healthy but it just doesnt start. sometimes in the morning it starts first try sometimes it doesnt. sometimes it starts strait away when its warm, sometimes it takes forever and I think im going to be stranded, but it fortunitly hasnt done that to me yet.. what ive found as it mostly happens when i leave the car for say 20-30mins or so and then it has trouble starting after that 20-30 mins. getting reallllll anoyed.. any suggestions?

Oh yeah, never cuts out while im driving and runs fine.. so WTF!!!??!

dont know how to fix it, but the gf's 320 does the samething, after i put the new exhaust on, it dosnt do it as much but everynow and again it does - is really annoying

it could bethe leads, mine did it aswell then i got new plugs and bigger leads and it seemed to solve, hvnt testd hers yet but i think thts wot it mite be???

mmmk i have a problem with my bmw.. ill explain to the best of my ability at my present state.

SOMETIMES only sometimes when i try start my car it will turn over for a good like 5 - 10 seconds and it turns over nice and healthy but it just doesnt start. sometimes in the morning it starts first try sometimes it doesnt. sometimes it starts strait away when its warm, sometimes it takes forever and I think im going to be stranded, but it fortunitly hasnt done that to me yet.. what ive found as it mostly happens when i leave the car for say 20-30mins or so and then it has trouble starting after that 20-30 mins. getting reallllll anoyed.. any suggestions?

Oh yeah, never cuts out while im driving and runs fine.. so WTF!!!??!

Perhaps a problem with the cold start injector or thermo time switch

nah nah isnt it a relay??

mine used to not start well after just running the car for a long time when it was auto, hasnt done it much lately though..

Same problem as mine?

If so starter motor solenoid,hence new starter.

Or keep a broom stick on you at all times,whack the starter if it doesnt start.works mean.

Same problem as mine?

If so starter motor solenoid,hence new starter.

Or keep a broom stick on you at all times,whack the starter if it doesnt start.works mean.

i dont think its the starter motor because it turns over mint, engine jsut doesnt like to come alive..

Is your fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition to the "on" part just before you turn it to crank the motor?? Listen carefully and you should here a little whirr sound coming from under your back left sill.

My car did this when I had the m20 motor in it.

I've had the same problem for god knows how long. It only happens AFTER the car has been running and engine is warm. It's a fuelling issue but since it always starts on the second attempt it's no major to me. I suspect that it's actually an injector problem, possibly a small leak and flooding.

I'm actually replacing my fuel injectors with those from a 2.5 so I hope that fixes it

Edited by Carl

I've had the same problem for god knows how long. It only happens AFTER the car has been running and engine is warm. It's a fuelling issue but since it always starts on the second attempt it's no major to me. I suspect that it's actually an injector problem, possibly a small leak and flooding.

I'm actually replacing my fuel injectors with those from a 2.5 so I hope that fixes it

mmm its friggin anoying. mine sometimes doesnt start till the 5th try.. but yeah only when engine is warm ususaly.. GRRR.

Is your fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition to the "on" part just before you turn it to crank the motor?? Listen carefully and you should here a little whirr sound coming from under your back left sill.

My car did this when I had the m20 motor in it.

ill have a listen next time i start it up when warm. there must b someway to like quick fix it lol its geting to me.

cheers so farrrr guys

As Carl said - possibly injectors leaking & semi flooding, or faulty engine management temp sensor simulating cold engine & causing computer to overfuel the engine.

Not starter if engine cranks normally

Unlikely to be pump or the car would not start but do listen for the initial prime when you turn the key on.

320's dont have a cold start injector/thermo time switch.

Unlikely to be HT leads but could possibly be tired plugs but they more likely would cause a cold start issue.

My Rx7 had a similar problem. It always started fine from cold but not when warm. The cause was chronic flooding from dirty injectors. Build up in the injectors stopped them from shutting off completely, raw fuel would seep past them into the intake while the engine was stopped so the engine was always flooded when you came to restart it. (given enough time the residual fuel pressure would drop and the fuel would evaporate, so no trouble when cold) I rigged up a switch to isolate the fuel pump, you would crank the starter with the pump switched off, the flooding would clear, the engine would cough and try to fire, then you turn the pump back on.

It may not be the problem in your car, but it's not hard to hook up a switch and give it a go, and even if thats not the problem the switch can be hidden and used for an extra bit of security

Edited by gmccormack