Sign in to follow this  
jpp

Flywheels and Diffs...

I have a '90 e30 parts car 320i manual done 175k kms which I want to put the tranny into my '89 320i. To make the transition easier what should I be doing to the parts car in between, whats the pros and cons [costs] of getting the flywheel lightened etc and should I be switching diffs from the parts car also or leave the auto's diff in? Also, with the clutch kit etc, should I be going OEM or LuK?

I have a '90 e30 parts car 320i manual done 175k kms which I want to put the tranny into my '89 320i. To make the transition easier what should I be doing to the parts car in between,

You are going about this the right way. DON'T get rid off the parts car until the swap is finished. If you are careful,everything [eg clutch hard lines] can be swapped over.

I did exactly the same with an E36 conversion [there is always something that you've forgotten to remove, that you'll need later]

If you have a poor memory or limited mechanical skills, use a digital camera on everything.

If you are using your car as a daily driver [to work/skool] leave the flywheel alone [it'll need re-balancing if you hack into it]

LUK clutches are fine! in my conversion I swapped everything [the only extra bit I purchased was the pilot bearing [in the back of the crank] for $6 ,because removing it from the donor car usually destroys it

Basically I'm allowed to keep the parts car until I'm finished with it, so it won't be going for a wee while yet.

I can take my daily off the road, thats no problem as I have access to other vechiles -- incl. a do up n/fl 320i but thats another story.

Was more after what should I do to the parts car while I have some holidays, then end of Jan hit the daily with a manual swap.

- I'm also liking the idea of a Z3 shifter etc... opinions?

Z3 shifter is one of the best mods ive done to mine, costs bugger all to. Ive had mine in for 4years now and its never missed a beat.

Will sadly miss it when the supra box is in

depending on the ratio's is whether you want to change the diff's over.

with the 5spd box's, you may want the lower ratio diff out of the two. to keep economy under control.

Plan to swap the diff over, but not straight away, it's fun to zip around with the higher ratio diff but eventually you'll want the more practical lower ratio. The Z3 shifter change is a really good mod, do it.

Plan to swap the diff over, but not straight away, it's fun to zip around with the higher ratio diff but eventually you'll want the more practical lower ratio. The Z3 shifter change is a really good mod, do it.

Where's the best place to purchase a Z3 shifter?

if you put the z3 lever in it will need bending a little first to put it in the same position as the present one.I got a kit from Bavarian motors which is a piece fitted to the lower part of the lever and it does the same job.but if you do the change over don't forget to fit a new shift arm bushing and a shift handle ball cup bushing they are usually worn,and they improve the throw as well.

Awesome. Cheers for that guys.

And as for the flywheel....?

Lighten it, skim it? Any tips along those lines? Should it be done now or is it easy enough to get done at a later stage. And should I be using the parts car one or the current one?