Sign in to follow this  
m_power

e30 turbo

I was just woundering how much it cost to turbo an e30 325. Of course this is a distance future thing for me but just wanted to get a rough idea of the cost involved. I was thinking of using a skyline rb25 turbo and intercooler, custom manifold etc...so wat is the cheapest way to do this, and to get reliable horsepower, i was thinking of around the 280bhp mark?

SR20DET worked. Prob most popular E30 turbo.

But i still want to keep the original m20 engine, to keep it "like" a original bmw.

Turbo = not like an original E30?

Turbo = not like an original E30?

yeh i know, but if i was gona turbo it i would rather see a m20 under the hood than an sr20det, if you know wat i mean?

M10 turbo

this or m50b25 non vanos

You can turbo the m20 just dont expect easy HP from it due to its 12 valve head.

if you do go for turboing the m20, look into a proper fuel system (pretty much key), an ECU (link is a good base) multilayer metal head gasket (a must), wide band o2 for tuning all this will allow you to run lower boost 10-12psi. Anything on top of this with the m20 your looking into some interesting engine work.

We need some more turbo BMWs around :D I wished more people would look into it ... its not actually that much of a black art.

this or m50b25 non vanos

You can turbo the m20 just dont expect easy HP from it due to its 12 valve head.

if you do go for turboing the m20, look into a proper fuel system (pretty much key), an ECU (link is a good base) multilayer metal head gasket (a must), wide band o2 for tuning all this will allow you to run lower boost 10-12psi. Anything on top of this with the m20 your looking into some interesting engine work.

We need some more turbo BMWs around :D I wished more people would look into it ... its not actually that much of a black art.

Chuck me another $5000 on top of what I've spent and I'd happliy turbo mine.

I did seriously look into it as I was having to make a exhaust manifold from scratch anyway....... Sucks my income does not keep up with inflation aye

e30tech.com...look around for hours before asking q's, there is a helluva lot of people who have actually done it....as far as i know no one on here has turbo a m20...anyway looking on there will probably convince ya, and give you pretty much all your info

thanks for your help guys...looks like i will have to do more research. Does any1 have a rough indication of how much it would cost?

e30tech.com...look around for hours before asking q's, there is a helluva lot of people who have actually done it....as far as i know no one on here has turbo a m20...anyway looking on there will probably convince ya, and give you pretty much all your info

325Grant has a turbo M20, only boost controllers don't drop boost and he blew his HG. Cost around $5k?

My M10 turbo project should be finished sometime next week, don't have camera for updated pix though. I have done extremely basic setup and I'm probably going to end up spending less than $1500. (Work perks have managed to keep this down significantly)

As Gus said just look on e30tech and read, lots. They have a few good stickies with most of the info you'll need. Just make sure you plan the whole thing out and then start buying bits.

Edited by Mike

M20 is a sweet turbo motor.

e30tech.com FI section. 280 rwhp is attainable on stock internals. It's all down to tune.

Yeh thats what i thought. So you dont think it could be done for abput 3k?

Yeh thats what i thought. So you dont think it could be done for abput 3k?

Not even close.

Get closer to 10k (sure it's on the high side). But you could use new bits then and also a decent aftermarket ECU like link. Could do cheaper with Megasquirt or the likes.

For the record - I have a 318 turbo with 280 hp on medium boost - so it is easily attainable on the 2.5 m20 [not that that means a lot I know - just giving you an idea]

Not even close.

Get closer to 10k (sure it's on the high side). But you could use new bits then and also a decent aftermarket ECU like link. Could do cheaper with Megasquirt or the likes.

For the record - I have a 318 turbo with 280 hp on medium boost - so it is easily attainable on the 2.5 m20 [not that that means a lot I know - just giving you an idea]

Oh!!! well i was way off!!! if i used as much used bits as possible...would i be able to get the price down? e.g. skyline turbo and intercooler. Or is that just the cost of doing it?

325Grant has a turbo M20, only boost controllers don't drop boost and he blew his HG. Cost around $5k?

My M10 turbo project should be finished sometime next week, don't have camera for updated pix though. I have done extremely basic setup and I'm probably going to end up spending less than $1500. (Work perks have managed to keep this down significantly)

As Gus said just look on e30tech and read, lots. They have a few good stickies with most of the info you'll need. Just make sure you plan the whole thing out and then start buying bits.

How did u do it so cheap? is it cheaper to turbo m10s?

Oh!!! well i was way off!!! if i used as much used bits as possible...would i be able to get the price down? e.g. skyline turbo and intercooler. Or is that just the cost of doing it?

Go look at this page - fairly comprehensive. If I remember correctly he did a "cheap" setup orginally.

http://www.bimmerjim.com

Basically spent 6 months collecting bits at good prices, also cheap/free material from work and access to metal working machines/tools. Being in the trade (sort of) also helps get things done cheaper. My setup isn't so much about outright power but more of a base system that will allow me to easily upgrade, eg front mount IC, ECU, bigger turbo without taking car off road for long.

Its been said before but there is power, reliablilty and (low) cost. Pick 2.

How much you spend comes down to much you can do yourself and whether you go for new or second hand parts. I built my own manifold for $70, I'm guessing it would be at least a $500 job if I had to pay someone. Would you go for aftermarket ECU or FMU and a turbo chip? Could you install and tune an ECU? All of that adds up pretty quickly if you pay someone to do it.

Start reading up and you'll quickly get an idea of what's involved and how much it will cost.

Ok, after doing more research iv decided its to much $$$ for me to turbo my car, so instead i am going to do a manual conversion and mtech kit, i am gona have to wait for a little while b4 i can purchase these parts as $$$ is a bit tight untill end of january. But if any1 offers me one cheap or i see a cheap buy i may purchase it. Looking to buy kit as whole(front,side,rear kit)

Ok, after doing more research iv decided its to much $$$ for me to turbo my car, so instead i am going to do a manual conversion and mtech kit, i am gona have to wait for a little while b4 i can purchase these parts as $$$ is a bit tight untill end of january. But if any1 offers me one cheap or i see a cheap buy i may purchase it. Looking to buy kit as whole(front,side,rear kit)

yeah bro good choice aye. Unless you've got money to burn taking on a project like that does cost alot of money to do it right. Plus getting all the parts and putting it together is only half the mission. Tuning it, maintaining it and running it from day to day is what really costs.