Sign in to follow this  
jrgb

BMW E46 M3 GTR V8

Hi All,

A couple of months ago I posted some info on two E46 M3 GTR V8 racecars being built in Auckland. One has the 5 litre M engine, and is being built as a pure track racecar. Engine is in temporarily; wheel arches have been tubed; exhausts will exit the side; air-jacks will be fitted, etc, etc.

The other won't be quite as radical, and will have a 4.4 litre engine. This one will be used for a Targa / race car. Both will have the full E46 GTR body kits, and both will probably be painted in matching classic white / blue / red colour scheme.

Attached are a few images of the first car. Early days, but you will get an idea of where we are going with the two projects.

Will keep everyone informed on progress. Cheers, John.

OK - I had to re-read the first post. Now I understand - its for racing! :wacko:

Duh!!

I was wondering why the f**k anyone would do that to their car... must learn to read better!! :)

Cool stuff, mate. Good luck!

Holly crap! they will look so cooool. I love the m3 gtr kit

That looks to be at Race FX.. is Andy building them?

Cool cars

That looks to be at Race FX.. is Andy building them?

Cool cars

Yip, these are the cars that Andy Culpin is building at Race FX. The 5 litre 'track only' cars will be his own (or he'll sell it if the price is right). I'm buying the 4.4 litre road / race car for Targa and circuit use (as long as I can sell my existing racecar!).

Andy will also build more of these cars (to any spec) if a customer fronts up with the dollars.

Cheers, John

Not running a dry sump lubrication system??

What suspension setup is it going to run? Full rear coilovers??

Just out of curiosity approximately how much is a build like this? (car excluded).

That rear arch also looks a bit strange compared to the ALMS M3 GTRs (slightly sloped downwards rather than perpendicular to the body) ... I presume it's not going to a direct copy?

Nice build by the way ... I was wondering when someone was going to do this in NZ

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by M3_Power

That rear arch also looks a bit strange compared to the ALMS M3 GTRs (slightly sloped downwards rather than perpendicular to the body) ... I presume it's not going to a direct copy?

I don't think it's finished.. that looks to be only for the tubbing?

Edited by dave

Looking forward to seeing the modified chassis suspension pick-up points.

I presume Mac. struts are planned for the front (camber plates in the pic), I would have thought a project this extensive would use a double whisbone setup??

How does he propose to do the rear end?? No sub-frame and partial tube frame to drop the chassis?? Raising the front control arm mounts too??

Any pic's with the GTR guards up front??

Is your 4.4l road going version going to have the GTR guards and a dropped chassis??? Wouldn't think that would be road let alone Targa friendly???

Or more along the lines of a "wide body" M3??

Sorry about the 20 Q's, I love projects and fabrication/engineering stuff.

Keep the pics coming!!!!

Just been and got scrutineered at Andy's and had a nosey at the car he's building. He's at the tubbing stage, hasn't done the flaring yet. Motor's sitting in place, and he's started to cut the floor for tanks and rear setup, also has to modify the driveshaft tunnel. Carbon fibre bonnet, looks real nice. Go and get pre checked and have a look, real nice guy.

Cant wait to see (hear) the finished article :0)

Not running a dry sump lubrication system??

What suspension setup is it going to run? Full rear coilovers??

Just out of curiosity approximately how much is a build like this? (car excluded).

Nice build by the way ... I was wondering when someone was going to do this in NZ

Posted Image

Posted Image

We will fit inboard mounted coilovers & adjustable swaybar, and yes it will have dry sump. Yes the images only show the tubs, not the flares yet! More images to follow soon.

We will fit inboard mounted coilovers & adjustable swaybar, and yes it will have dry sump. Yes the images only show the tubs, not the flares yet! More images to follow soon.

Hi Andy - Good to see you got signed up.

Welcome to the site.

looks tits, cant wait to see the finished product. Guesstimate final hp figure?

Welcome bro, good to see someone doing a project like this in NZ, you'll be the envy of everyone !