Sign in to follow this  
nath

Looking to buy

Well hello all, I drive an auto mercedes 230e 1990 and am looking to sell it and buy another car. well really just buy another car!

I know most that there is to know about ALL the models features, handling and price, but id like some fuel consumption advice....

IMO the merc has sportscar handling compared to a f**king standard e30, so i dont realy want an e30, and i dont want to shop for too long either ...

what are your fuel stories with:

e36 318i auto

e36 318is auto

e36 325i manual

nathan

Well hello all, I drive an auto mercedes 230e 1990 and am looking to sell it and buy another car. well really just buy another car!

I know most that there is to know about ALL the models features, handling and price, but id like some fuel consumption advice....

IMO the merc has sportscar handling compared to a f**king standard e30, so i dont realy want an e30, and i dont want to shop for too long either ...

what are your fuel stories with:

e36 318i auto

e36 318is auto

e36 325i manual

nathan

E36 325i, you get more to the gallon with a reasonable sized straight six compared to the others - M50 versus M43 .. your better of witha M52 motor, a E36 323 model?

My 1995 E36 325 Auto - around 9l/100km trip and 11l/100km town

Funnily enough, my E39 528 is slightly better on the fuel than the 325 was. My E36 318 was the thirstiest of them all, I guess because it was foot to the floor all the time to try to coax 'normal' performance form it.

However, if you're really worried about fuel consumption - get a Prius :)

Oh yeah i shoulkd add the reason for this- I have NO income of my own, its my mother who will buy me the car just to see me out of the merc, hence the fuel issues

Yes i've had both the M50 325i and now a M52 323i and definately find the 323i better on gas. Also love the low end torque on the m52 that the m50 didn't have.

Don't buy an auto, unless you can't drive a manual, hang out and find a manual they come up from time to time , much better

I presume you mean from an economy pov?

If so, it depends on one's driving style. One reason I prefer an auto these days is that a stick shift makes me think I'm 40 years younger and I suddenly turn back into that idiot that I was at 18 and drive like a total wanker. That has a VERY deleterious effect upon fuel consumption.

I drove to the Hutt and back yesterday and took care to sit on (or very near to) the speed limits and returned 7.8l/100km, so fuel economy really is (imo) all about how we drive, more that what we drive.

e36 318i auto

Haven't driven one, But I'm guessing it's probably not a whole lot better than a 318iS.. especially in auto.

e36 318is auto

~$90 to fill, 550-600km per tank, absolutely dead slow and dull to drive.. alright on corners though.

e36 325i manual

Would pick this over the 318iS ANY DAY.. even if it used twice as much gas, But I'm going to guess that the fuel economy on a manual M50B25 325 would be VERY similar to an Auto M44/M42B18 318iS

I've got a 328i auto.

9~9.5L/100kms highway (depending on how lead-footed I am)

and 13l/100kms city.

Average about 10.5~11l/100kms.

Get the bigger engine. Torque is amazing. :D

e36 318is auto

~$90 to fill, 550-600km per tank, absolutely dead slow and dull to drive.. alright on corners though.

Thats absolutely terrible. My hack car is a nz new Opel Vectra GT. The 'sporty' 130hp one. 60 litre tank about $85 to fill from empty, gets me over 800kms to a tank. Would wipe the floor with a 318 as well :mellow:

No: there is about as much pleasure in driving and automatic as there is sitting on a bus.

Autos suck and autos is supposed "drivers cars" suck even more.

If that statement is truly what you think, then I'm very sorry for you. What an incredibly stupid attitude to have.

I don't know about condoms as I've never worn one :rolleyes: , however, I respect your opinion to prefer manual transmissions, that is entirely your right. What I cannot ignore is that you express your opinion as an undisputed fact, which it clearly is not.

Apparently many car makers also have different opinions from that standpoint, hence the decline of manual boxes worldwide.

I have for the past 30 years held a strong preference for automatics, caused in some part by having a munted left ankle from a surfing injury. Without an auto box, I would be unable to drive for long. I still enjoy my car just as much as anyone else does. To me it does not feel like sitting in a bus. So, in that regard, I am conforming to your statement that:

Time the buying public became a bit more discerning and did their homework and bought what they need rather than what a dealer is trying to off load

Demonstrably, I do indeed buy what I need.

I enjoy the precision in control that comes with driving a manual.

95% of my total driving is in town and at all times I attempt to drive according to our road laws, therefore I have no need for any further perceived control that could be attributed to having a manual gearbox. Were I racing, I have no doubt that I too would prefer a manual, but I'm not - I'm just a Joe Average driver who loves his cars.

BTW - sorry if I seemed a bit offish, I just have always had a problem with fanatics (defined in this sense as those who posses single-minded opinions).

Cheers,

Rog :)

Hey i second you on that one jazzbass, i basically have completely surgically created and reshaped and tendoned and boned feet, because i was born handicapped. With the seat adjustments i reqiure for a manual, a long drive really hurts my back a lot, so im in your 'camp' so to speak.... (dont laugh sam haha)

I am happy with the economy i get from my auto, and yes i too conform to speed limits.

Nevertheless i am not shopping for a gearbox, i am shopping for a good engine and nice car

nathan

Thats absolutely terrible. My hack car is a nz new Opel Vectra GT. The 'sporty' 130hp one. 60 litre tank about $85 to fill from empty, gets me over 800kms to a tank. Would wipe the floor with a 318 as well :mellow:

I fill with either Gull 95 or BP 98, and on a full tank I can get from Tauranga to Auckland and back with about 50km in city driving too (so around 500km total) and by the time I'm back my gas light is on well and truly. The 318iS is probably more economical around town than something like a 328i.. But not at all on the open road, Have to be sitting on about 4000rpm to get up most hills without slowing down, foot to the floor going up the Kaimai's and you'll sit at 100k and take about 2 minutes to get to 120k sitting at about 5000rpm.. So yeh, dead slow.

140hp 318iS vs 130hp Opel Vectra, you'd be a fair bit lighter than me and probably not have the moonshot gear ratio's.. So It'd be an easy win on your behalf, I get smoked by diesel wagons, people movers, paraplegics in wheelchairs..

Good points, mate.

I do think that consumer demand has an effect on supply. Like it or not, people are living and driving longer and today we live in an ageing society, demographically. As we age, it is natural that we prefer different things to the young. Included in these preferences is a desire towards ease in many areas. Auto are clearly easier to drive, particularly in cities. Many studies suggest that driving an auto in town is less stressful and many of us prefer that state in our daily lives. Not to be ignored is that females are also driving far more these days and the distaff market is one which car makers ignore at their peril. In a generalistic sweep, I'd venture the opinion that the majority of females over the age of 30 would prefer autos (this is simply an opinion, I have no studies on which to base this, other than personal observation).

I do understand the car enthusiasts viewpoint about manuals and it was one I also held in my youth. However, things change as we age. For instance, when I was young I'd always do all my car repairs, including engine and gearbox rebuilds, by myself at home. From about age 35 on, I just couldn't be bothered with all that, I had other priorities (such as family) and since I was making good money by then - paid other people to do it. Today, although I still attend to the little things, my preference is for someone else to get their hands dirty for me. Similarly, I prefer to let modern technology do a myriad of other tasks for me, including altering the gear ratios for me. I don't see this as a lowering of standards, I see it as a personal preference.

In all honesty I don't think a manual is a manual if it doesn't have a clutch you control with your left foot and a gearstick you move in an H-type action to change between the gears.

That said, it will be interesting to see what happens with SMG style technology, as long as it's as far away from "tiptronic" style gearboxes as possible..

Your points are all valid, but they are largely your personal take on a generalised comment and one of convenience over passion

I absolutely agree, it is really the only opinion I can have, as I don't have the research to formulate any other, which is why I objected in the first instance. It seemed to me that your statement was claiming an absolute, when it was clearly a personal take. I'm sorry about that, but that's just the way us old farts get - grumpy at times.. well, OK, then most of the time!! LOL

BTW, 3Pedals (sorry I don't know your name), thank you very much for keeping this discussion civil. It could so easily have slipped a cog. :)

While I was doing some informal research on this topic, I came across a few articles claiming that both manuals and autos will eventually fall victim to CVTs.

Its not a position I adhere to, but the writers (In Europe and USA) seem convinced.

My daughter has a CVT Primera wagon and its miles better than the DAF/Volvo CVT I drove 20+ years ago, but I'm not sure everyone will adopt/accept it.

According to other articles, its all a moot point anyway, because they claim the internal combustion engine is a lumbering dinosaur and will be removed from new car construction within the next couple of decades. I don't subscribe to that theory either. At the very least, I fully expect to be able to drive a dinosaur until I die. After that - not my problem!! :)

Edited by Jazzbass

According to other articles, its all a moot point anyway, because they claim the internal combustion engine is a lumbering dinosaur and will be removed from new car construction within the next couple of decades. I don't subscribe to that theory either. At the very least, I fully expect to be able to drive a dinosaur until I die. After that - not my problem!! :)

Don't worry, at the rate I'm going I reckon I've only got 20 years or so left in me too..

So hopefully Internal Combustion engines running on petrol with big turbo's hanging off the side of them will outlive me..

318iScoupe- why 20 years? are you a bad driver?

Ok so for MY driving (lots of pointless runs around auckland, frequency and distance determined by how economical my cars are and how much money/ petrol i have. Also probably monthly runs to the bay of islands at the speed limit from auckland.

aside from economy issues- how about reliability and maintenance of the 318is, 320i, and 325i?

nathan

318iScoupe- why 20 years? are you a bad driver?

No, but I drink too much and I end up in lots of disputes.

So I can see myself dying from liver disease at 35 or being stabbed to death sometime sooner haha.

Ok so for MY driving (lots of pointless runs around auckland, frequency and distance determined by how economical my cars are and how much money/ petrol i have. Also probably monthly runs to the bay of islands at the speed limit from auckland.

aside from economy issues- how about reliability and maintenance of the 318is, 320i, and 325i?

nathan

325i would be the most economical, read above for what my 318iS is like on gas!

Reliability and maintenance is all pretty similar, can't think of any differences for the worse or better as far as maintenance is concerned between the 3 cars.

I agree - 325i ftw.

318 - too slow on acceleration and need foot down all the time

320 - ditto

325 - better overall performer and imo better balanced car

No: there is about as much pleasure in driving and automatic as there is sitting on a bus.

Autos suck and autos is supposed "drivers cars" suck even more.

The reasons we have so many Autos in NZ a apepar to be:

1)We buy sh*t jap imports whcih are predominantly auto

2) We get sold the idea that an auto is "better" than a manual because on peasants drive manuals.

3) There is this belief that everyone drives an autothere fore they must be okay.

80% of cars in Europe are still manual ( UK , Germany , Holland, France etc. )

Time the buying public became a bit more discerning and did their homework and bought what they need rather than what a dealer is trying to off load

Coming from a member named "3 pedals" as opposed to "2 pedals" I would hope for nothing less than "Autos r gay" to come out of your mouth.

Strangely enough most BMW's and Mercedes (I must say, two of the predominantly leading luxury marquees) are automatic. Hell, the 7 series don't even come in manual gangsta! That must mean IT SUCKS!

But yeah manuals are fun to drive. But autos don't suck.

Edited by BMW POWER

it depends where you drive most of the time, If you drive on the open road a lot then a manual would be the prefered choice but if you're sitting in traffic before and after work then an automatic would be more appropriate.

Coming from a member named "3 pedals" as opposed to "2 pedals" I would hope for nothing less than "Autos r gay" to come out of your mouth.

Don't use the term 2 pedals too loosely, all my mates use "2 pedals" when they lose their licences

I would be proud to be known as "2 pedals"! It takes a lot of skill to punch up and down the cogs without the clutch [quickly]

I believe Gus is good at racing with 2 pedals haha! [the 2 wheeled variety]

Gentlemen, Gentlemen and I us that term loosely!! please keep to the subject the man asked for fuel figures.Not if you have sex with a condom or not , wether you prefere an auto or manual. You are acting like spoiled little children.

Answer the mans query and do not drag this site into the gutter. Regards ALLAN HUGHES

Hey allan thats a perfect post! thankyou!

so yes still wanting educated answers to my question from people who know what they drive, and dont expect or try to coax 300hp of tractable power from the accelerator pedal of a 318! The reason i say this, is that i have had 2 316i's, and found them both fine to drive, and very economical

cheerth guyth

nathan

Edited by nath