Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

M20 2.5 into 2.3?

Right,upon checking with the mechanic on how much he'd charge to fix the problem with the motor in my car,I am SERIOUSLY considering sticking a 2.5 in.Im pretty sure my motor would be f**ked or well a lil rooted after driving almost 10kms with no oil <_<

So,the only problem is...would a 2.5 m20 pretty much "bolt on" as a replacement over the 2.3?Eg. are the looms the same,any modifation needed to cross member,would gbox etc work.Pretty much want to know if it'll be an easy swap or may aswell put a m40 in kinda swap...nahmean? hahah.

Already got a few 2.5's in mind,just need the info pleaaaase!

Cheers

Ashkan

Yes it will go in, no the looms are differant, Auto or manual??, Pre face lift or later??

Have done this to a 323i, am running the old l jet ignition at the moment, Used a pre face lift motor, and 323 gearbox. So had no problem with the sensors on the gearbox, early 325 motor.

Have done seen one local to me wellington. that has the same done, 320 to 325, and had the loom spliced together. Not that hard to do.

If you decide to do this, pm me and i can give you the things to watch out for.

Yeh it is a pre f/l 2.5 going into a pre f/l 2.3 so should basicly be straight swap?

What do you mean by splice the loom together? I have a spare loom if it needs butchering?

You need to check if your gearbox has plugs for the 325 sensors. Any BMW workshop can check this for yuo in minutes. If you do, you can use pre fl 325. If not, you nneed to get hold of FL 325 motor or at least the fl 325 loom and computer.

bugger dude...uber pain in ass. if i end up getting more time will see what i can help out with..why not start looking for a donor car? or dare i say, new car full stop? facelift 318 or 320? getting a m20b25 to run in your car will end up being pretty tricky no matter which way ya look at it

A donor car is the best way to go, but if you want to do the swap without one all you really need to get from a 2.5 car is the ECU, engine loom and radiator. No wiring "splicing" is needed you just have to swap one plug on the loom for one of a different shape. As others have mentioned you will need the right box too, if the engine you plan to use is from a prefacelift car.

+1 for donor car.

you know you'll have all the bits to make it work. Plus you get bits like bigger front struts, bigger sways and other options that some 325 had. Depending on the year of your 323 you may already have some of these bits though. Either way sell the bits you don't need off donor car to help pay for conversion.

AT least this is the best kind of f*ck up. The kind that forces you to make a cool upgrade.

Cards are dealt, the only play is to go new car/donor car.

get an LSD whiles your at it

A donor car is the best way to go, but if you want to do the swap without one all you really need to get from a 2.5 car is the ECU, engine loom and radiator. No wiring "splicing" is needed you just have to swap one plug on the loom for one of a different shape. As others have mentioned you will need the right box too, if the engine you plan to use is from a prefacelift car.

Graeme did it to my car before I owned it - You could copy the wiring codes from that

Would tags etc be a problem?I mean unless you know what you're looking at m20s look pretty much the same?Or could always get the tags etc off the donor car if need be?