Sign in to follow this  
nath

Idle/ starting issues

So today i decided to clean out my air intake/ throttle body on my M20.

-Did all that with carby cleaner, dried nicely, put all back together with cleaner, tighter seals than before, checking all pipes etc for conition. All was mint. All elec connections clean.

-Once it was all back together, the previous 20 sec sliiiight idle fluctuation had gone from 700- 1000rpm, to 500- 2000 rpm non- stop.

Now I know about vacuum leaks, i know the function of the ICV, and i know about air flow meters (basic operation anyway).

-After taking the car for a cobweb blow- out, (NOT a thrash, but a good run for 15 min) the fluctuation had gone- and on starting, the car would struggle to stay at 400rpm, and then stall mostly.

Tonight with the car cold, it starts fine first pop, but dies instantly. The ICV is doing the normal buzz, but when disconnected it doesnt 'spring' to the open position like i have read they should, instead it stays at the 2-3mm gap same as with engine off and key in 'ON' position (ICV buzzing).

Sorry about the complicated post, but basically MY QUESTION IS:

Should the ICV spring open when disconnected? (non- event indicating shot ICV) could this be the prob?

Edited by nath

Nathan,

I had the same problem, the mechs at BMW soaked the ICV, Checked the AFM and checked for vacuum leaks, also adjusted the throttle cable.

It turned out being the throttle cable (the one that joins to the black thing that says BMW, lol) it was not adjusted properley I guess you could always give that a go, just an idea, because its embarassing stalling in the middle of the st lol.

So then it was all good and i had the car running perfectly after i cleaned out the TPS (crap had seeped down into it) and i got bored and did a service light reset. (annoying INSPECTION light was on) i may have f**ked something over- as i used an 'unfused wire' (paperclip) and probably left it on for too long while i wondered why all the green ligts werent on.

Now the ICV wont buzz, but it works fine in Wills cars. The relays under trhe plastic box beside the airflow meter are also fine. There is voltage enough to the centre pin on the ICV to light a 12V bulb, other 2 i cant test as i dont have a multimeter (yet)

Any ideas what i fried possibly? God I hope its not the ECU!

Argh

Could actually just be the TPS position. There's an atricle on e30net regarding setting that up. If your TPS doesn't register the throttle as being closed your ICV won't function.

E: On that train of though, just as your throttle closes you should hear the TPS click, if it doesn't click then you've upset the TPS setting.

Edited by Carl

I realigned the TPS when i cleaned it, and the click was in the right place. Remoed ECU today and found fried circuit- getting fixed as I type.

I just hope it hasnt gotten to the chip

Edited by nath