Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Tyre Wear

In 18 months Ive gone through a set of Dunlop Sport SP01's and done less than 9000 miles (less than 15000 kms) in them.

That to me sounds a little rough, anyone have an idea on how many miles I should be expecting out of a set of tyres.

Ive only done two 20 metre burnouts in these too :ph34r:

how hard do you drive? any particularly bad/windy roads you drive on often? Pressures and alignment all good? I was getting further than that with shocking camber and toe

In 18 months Ive gone through a set of Dunlop Sport SP01's and done less than 9000 miles (less than 15000 kms) in them.

That to me sounds a little rough, anyone have an idea on how many miles I should be expecting out of a set of tyres.

HAHAHAHA!

I knew a guy that popped a tyre with only one 6 metre burnout

Go figure

You rotate your wheels/ tyres Martyyn ? (front to rear).

Either way, if you peel it off and leave it on the asphalt then is there really any point in trying to establish a ' normal' life span ?

Pressures and alignment all good, lots of up and down hills (it is Wellington after all). I dont hang about when I drive but I dont have the traction control off very much either.

Im just surprised that they have only lasted that long.

Maybe its not that bad after all, I was just expecting closer to 20k kms rather than under 14k.

I cant rotate front to rear Oscar cause they are staggered, 235 on the front 255 on the rear.

Maybe it was only 15 metres then ;)

Edited by martyyn

did you get the fronts done at the same time martyn?What do they look like?.I drive fast (ish) at times but i dont acellerate that hard,from a start.I reckon my fronts would wear out before the rears,and then the outside of the fronts before the rest.I didnt rotate the last set of tyres but if i had i think all four tyres would wear fairly evenly.I have been lead to believe that the "(factory)sports suspension" with more toe (and camber?) makes life hard for the fronts.....

ah man I feel sorry for you thos tyres must cost HEAPS.. lay off the skids and theyll last longer hehe

I was most surprised too to get only 15k from a set of Toyo 235/35 18s on the rear of my E39. Admittedly it was running a little to much neg camber - was only thinking it being time to shift front to rear when I found the rears stuffed. Not even hard driving either - the other 1/2 drives it mostly & she aint a race driver. Obviously the bigger the feet - the more performance orientated they are & at the expense of milage

Paul,

Yes fronts and the same time, they are the same tyre too. Both are at 4mm. Thats about (or just under) half. No undue wear on the insides as you would expect on the e32/e34.

Sam,

We are surrounded by chip road around here, so perhaps thats it.

Bimmerboy,

Dont know if its soft, but it is very quiet and a very good ride.

Jazz,

Id expect two aswell, which was why I was surprised to see them already at 1mm

Mate, I've got that out of my Yoko A048R's and they have just passed another warrant.

Im interested to hear what you think of the Yokies Cain.

Slightly off topic, but if it makes you feel any better Marty, the continentals on our Volvo are screwed after only 19,000kms. Mind you, I'm not expecting much life out of the r compounds on our SE.......as mentioned, these Wellington roads (well at least around our area) are always being fiddled with. It's really not much fun getting stone chips stuck in the discs and having that screeching in your ear :-(

I managed 20k out of my 265/30 rears and 235/35 fronts. That was over a year and I still had legal limit on them. Alot of town driving. I leave traction control on (except on bimmersport meets :ph34r: )

3 pedals if the rotation is relatively frequent does the trye still get "set"

Yes, we haven't tracked the car, even though that was the reason for the race compound tyres. Deb has been driving it so. It won't have been smoking rubber, but she still swings around corners pretty hard.

Martyyn, they are very noisy. Maybe in your double glazed beast, you wouldn't notice. Even the 540 is quote loud.

Check out my dyno run. Hitting the rev limiter at 206kph to give you an idea of speed vs sound

That is all tyre noise. Standard quiet exhuast fitted.

They are excellent up until standing water. Then like driving on ice. No problems at all in the time I've had them.

Awesome tyres (and the reason I got the 3rd fastest stoppie, I'm sure), but not everyones choice of a daily driver tyre.

They are excellent up until standing water. Then like driving on ice. No problems at all in the time I've had them.

I would have though that comment disqualified any tyre for NZ use.....

i understand that Cains comment relates specifically to his tyres.....thanks for your comments on the rotation,the e34 seems to wear the trures relatively evenly front to back,except for the outsides of the fronts...

i understand that Cains comment relates specifically to his tyres.....thanks for your comments on the rotation,the e34 seems to wear the trures relatively evenly front to back,except for the outsides of the fronts...

Do you have a camber problem ? i.e. when did you last have that adjusted ?

Do you have a camber problem ? i.e. when did you last have that adjusted ?

I dont know,as far as i know my car has factory sport suspension and it is set to the correct settings....apparently sport means more toe to give better turn in and "feel" at the expense of shoulder wear and slightly less than perfect feel at straight ahead...in relation to std suspension settings. 3pedals do you know the settings for "sport suspension"

Edited by kiwi535

mine came with the "sport suspension" from germany but wether it has been "aligned" correctly who knows....

The Toyo 235/35 17 directionals on my '94 540 are just over a year old now (bought Nov 2005) and they still look like brand new. Done about 15,000K I think. I drive the car fairly hard most of the time, but not a real thrashing. I haven't turned the traction control off and spun the wheels up or anything like that (that sure does eat rubber quick as), but I am pretty impressed with the wear rate so far. Had no alignment done either. Mind you, I have had them rotated once so far and I drive very tidily through the bends and I use the brake pedal way less than the average driver - I don't tend to brake into tight corners like most people do, instead I stay at a higher (and steady) speeds but keep it tidy too... better tyre wear, better fuel consumption and minimal brake usage means things on my car last - yet I drive faster than your average Joe - and even faster when the missus is not there telling me to slow down all the time.

I'd look at your driving style, and that spinning up will sure cost you.

Paul