Sign in to follow this  
ED1RTY

f**king oil leak

Okay so ive got an oil leak. Cleaned up the area where there was oil and have found its coming from the ? oil pressure sender ? Anyways its the blue thing in the attached pic. Seems to not be sealing properly and the oil is pushing out around the plug. Its made a patch of oil in my shed about the size of a dinner plate over the last week or so. Ive topped up the oil a bit but am just wondering what i will need to fix this problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

post-590-1171414932_thumb.jpg

i bet its that plug on the bottom of the sump, drivers side? i had the same problem, ordered another from bmw, about $40 including gst. Just unplug it and if there is oil in it , probably the problem

Um its coming out of that blue thing in the top left corner of the pic. I think its the oil pressure sender.. is that the same peice that screwed you up?

i bet its that plug on the bottom of the sump, drivers side? i had the same problem, ordered another from bmw, about $40 including gst. Just unplug it and if there is oil in it , probably the problem

And of course that 'plug' at the bottom of the sump will have oil behind it! after all that is how you drain the oil!! :D

Try some tread tape?

Please elaborate. What is this 'tread tape' you speak of?

Very thin strong usually 'white' tape. Used to fix leaking threads. any good hardware store will have it.

Or even better, Have you got any gasket glu? use that on the thread.

Teflon plumbing tape?

Wrap it round the thread and wind back on.

Might work.

Thread tape or locktite liquidy equivilint.

Mitre ten stocks both.

Chris, that is the oil pressure sender unit, they are prone to leaking around where the plastic end is crimped onto the metal body. There is no repair for it. Just replace it, they are not expensive.

The thread that holds it into the block should be a tapered thread, they do not normally leak unless the unit has come loose for some reason. Try tightening it but I wouldn't think it would come loose easily because of the taper. You shouldn't use thread tape on a tapered thread.

I have known that plastic bit to blow out completely so I wouldn't chance a long trip with it in case it does. If it goes, it will empty your sump in a few seconds at the speeds you travel at..

Ollie recently posted about the same problem, he has blown 3 of them recently..

Will

Edited by will

Just buy a new one, it wont be leaking on the thread. Yes it will be the blue plug, as will said they leak through the plug, mine did this.

Yup sweet. Top job guys ill get another one. P.S will all my oil drain out when i unscrew it?

I also have an aftermarket oil pressure guage i want to tee up would this work through this hole? or am i into a mission?

or instead of hooking up another sender can i just splice the oil guage wire into the existing sender?

or instead of hooking up another sender can i just splice the oil guage wire into the existing sender?

No oil will drain out (obviously as long as engine not running). Yes you can use this port to connect extra guage sender - just fit a tee fitting to house both. No you cant use one sender for both - the existing is only a pressure switch (on/off) whereas a guage sender is a variable resistance

im pretty sure it will come out, I did mine and an oil change at the same time

f**k me rung up the stealer. they want 60 +gst for a sec hand one!

Where did you guys go for yours?

Does the 2.5 not have one?

Or go steal that 2.3's one haha

Swapped it over. Didnt want to steal the 325's one. rather keep it all together. Scored one from brent for $20 + having to buy a deep dish 24mm socket, repco didnt have one, got Kokon, $25 not bad for quality!

Have you bought it(the socket) already?I'm pretty sure dad has one in his van.Can grab it on Sunday.

lol i had to buy the socket too, im sure mine was cheap though from bmw..

for the gauge you'll need a tee, thread for factory oil sender is 12x1.5. So obviously you need a tee with male and female threads in that size. From memory the aftermarket sender is 3/8 npt (check on the sender itself though). You wont find a t with these fittings so you'll need some adapters or to tap one or all of the threads so they'll work.

I also had a small leak here because the adapter face wasn't big enough for a washer, bit of thread tape and its all good.

Edited by Mike