Sign in to follow this  
AYB280

Non-gear holding gearbox

Went for a 2 hour drive yeaterday, was about half an hour from home when the gearbox made a whining noise and popped out of 4th. Have found out that I have to hold 3rd and 4th in, but all the other gears are ok. Its an E36 1991 318I manual, any one have a clue whats wrong with it? And how fixable it is? I dont have much of a budget to play around with either.

It should be fixable, but would probably be cheaper to source another box. These gearboxes are not easy to work on and a lot of garages etc won't touch them.

Might be a broken shift fork or a damaged dog or operating sleeve. Difficult to tell without opening the box

Will

99.9 % sure its the selector fork. I repaired a couple of e36 boxes before. Had same problems. I split a couple of boxes already and its a b*tch to work on. Very difficult to open up.

the your selector fork has a sliding spine and it may be worn or loose on the shaft.

I sourced a selector fork from germany and it set me back bout 150 - 200 ish. cant remember. bmw shop will ask for 450 for the fork..

Its not going to be a easy or a cheap job.

I have a box here at the moment that needs a new second gear. i was gona sugest mating the two but the internals vary a bit ae.

Dam, not an easy fix then. This is actually the second box for the car, it had the original replaced about 50,000ks ago, so i went and talked to the people that put it in. They said theyl get back to me on it, so fingers crossed they decide to fix it free of charge.

Easy Diagnosis!

3rd and 4th use the same shift hub, so if you have to hold pressure [both ways] to keep it in gear it mean the main shaft is spreading apart from the input shaft [3rd is on the mainshaft, 4th is on the input] . . . .So you have either collapsed the bearing at the back of the gearbox [causing the mainshaft to float back] or you have collapsed the input shaft bearing [causing the input to float forward]

If the gearbox rumbles in neutral 99% of the time it's the input bearing.

If the gearbox whines in 1st,then the whine gets quieter in 2nd, and even more quieter in 3rd it's usually the rear bearing [the loads are greater on the bearing in first]

Don't be scared of gearboxes, they are simple to fix [compared to engines] I've repaired dozens of boxes [how I broke them is a different story]

e36 hav a problem with their selector forks. i have had 3 e36 boxes here and all the same problem. and although some gearboxes might be easy to work on this one is by far one of the hardests ones to get open. an engine is way easer to work on I reckon.

e36 hav a problem with their selector forks. i have had 3 e36 boxes here and all the same problem. and although some gearboxes might be easy to work on this one is by far one of the hardests ones to get open. an engine is way easer to work on I reckon.

Do you want to 'Lend' me one so I can pull it apart and have a look inside?

they can't be too difficult [they are man-made afterall]

haha nah man im not in the habit of just " lending " manual gear boxes ae. once you atempt to pull one apart wou will see how dificult it is. thats why alot of people dont bother. my spare box is in bits at the moment anyway.

Thanks for the advice, the mechanic got back to me and basically told me to bugger off, so I went in and spoke to them in person, was lucky enough to get the boss guy to review it all, now theyr putting a whole new box in and I only have to pay $300. Could have been a lot worse...

Thats not a bad outcome... Did they say what they thought was wrong with the 'box?

haha nah man im not in the habit of just " lending " manual gear boxes ae. once you atempt to pull one apart wou will see how dificult it is. thats why alot of people dont bother. my spare box is in bits at the moment anyway.

No offence Mate!,

I've played with Toploaders, Muncies, T10's,T5's, Rockets,Dubby's, Jerico's,and Hewlands [plus a few jappas], If you are interested I'd like to pull one apart & fix it at the same time

[maybe do a posting here]

Most gearbags are simple, you need to know their individual traits

thats all!!!

No offence Mate!,

I've played with Toploaders, Muncies, T10's,T5's, Rockets,Dubby's, Jerico's,and Hewlands [plus a few jappas], If you are interested I'd like to pull one apart & fix it at the same time

[maybe do a posting here]

Most gearbags are simple, you need to know their individual traits

thats all!!!

HHAHAHAHAHAH!!! YEAH BRO!! YOUR THE MAN!! GO HARD SUPERSTAR!

work on one then tell me about how your the man

Kerry has probably worked on more gearboxes than you have had sleeps in your life... SUPERSTAR!!

Yeah, the minute I blow one racing, I'll get in touch Kerry, always has to be one around aye.

Apparently the gearbox they bought to replace the old one was being sold because of this very problem, from what they told me it sounds like they replaced something small (brushes? Seals?) and hoped that would work. But it didnt. And I didnt even think to ask if I could have the broken box sorry, was happy enough with the outcome I got. Il give them a call about it and see if they still have it.

Kerry has probably worked on more gearboxes than you have had sleeps in your life... SUPERSTAR!!

You guys dont get the point ae. its not about how many gboxes youve worked on. its about if youve split an e36 box. and the minute he splits a e36 box and fixes it i will start kissing his ass along with the rest of you. I promise :) hahaha

And being only 18 and have fixed a couple of e36 boxes and my dads 32speed (almost 1 tone) gear box isnt too bad ae.

Apparently the gearbox they bought to replace the old one was being sold because of this very problem, from what they told me it sounds like they replaced something small (brushes? Seals?) and hoped that would work. But it didnt. And I didnt even think to ask if I could have the broken box sorry, was happy enough with the outcome I got. Il give them a call about it and see if they still have it.

ah guted. people always try and cut corners wherever they can ae. ohwell at least you got it fixed ae

You guys dont get the point ae. its not about how many gboxes youve worked on. its about if youve split an e36 box. and the minute he splits a e36 box and fixes it i will start kissing his ass along with the rest of you. I promise :) hahaha

And being only 18 and have fixed a couple of e36 boxes and my dads 32speed (almost 1 tone) gear box isnt too bad ae.

so where do I go to pay homage to you... SUPERSTAR!!

Guest Denny Crane

You are a retard.

wtf is a 32speed?

wtf is a 1 tone?

I'm guessing when you reached the fine age of 18 you'd completed, oh maybe 40% of your schooling?

Guest Denny Crane

Kerry actually is the man.

You are a retard.

wtf is a 32speed?

wtf is a 1 tone?

I'm guessing when you reached the fine age of 18 you'd completed, oh maybe 40% of your schooling?

IF you never heard of one then YOURE a retard haha. my dad has a truck and its a 32 speed trans. and one tone means it weighs a f*king tone..

RETARD.....

And you dont know me so dont be talkin to me like that. I completed 100% of schooling with merit and excelence... I have also got qualification in mechanics ... boo yah!

Edited by grinding low bimmer

pity you never learned to spell.

pity you never learned to spell.

didnt know we were all lil goodie good b*ches and that this was a spelling contest