Sign in to follow this  
Katalyst

ISP'S

Alrite sick of telecom bullshitnesssss!

nebody like there isp services

best deal ive seen to far is from sligshot - 25gb max download $49.99

anybody used slingshot before??

i used to with ihug and didnt mind them, but yeah

Orcon seems to have the best server response, so best for gaming, Telstra/Clear for best up/downloads IMO (wellington and some of chch only though)

I'm on ihug since i'm leeching off my neighbours, good plan but average response

BTW: Since ihug is now vodafone you can get the whole phone, mobile, and internet package deal

Edited by Carl

10 mb/s TelstraClear cable. TelstraClear realised speeds weren't as quick as they were, so credited everyone with 10mb/s $10 a month until they sorted it out.. Now fullspeed again :)

Inside knowledge says Telecom Go Large has been a complete failure and they've got 70,000 users to transfer to other plans. You should hear something about it soon.

Telstra Clear is where its at.

Edited by E30stz

Inside knowledge says Telecom Go Large has been a complete failure and they've got 70,000 users to transfer to other plans. You should hear something about it soon.

Inside knowledge? Every man and his dog has known it's been a complete failure haha

oh its official.. yeah they dont have the capacity do deal with it ..

thanks Teresa :(

Edited by E30stz

Now I dislike what Telecom has done to the telecoms market as much as anyone but as 'someone on the inside' I can say that it was pointed out two years ago that the existing infrastructure couldnt handle being opened up and everyone comlained they were just protecting themselves. Also several of the ISP's refused to join up until the upgrade had already started and then tried to hijack it by insisting on totally unrealistic demands.

They open it up and it falls over, just as they said and yet they still get sh!t.

Telecom just cant win.

After saying that Im on Telstra 10Mb and Tane I was getting 20 a month credit :-)

oh its official.. yeah they dont have the capacity do deal with it ..

thanks Teresa :(

You should be thanking all the interdweebs who are downloading pr0n, high-def movies and such like, morning, noon and night. They are the reason it cant handle it.

I struggle to hit 40Gb a month but when an HD movie is 14Gb alone and yo have hundreds of geeks downloading dozens of them a month you get the idea.

I cant say anymore but your 'insider' has it slightly wrong on whats going to happen.

I'm with Telecom and it's free on the fastest plan (work pay for it), so I'm happy.

However, I wouldn't use them as the provider of my choice.

Have a look at the Consumer evaluation of ISP's

but its more complex than that.

After much hand wringing and whining i decided to go with telecom

1) we have three mobiles two of which are charged to our home phone

2) We have sky through telecom

3)I didnt want to change my phone number

4)Telstra would not match telecom price for broadband WITHOUT the phone calls,unless i went for there 10 gig plan which i woudnt even come close to using

5)I We have telecom Go plan which is more than adequate,speed is fine no hassles...

6)My wife has Telstra at her work and they have no end of hassle...she didnt want a bar of them at home.

Having said that whilst i was at paradise.net i had no trouble with them

Dont go large- its crap, only reason i use it is because i contract to t/com and get a discount.

Go orcon??

Now I dislike what Telecom has done to the telecoms market as much as anyone but as 'someone on the inside' I can say that it was pointed out two years ago that the existing infrastructure couldnt handle being opened up and everyone comlained they were just protecting themselves. Also several of the ISP's refused to join up until the upgrade had already started and then tried to hijack it by insisting on totally unrealistic demands.

They open it up and it falls over, just as they said and yet they still get sh!t.

Telecom just cant win.

After saying that Im on Telstra 10Mb and Tane I was getting 20 a month credit :-)

Thats true, but they have been making billions a year since they were privatised so why havn't they upgraded their infrastructure?

Thats true, but they have been making billions a year since they were privatised so why havn't they upgraded their infrastructure?

Youve answered your own question mate, Telecom is a private company. Its their job to make money for their shareholders not give up their infrastructure to their competitors so they can make less !

Can you imagine what McDonald's would say if I said I wanted to start a burger chain but all the best sites are gone and I wanted to sell burgers from their outlets using their grillers and tills etc ?

True but , macs isnt a monopoly.Telecom should have seen this coming and planned for it.

I guess its to be expected when you're shareprice is the only thing you care about.

True but Telecom isnt a monopoly from its own doing, the government created it the moment it sold it off. Forcing a private company to open its doors to all its competitoes is unheard of elsewhere in the world.

I honestly dont like defending them, but you have to have some sympathy for the situation they find themselves in. Damned if they do, damned if they dont.

The fact that they pay my invoice every month has no affect on my opinion :D

I thought Telecom is crediting everyone on Go Large their monthly fee for the last month and a bit?

Anyway, I am on Telecom and I am on Go Large and found that ok. I just have to leave BT or large download to after mid-night. I used to be on iHug 3-4 years back and seems to have little difference (speed-wise) now and then except for the allowance has increased over the years.

Longest wait for ISP tech help is 50 minutes for iHUG, more than 1 hour for Woosh (I gave up after waiting 1 hour) and 25 minutes on Xtra. These times were all after-hours support (after 9pm)

Go large - ok.

and yeah if i owned telecom id be f**ked off with the gov right now.

you should have seen the state of "telecom" when it was first privatised....they have come a HELL of a long way.

Orcon seems to have the best server response, so best for gaming, Telstra/Clear for best up/downloads IMO (wellington and some of chch only though)

I'm on ihug since i'm leeching off my neighbours, good plan but average response

BTW: Since ihug is now vodafone you can get the whole phone, mobile, and internet package deal

Agree'd about Orcon and Paradise [TelstraClear].

But leeching of your neighbours? Are we talking a dirty illegal wireless tapping with your bedroom WIFI booster or a phone cord, or we talking pre arranged appartment stz'?

What sort of Voda deal? Sounds cool.

My decsion was the same as Kiwi535's.

However, as from the middle of this month, I will be 'homeless' - no telephone (other than mobile) and no ISP.

Our houses are networked via cat6 and WiFi and we're planning to run a second Sky decoder too ($25 p/m, how good is that)

hah sweet, even better when you have a neighbour with unsecure wifi.

i have my own internet, but its mint for the laptop :rolleyes: