Sign in to follow this  
bmw.maniac

What are Manual e30s like to drive?

Hey Guys,

Im looking at buying an e30 for my sons run-a-bout. He wants a two door, and a manual, but what are these like to drive? Any recommendations on anything? Opinions Welcome.

Thanks

They are awesome cars. Seriously. If you can find a really good one you will be surprised at the life you will get out of it.

There is a buying guide thread somewhere, just do a search. Tells you things to look out for etc.

How bigger engine is he after? For what you have said so far id reccomend an M325i or if hes a youngin' and just starting out id try go a 318i. Even if you can find a 2 door specced to how you would like it, but it is auto then manual conversions are pretty easy to get at the moment, and not that hard to swap.

Hi, solid forgiving little cars. Serviced regularly should go forever almost. I've got a 318 manual race car, std spec almost, thrashed to the max and still hums, lots of things you can do to make them look the part as well.

rubbish. stupid old cars.

and i love em to pieces (quite literally)

They are awesome cars. Seriously. If you can find a really good one you will be surprised at the life you will get out of it.

There is a buying guide thread somewhere, just do a search. Tells you things to look out for etc.

How bigger engine is he after? For what you have said so far id reccomend an M325i or if hes a youngin' and just starting out id try go a 318i. Even if you can find a 2 door specced to how you would like it, but it is auto then manual conversions are pretty easy to get at the moment, and not that hard to swap.

About how much can you get a M325i for? And how much gas do they use? Cheers

whoa. i would be the happiest chap if my old man bought me a m325i, think 20 is to old now dammit!

$10 000 for a good m325, they are getting hard to get now.

$70 to fill the tank now, i have a 320i and can get over 500km on open road, and about 350 round town.

Ive driven 325s and would love one, but its not my main priority atm and the 320i i have is in pretty decent condition, and yeah gus i love it to bits too!!

Edited by nz320i

About how much can you get a M325i for? And how much gas do they use? Cheers

M325i are really scarce in good condition. You will be lucky to find one under 8K. My standard one gives me around 7.5l/100k on the open road and around 9.5 around town, (driving like a human that is). If I go on a run with any of my 325's (have several, yum.. :P ) and give it hell, consumption has shown on the obc to be around 16-18l/100km.

The M325 is the car to aim for if you want a car that goes and handles well, and the bonus is that, if looked after, will give you years of service and will probably not lose value.

My opinion for what it's worth.. :ph34r:

Will

whoa. i would be the happiest chap if my old man bought me a m325i, think 20 is to old now dammit!

$10 000 for a good m325, they are getting hard to get now.

$70 to fill the tank now, i have a 320i and can get over 500km on open road, and about 350 round town.

Ive driven 325s and would love one, but its not my main priority atm and the 320i i have is in pretty decent condition, and yeah gus i love it to bits too!!

Cam can't wait to get his licence in 7 years time. He loves the ex Gus car.

I haven't actually driven a manual E30 as of yet, But being a youngin myself (16 Y.O Girl) I can advise you about a good car for your son. Depending if hes as young as me and a boy racer or not.

A M325i is an enthusiasts car, and require to be loved, like quite literally. They are becoming hard to get these days in good condition (as previously said) and would you really want a youngin (I am presuming under 18) getting hold of the next best thing to an M3? Personally I wouldn't

To be honest, when you're young you're just starting out. Getting used to how driving works, how to behave on the roads, knowing when to do what etc etc. Having a slower and lower spec car is better. Slow = More rection time to hazards and lower spec = Less to go wrong therfore less to fix, less money. (Hopefully :P)

Im guessing you will be insuring the E30 under your sons name (Its a BAD idea to do it under parents knowing that the son WILL be the main driver) so a 316 Manual will be easier on the wallet for him vs a M325i.

So, In my opinion I would buy my son a 316 or 318 Manual.

I haven't actually driven a manual E30 as of yet, But being a youngin myself (16 Y.O Girl) I can advise you about a good car for your son. Depending if hes as young as me and a boy racer or not.

A M325i is an enthusiasts car, and require to be loved, like quite literally. They are becoming hard to get these days in good condition (as previously said) and would you really want a youngin (I am presuming under 18) getting hold of the next best thing to an M3? Personally I wouldn't

To be honest, when you're young you're just starting out. Getting used to how driving works, how to behave on the roads, knowing when to do what etc etc. Having a slower and lower spec car is better. Slow = More rection time to hazards and lower spec = Less to go wrong therfore less to fix, less money. (Hopefully :P)

Im guessing you will be insuring the E30 under your sons name (Its a BAD idea to do it under parents knowing that the son WILL be the main driver) so a 316 Manual will be easier on the wallet for him vs a M325i.

Very true Em.

or a 320 because the six bangers sound sooo much better. insurance is cheap

If i was old enough to have a son who can drive, i wouldn't buy him a first car that is of a high performance... i would imagine him trashing it around or so and might get in an accident.. and first cars are usually the "practice how to drive cars" but in saying so.. i wouldn't buy him a crapper too...

i remember my first car haha the old teggy b16a vtec .. woah man... gr8 first car (as a driver) but mum told me to sell it as she was scared of it being driven by me.. even though i hvnt crashed it or anything.. just sum minor curbage on da wheels and bumper scrapes ... so i sold it and got my beemer... although its not as grunty as the teggy.. its much more comfortable to drive... shud have went to a 325i but meh... dat will be my next car

Edited by Docile

I've just bought an M325i, I'm 18, and the insurance iiis sliiightly nasty. As I see it they aren't a suitable first car, it's taken a bit of working towards for me to get hold of this one.

My personal opinion would be to go for either a 318 or a 320. The insurance isn't horendous, like Ollie says, and you've got a bit of grunt. I'm qualified to say 316s need a good kick up the arse to go anywhere quickly!

Finding a manual coupe in good condition is another question though..

How much are you willing to pay? There's obviously a huge difference between a tidy 318 and an M325i. A 318, you could get for around 3ish+ k and you definately wouldn't pay under 8-10 k for a tidy M325i.

Just my two/5 cents

I had a 1989 316i manual as my first car. It was mint, insurance was pretty good and it was nice to drive. Only i'd stay away from 316s and get either a 318 or 320 as the 316 are so underpowered!!

But as far as having it for my first car, it was really really good. Had a slight crash in the front left guard (a lady pulled a u turn infront of me) and we hit in the same point on both our cars- she was driving a shitty corolla. I was able to drive off and carry on to school, where as she had to have her car towed away! Was very interesting to see just how worse off her car was -go the sturdy e30!!!

Not true - its perfectly OK for a parent to buy a kid their car and insure it for them as long as the insurance company is informed.

My parents did - the insurance co. new it was my car as far as driving it was concerned, but my parents were the owners and insured it with me named as the main driver - he insurance was more expensive than if they were the main drivers. I still got an insurance history as that company could see I had been the main driver of a car insured by them for x years. Perfectly legit. Its the fraudsters who aren't up front with the insurance co that create all these horror stories about insurance co.s not paying out on kids cars insured by parents.

On topic: Good cars. Drive great. Need routine maintenance or else.

By the sounds of this thread i sold my m325i waaaay too cheap.

Thanks Guys,

A m325i sounds quite expensive, so I would be more happy with a 318i or 320i. If anybody knows of any for sale and are in good condition, pm me.

Cheers

Well I bought my daughter (16 today) a Facelift 318is, 3 door, manual and with 196k's, sports seats, decent alloys etc... I have however left the car in my name and she's driving it as a named driver under my insurance for now. I keep telling her it's still mine...but she's ended up buying her own private plate...so I'm losing that battle!

She's still at school so it's unlikely that she could afford her own insurance.

I chose a 318is because its faster than the 318 and 320, but doesnt drink as much petrol as a 320/325. Being the early 16v engine, you need to get the revs really high to get any decent performance out of it... so at the moment its under utilised.

Plus on top of that it's a BMW, it wont crumple if she gets into a crash and with the 318is you don't see too many of them here in NZ.

My sons 13... he wants a M3 - Yeah Right!

Well I bought my daughter (16 today) a Facelift 318is, 3 door, manual and with 196k's, sports seats, decent alloys etc... I have however left the car in my name and she's driving it as a named driver under my insurance for now. I keep telling her it's still mine...but she's ended up buying her own private plate...so I'm losing that battle!

I chose a 318is because its faster than the 318 and 320, but doesnt drink as much petrol as a 320/325. Being the early 16v engine, you need to get the revs really high to get any decent performance out of it... so at the moment its under utilised.

Plus on top of that it's a BMW, it wont crumple if she gets into a crash and with the 318is you don't see too many of them here in NZ.

How much did you get the 318is for?

Awww I hope she paid for it herself! I've got full insurance and i manage to fork out the $650 it burns me a year....

I've owned a 1988 318i manual two door saloon, and absolutely loved it- insurance wasn't too restrictive- I was 19 with a good no claims bonus when I had it. Really fun to drive, and you learn about how to handle a car- I had no power steering in mine. So much in fact, that I've just bought another- four door and two years newer this time, pics soon guys!

316's and 318's are the sensible option..

however, My first car was a 350HP VR-4 and I never stacked it......

It depends on the person, is your son responsible and sensible??????

Im on my 3rd Manual E30. Had a 325i 4DR facelift, 320i pre-facelift

and now on my favourite of the lot 325i Coupe pre-facelift with LSD.

Once you drive one, it stays in your blood. They are very fun cars and the

M20 (Inline 6) is a awesome sounding motor!!

Spend the time and money and hunt for a good one. My current one has taken

alot of time and effort (not to mention money) to bring back upto mechanical happiness

but it only cost little over $3000. It still needs more, but damn, she a fun car!!!

My 2 Cents