Sign in to follow this  
B.AMAZD

Angel Eyes e36!!

Are angel eyes hard to install for e36 bmws? the DIY one. not with the whole headlights. and is it better to buy just the angel eyes kit (4 CCFl rings, 2 ballasts, installation guide.) rather than the whole projector headlight kit to save money :D:D Thanks.

Not hard. The most you'd have to do is tap into a few wires, and silicone the rings to the headlight glass. I think it looks better, too.

Not hard. The most you'd have to do is tap into a few wires, and silicone the rings to the headlight glass. I think it looks better, too.

oh true bro. its not that complicated? im thinkin about buying one on trade me aye.. the 150dollar one. hahaha. rather than the 350bux one...

Haven't done it myself actually :) But my friend has and there are lots of resources on it... basically you tap into the wires for your city lights, so they come on on the first turn of the lighting switch. The $150 ones seems to be the taiwanese one, the $350 seems to be from Umnitza. $350 one should be better quality, but you pay to play. Apparently the taiwanese ones are great for the money but the ballasts/inverters burn out after a while, while the $350 ones are more durable.

Haven't done it myself actually :) But my friend has and there are lots of resources on it... basically you tap into the wires for your city lights, so they come on on the first turn of the lighting switch. The $150 ones seems to be the taiwanese one, the $350 seems to be from Umnitza. $350 one should be better quality, but you pay to play. Apparently the taiwanese ones are great for the money but the ballasts/inverters burn out after a while, while the $350 ones are more durable.

true.. il give it a shot! :D i dont have that much money atm HAHAHA! so yeah thanks anyway! il try buy some tomorow and if i got anyprobs installin it. il post back :D HHAHA wish me luck!

true.. il give it a shot! :D i dont have that much money atm HAHAHA! so yeah thanks anyway! il try buy some tomorow and if i got anyprobs installin it. il post back :D HHAHA wish me luck!

Good luck, and get some pics! I'd like to see how they look :)

lol yeah im thinking of getting some aswell when i have some spare cash lol

guys ... honestly stay away from cheap and nasty kits that are cheap, you cant get replacement ballasts unless you buy another kit.

With the ones I have, they are guaranteed to last.

I started off with budget ones from Ebay and they lasted 6 months and then needed replacing.

D4MSXC .... you saw one off my cars last night, what did you think?

Cheap ones rust as well around the points where the halo taps into a wire going to the ballast.

Install with my kits are installed by a technician who has worked with BMW South Africa, Easy Bay BMW in California and now Team Mcmillan (22 years, started on the E21) - your install will be primo.

Thin lines are available too.

post-1554-1173993896_thumb.jpg

Stay away from the sh*t ones - get the ones from our supplier eurovogue.co.nz

They are the Umnitza ones and i'm sure he will work you a deal.

Only if your car has a bimmersport sticker on it....

yeah i was about to buy it. but i changed my mind. haha! yeah im plannin to buy some now. Saving up for angel eyes.. bro adrian, your car is bad bro. lovin it aye. il text you if im guna buy the angel eyes alright. cheers guys! :D

I bought the $369 ones of Trade Me, the one piece ones with clear indicators etc. I found that they were relatively easy to fit, had to wire and crimp the ring wires to the park light wires. The bit that took the longest was having to re-align the headlights so that they sat evenly. The rings are not that bright during the day as they seem to be a fluorescent ring, but they update the look of the car.

found this link handy

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/electrica...headlights.html

here is a pic of the lights - look heaps better when it is darker though

post-1835-1174794984_thumb.jpg

I bought the $369 ones of Trade Me, the one piece ones with clear indicators etc. I found that they were relatively easy to fit, had to wire and crimp the ring wires to the park light wires. The bit that took the longest was having to re-align the headlights so that they sat evenly. The rings are not that bright during the day as they seem to be a fluorescent ring, but they update the look of the car.

found this link handy

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/electrica...headlights.html

here is a pic of the lights - look heaps better when it is darker though

Everyone has different opinions and desires when it comes to which angel eyes to buy .. IMO these dont look OEM, look more "Hondarish" and cant use the auto leveling effectively from the steering column. at dusk you can see the patchy halo ring.... thats just my opinion

post-1554-1174795856_thumb.jpg

post-1554-1174795875_thumb.jpg

post-1554-1174795903_thumb.jpg

Everyone has different opinions and desires when it comes to which angel eyes to buy .. IMO these dont look OEM, look more "Hondarish" and cant use the auto leveling effectively from the steering column. at dusk you can see the patchy halo ring.... thats just my opinion

yeah I agree they do not look OEM, but then again I didn't really want them too. I like the look of them, and my E36 doesn't have the auto levelling.I Just wanted something that was a bit different to everyone else, I guess I achieved that.

It also lets some of the other members get an idea of what the different options look like, and then they can make up their own minds.

Edited by zenetti

I am also looking at the different options with regards to angel eyes, I want to fit some on my new E36 325I coupe :D!

So far I think the best look is keeping the original lights and adding the halo kit (like the ones supplied from eurovogue.co.nz), they are pretty expensive but I think it keeps the right look.

If you want to go down the very cheap route and you are quite the DIY person here is a cool video I found on making your own angel eyes.

DIY Angel Eyes

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=98...l+eye&hl=en

Here is a cool link I found on installing them, hope it helps.

http://www.apexcone.com/JimPowellHomepage/...enIVInstall.htm

Edited by crazyarab

I am also looking at the different options with regards to angel eyes, I want to fit some on my new E36 325I coupe :D!

So far I think the best look is keeping the original lights and adding the halo kit (like the ones supplied from eurovogue.co.nz), they are pretty expensive but I think it keeps the right look.

If you want to go down the very cheap route and you are quite the DIY person here is a cool video I found on making your own angel eyes.

DIY Angel Eyes

oh sick, looks like its pretty hard though!!

DIY Angel Eyes

What are talking about .. expensive? Their on trademe at the moment with a reserve less than $200 - these have got to go for newer models

What are talking about .. expensive? Their on trademe at the moment with a reserve less than $200 - these have got to go for newer models

Well I am not sure if I am searching correctly but I have not seen any for less than $300...

I recently, just last week actually installed some on my e36 coupe. i bought mine from cpa in the hutt, and while more expensive, they look incredible, and i have a guarantee with them! taking the old ones out, as it was my first time was a nightmare - then after a quick search on the net found there was a damn retaining clip holding the indicator in!! after finding this out the 2nd one came out in less than 5mins. the new ones as they are one piece units were a bit fiddly to get in, but i got there in the end and again the 2nd one was alot easier! they have changed the appearance of the car completely, and at night the halos look wikid! i've wird mine into the park lights, so at first turn on the lights they come on. a well recomended mod imo, they def update the look! i will post some pics in the next day or two - the car is going into jeff gray for new fanbelts tomorrow - so when i get it back i'll take some pics and post!

Put a bid of $200 on it, it will meet reserve

cool, I guess I will wait and find out ;D

I just purchased a set of CCFL halos from trademe:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...1194771.htm?p=2

Hopefully they arrive soon, I will post once i get them installed.

DIY Angel eyes attempt:

I attempted making a "DIY angel eye" from that vid i posted earlier.

I could not find anywhere that sells the blind replacement wand which is used for the plastic halo, I did however manage to find a good alternative at Bunnings / Mitre10, its the clear curtain controller wands they sell. Instead of using the mini dremel grinder, I dug out my old hack saw I made in high school and with a new blade it was just as good if not better (yes it was not as quick but saved me $150 buying a dremel).

Anyhow It was actually very easy and turned out great, only problem was that the SUPER BRIGHT LED's cost like $12 each from dick smith (I wanted the brightest they had), multiply that by 8 and thats like $96, the wands cost like $6 each and you need at least 2 plus a few wires, nail polish, tape etc etc and you have quickly reached well over $100.

I figured I would save myself the hassle pay a wee bit more and just buy the ones off trademe :). But yeh, it was a pretty fun wee project and I must say it turned out pretty awesome ( I will post some pics when I take some).

Next step, eye lids :D!

Edited by crazyarab

ah .... the Made in taiwan model.

I had these 2-3 years ago, their not UV coated which means they will rust also at the tips, your ballasts will shoot then selves too.

I just purchased a set of CCFL halos from trademe:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...1194771.htm?p=2

Hopefully they arrive soon, I will post once i get them installed.

DIY Angel eyes attempt:

I attempted making a "DIY angel eye" from that vid i posted earlier.

I could not find anywhere that sells the blind replacement wand which is used for the plastic halo, I did however manage to find a good alternative at Bunnings / Mitre10, its the clear curtain controller wands they sell. Instead of using the mini dremel grinder, I dug out my old hack saw I made in high school and with a new blade it was just as good if not better (yes it was not as quick but saved me $150 buying a dremel).

Anyhow It was actually very easy and turned out great, only problem was that the SUPER BRIGHT LED's cost like $12 each from dick smith (I wanted the brightest they had), multiply that by 8 and thats like $96, the wands cost like $6 each and you need at least 2 plus a few wires, nail polish, tape etc etc and you have quickly reached well over $100.

I figured I would save myself the hassle pay a wee bit more and just buy the ones off trademe :). But yeh, it was a pretty fun wee project and I must say it turned out pretty awesome ( I will post some pics when I take some).

Next step, eye lids :D!