Sign in to follow this  
walker

Slushbox probs

The auto box in my e36 320i is screwing with me.

I know they all have a sharp cold first to second change, but mine is now holding that first.

It kinda tries to change into second but holds itself in no-gear-land for a few seconds, then drops into second.

It used to be a mint gearbox a few days ago, now all of sudden its doing this.

Where is somewhere cheap that I can take it to get looked at in Christchurch?

Or are there any diy jobs I can do to fix this?

Or is there someone on here in Christchurch that knows a bit about slushboxes that could come check it out?

Doesn't seem right to me that it was fine a week ago, and suddenly, without me actually doing anything to it, its not.

Cheers

I don't know much about that in detail but couple of questions that might help someone else give you a more accurate description of your problem.

Is there any warning light on the dash? (particularly the one shape of a cog with "!" inside it)

Is there any oil leak?

Does it behave better when cold or warm or the same?

i have a good jatco box comming out of my car soon .

replacing it with a manual

hey

back in my auto days- aceoautomatic are the place to go here in chch. pretty sure they do a free road test.

I don't know much about that in detail but couple of questions that might help someone else give you a more accurate description of your problem.

Is there any warning light on the dash? (particularly the one shape of a cog with "!" inside it)

Is there any oil leak?

Does it behave better when cold or warm or the same?

No light on dash, so I'm going to guess it ain't electrical.

No oil leak.

It is the jatco box so it has always been a bit sharp when cold, but now it is really bad and tends to be shite regardless of temperature.

i have a good jatco box coming out of my car soon .

replacing it with manual

How much would you be wanting for this box and would it be all good to bolt up to the m52 1997 320i?

And is it a big job? I've worked on nissans a fair bit, engine and trans wise, but never anything this new.

Could I diy it without too much trouble?

hey

back in my auto days - aceoautomatic are the place to go here in chch. pretty sure they do a free road test.

I firstly took it to the independent bmw guys on brisbane st, near sydenham. Guy took it for a road test and told me not to worry about it unless it gets significantly worse. Wasn't so keen on that idea so went to aceoautomatics for a second opinion.

I took it to them on friday. Guy took it for a road test and said yeah there was a problem, wants to take it apart on Thursday and see if rebuild is required.

Seems bloody odd to me that it only does it in first - second gear change.

It just sits there, like if I wanted to replicate it in a car with a mint auto box, put it in drive, hit say 3500rpm, remove foot almost all the way from gas, put box in neutral for one second so it revs a bit, then put back in drive so it changes to second (softly(ish)).

Its just bloody weird.

At the moment I am driving in "winter" mode on the box, to avoid that first gear.

Cheers for the help guys.

I've got the exact same model as yours and my auto is similar, when you're at a stop and you take off it seems to wait until it gets to the highest rev then suddenly changes to second and the whole car jerks. Doesnt happen on hills though, only on flats. Anyone else's auto do this?

i have a good jatco box coming out of my car soon .

replacing it with manual

How much would you be wanting for this box and would it be all good to bolt up to the m52 1997 320i?

And is it a big job? I've worked on nissans a fair bit, engine and trans wise, but never anything this new.

Could I diy it without too much trouble?

easy to swap . tight inside the tunnel .

should be ok to go up to M52 . just need to check plug/pins etc .

$500 plus fr8.

I've got the exact same model as yours and my auto is similar, when you're at a stop and you take off it seems to wait until it gets to the highest rev then suddenly changes to second and the whole car jerks. Doesnt happen on hills though, only on flats. Anyone else's auto do this?

What you are describing is what they all do mate.

It should be really bad when cold, but when it warms up a bit it should get a fair bit smoother.

My problem is a bit more scary I'm afraid.

Brent HARTGE535i - I have the car booked in to aceoautomatics for Thursday, dependant on what they tell me, I could be keen.

Cheers

I went to aceoautomatics on Thursday. They took it for a road test and saw the problem.

They then reset the auto computer so it would re-learn or something. Apparently this is a thing that happens occasionally.

And now its all good.

Cost $90 ($45 labour + $50 tool).

Thanks for your guys help.

Cheers

What you are describing is what they all do mate.

It should be really bad when cold, but when it warms up a bit it should get a fair bit smoother.

My problem is a bit more scary I'm afraid.

Brent HARTGE535i - I have the car booked in to aceoautomatics for Thursday, dependant on what they tell me, I could be keen.

Cheers

Heya, has the problem come back or is it all good now? mine does the same thing, also a 1997 320i like yours.

Mine does the exact same thing - except 323 - and does it in between 2nd/3rd.

Everyone has been telling me new auto box.

Mine does the exact same thing - except 323 - and does it in between 2nd/3rd.

Everyone has been telling me to do a manual conversion.