Sign in to follow this  
ecko_complex

E36 M3 Turbo

The way the injectors are at the moment is definably temporary. When I get the cash injectors/ecu will be the first on my list. As for the ECU, MicroTech has been recommended so I'll probably go with that.

Seriously I wouldnt run it without proper fuel control. Leaning out is an easy killer of turbo'd engines and just adding some extra injectors is going to make it very hard to get safe air/fuel ratio's.

If money is an issue then definately consider the TSI piggyback, they have been pretty successfull in the states with them on these engines. But I definately recommend sorting out injectors and ecu before you try getting some power out of it. Dont put your engine in serious risk just because you want it now, save for it and do it right or you might lose everything.

I started typing out some massive reply as to why this whole thing is going to go bang ... but I cant be bothered.

We here just ran some injection calculations on what your trying to do .. and your going to be leaning out to say the least with no fuel control.

The computer will be adding fuel based on RPM/Boost, I don't really see how this will run lean. If you know something I don't then please share ^_^.

The computer will be adding fuel based on RPM/Boost, I don't really see how this will run lean. If you know something I don't then please share ^_^.

So you are replacing the ECU?

The stock ECU is not mapped for boost and wont give you the fuel you need for this setup.

No we are not replacing the ECU, we are running another computer that will deal with the injectors and the extra fuel needed.

cool bro .. think thats what the main concern was ..

Hence the option running a piggy back module on top of the standard ECU.

Here is a link to an s50b32 m-coupe turbo running the TSI piggy back (its not a full ECU) and quite succesfully.

http://www.bavariacars.com.au/article/?id=37

enjoy

The MCoupe Turbo down by my work is running a link computer with vanos control. I will be using it with my project.

The MCoupe Turbo down by my work is running a link computer with vanos control. I will be using it with my project.

What ECU model are they running ... When we talked to link earlier this year they said they couldnt control vanos just yet but are "working on it" They can control toyotas version and hondas on / off vtec systems.

Link used my uncles Evo 9 (Evo 9 being the only one Evo with MIVEC, Continuously controlled) to base their plug-in engine management on.. So they do have the 'technology' to do so. Try asking them again, and mention the black Mcoupe turbo.

Mmmmm a worthy project! lots a fuel & proper tuning + plenty of boost will test the chassis!

subscribed...

Link used my uncles Evo 9 (Evo 9 being the only one Evo with MIVEC, Continuously controlled) to base their plug-in engine management on.. So they do have the 'technology' to do so. Try asking them again, and mention the black Mcoupe turbo.

I beleive that M Coupe Turbo is the test car for Link for getting Vanos properley working. We approached them earlier this year and they said they were working on getting Vanos working, so i guess they finally have :)

A quick look at the Link website and it says that vanos for the S50B32 is now supported as of 20/07/2007....which would mean it supports all S50's with Dual Vanos and I'm sure would be probably be able to control any vanos system now. They even have the wiring diagram for the S50-B32 :D

So you guys would recommend Link? My car is s50b30 btw.

Edited by ecko_complex

They (link) have done the hard yards for you and a proper stand alone engine management system is worth its weight in gold...go for it :)

A link g3 plus will be the best bang for your buck it seems... The link ECU by the looks of it seems to be a bit quicker in clock cycles than say your autronics or motec. Yes it will control your s50b3x no problems ...

What you need to ask yourself when doing this project is what is your end goal, and what is your budget. Form a plan from those anwsers and work out what products will give you what options for your budget. This will give you the awnsers your looking for with your ECU.

But generally from what your asking a Link g3 plus should be more than enough for what you need.

I would like to start lowering the compression ratio and get forged pistons but it in an ever-day driver (even though I only drive every second day) I don't want it to be a peak-hp car.

How much does the link ECU go for? I could probably afford to order one next week...

I would like to start lowering the compression ratio and get forged pistons but it in an ever-day driver (even though I only drive every second day) I don't want it to be a peak-hp car.

How much does the link ECU go for? I could probably afford to order one next week...

Leave it the stock compression ratio for best driveability.

Ditch your extra injector setup and do it right once with the Link - injectors aren't expensive.

looking around $2200 but email link yourself ... they are a friendly bunch.

Hey guys, got some new pics:

BOV hooked up (but not connected):

Posted Image

Turbo with heat protection:

Posted Image

Front of the turbo/intake:

Posted Image

Manifold heat protection:

Posted Image

We're looking at it all being finished by the weekend, with next week everything being checked over before I get it back :wub:

at 11.? stock compression ratio you will need to keep the boost down low otherwise "blown head gasket" and "melted piston" will become commonly used words in your vocabulary! ;)

With proper tuning the c/r and pistons won't be an issue even at quite wicked power levels as it wont take a lot of boost to make the power...aren't those engines endowed with forged rods & pistons from birth anyway?

Edited by madandy

Running higher boost at that compression ratio he will be detonating. Melting the tops of pistons will happen over time and alot of the time you wont know its happening until its too late, at this time the damage is done.

One of the only ways around it is running a methonol setup or lower the compression by either a thicker MLS head gasket (not really recommended) or putting in forged atleast 9.0:1 or lower ratio pistons.

Simple facts. He can expect around roughly 100hp gain at 8psi on the s50 setup.

The lower the compression ratio the worst the mid / lower range torque curve is, but the more you can boost it, but need really solid fuel control and qaulity components to keep things under control.

Its all about finding a balance for what you are actually wanting from the vehicle.

At one end you have high HP dyno queens with a very narrow band of actual power and the other mild HP increases but keeping the engines characteristics ... which for the race breed s50 can be more important than other engines. One good thing is the s50 runs as standard oil squirters which help cool things down a small amount.

just an example of what we are doing.

We are going for a s50b32 @ 8;5.1 ratio with capibilty to run upto 2.5 bar with no issues. with an engine capible of running up to 1000bhp.

For this we are running fully forged internals, nitrided crank, ARP head studs / bolts looking into pyrimid rings (may or may not do this) and running a fully custom fuel system and injector setup / fuel rail. (basic outline of things)

I realise a filthy old M10 is completely different to an S50 but I still noticed a significant power loss with a thicker MLS gasket without the boost to make up for it.

As I've said, it's only running very low boost with the current setup. We're talking 5-6psi on a cold day. Once I get the right injector/ECU setup it will run 7-8psi which will be a good balance. If I ruin the stock compression ratio then it will ruin the whole effect of the car, it pulls hard in 5th at 50kmh which is what I will be driving at 90% of the time anyway (honestly :ph34r:). Maybe when I can afford an e46 m3 I'll make the e36 into a monster hp car :D.

With the Link ECU, does it plug straight in or do you need to buy all their sensors? The Microtech one "plugs" straight in, and the guy that had a large input into its design will do the tuning.

As for the cost of things so far, it has been about 10k in kit and 2k in labour. I'll find out if it's all worth it next week...