Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Multi Functional Steering upgrade

Right so gearing up for my full nav install with TV module and ipod video, I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade from the standard e46 rubber wheel to a pleather m-sport MF steering wheel.

Ill do this is a two part series.

The kit you need to do this is:

e46 MF Steering Retro fit kit

65 71 0 021 159

This kit is made up of the following:

Part number Description Supplement Quantity

01 29 0 017 969 Stick-on label EBA-AUFKL. GELB 1

12 52 7 510 671 Jack mlk 0,25-0,5 MM?/AG 1

61 12 0 016 012 Retrofit cable set, speed control 1

61 13 0 005 201 Bushing contact 0,2-0,5 MM? 1

61 13 1 367 599 Cable strap L=200MM/B=3,6MM 10

61 13 1 379 833 Shrinking hose 1

61 13 8 353 746 Cable connector 0.2-0.5 MM? 1

61 31 6 949 754 Cover cap,sports strng whl multifunction 1

61 31 8 386 947 Connecting line, steering wheel 1

01 29 0 023 076 Installation instructions 1

I managed to come into a e39/e46 MF steering wheel and air bag unit for about $500 so that was the main expense out of the road.

If your have/buy the steering wheel (ebay) and airbag unit (ebay) to complete the conversion you only need the following parts

Part number Description Supplement Quantity

12 52 7 510 671 Jack mlk 0,25-0,5 MM?/AG 1 - For M47 Engine e46 only not needed for m54bxx

61 12 0 016 012 Retrofit cable set, speed control 1

61 13 8 353 746 Cable connector 0.2-0.5 MM? 1

61 31 8 386 947 Connecting line, steering wheel 1 - Only needed if this didnt come with the steering wheel

01 29 0 023 076 Installation instructions 1 - Not needed :) Will upload these later

I'm getting the Walnut horribleness painted matt black to match the plastic surrounding controller buttons. Im told it will look pretty close :)

Here are the pictures of everything.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

to be continued ...

So .. decided to finish off the MF steering wheel this afternoon.

Took about 3 hours as we had to translate / guess swedish instructions. But brendon and I now think we can knock it out in about 30-45mins.

I had some fun testing out cruise control up towards silverdale this afternoon, I spotted a fellow bimmersporter with a silver e36 with black / polished dish wheels. nice ride who ever it was ...

This install will fit both e39 and e46 and I'm 99% sure x5 as well :)

e46 LCM computer and steering pulled apart. Routing the retro-fit speed control loom.

Posted Image

DME speed control wiring.

Posted Image

Fuse box behind the glove box, this is where we enter the engine bay.

Posted Image

More shots of the DME wiring in the engine bay.

Posted Image

Finished, you can also see how the painting of the walnut cover piece turned out. :) factory black ftw :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Testing out the cruise control system, nnote the new green light that shows up on the dash to tell you the system is active.

Posted Image

Volume control test :)

Posted Image

Radio station / ipod controls

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a sneak preview at the next electical DIY we made a start on today ;)

Full NZ maps / NAV / TV / Pro Radio retro fit with 16:9 OEM display with ipod video.

Posted Image

i realise you've already done this but if anyone else needs the english instructions, here they are.

i have numerous other retrofit instructions also -just ask

e46_MFL2.pdf

how do the part numbers relate into RHD for us in NZ.

surely these part numbers would be for LHD or not?

Their appears to be one function missing the air re cycle button or do you lose that function when going from the four spoke to the sport wheel?

Cheers Allan

Im not sure, I only had the horrible rubber standard steering wheel. I have since found out mine is a X5 4.8is steering wheel :) not the 5 series MS steering wheel as it was sold to me. I fine it a lot more elegant than the MSport MF ones anyways.

Im not sure the 3 series came with that on the MF steering. Could be a 5 series option only ?

Their appears to be one function missing the air re cycle button or do you lose that function when going from the four spoke to the sport wheel?

Cheers Allan

The Air R/C button is not on all steering wheels

Some wheels replace it with a steering wheel heater button

The Air R/C button is not on all steering wheels

Some wheels replace it with a steering wheel heater button

Looks like some of the pics have been removed, any chance of getting them back up?

Im about to commence this today so will see how I go. I am hoping that is prewired.

Tim

I would like to add this to mine now as well, What sort of price would i be looking at for the retrofit. Its just the upgrade to the multi function steering wheel.

This is the wheel i have that i want to upgrade.

Posted Image

Got a price on the full retrofit kit, Was $367 so i am going to do it in a few weeks time, Was it very hard to route what needs to be routed through to the left hand side ??.

Its not hard to "route" Jase... you should know that ? or does the missus need a visit ?

Got a price on the full retrofit kit, Was $367 so i am going to do it in a few weeks time, Was it very hard to route what needs to be routed through to the left hand side ??.

Nah its easy enough, grab yourself a old wire coat hanger or similar and tape any wires to it and pull it through the grommit.

This from e46 fanatics to help with the pictures situation.

Having done so we need now to take off the black plug in which we will install the last pin connector of our harness. It is the second one from left ot right, but in order to remove it we need to remove also the first one. If we take a close look at the plug we will see that it ia actually a holder that holds 2 smaller plugs inside it. In order to install the pin connector we need ti take it apart (as shown in pics )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We put the pin connector in pin 27 and put everything back together.

NOTE: in order to run the cable from the light switch to the control unit we pass it through an opening in the firewall located 20-30cm behind the small glove compartment.

THATS IT!!!!!!!!

The rest is just the reverse of the above procedure.

NOTE: when we put the steering wheel back together we should not forget to install the small cable that connects the buttons to the slip ring

Posted Image

here is a photo of the project finished

Posted Image

and here is a photo with cruise control light on :) :) :)

Posted Image

I hope this first post of mine in this forum to be helpfull !!!!!!

Nah its easy enough, grab yourself a old wire coat hanger or similar and tape any wires to it and pull it through the grommit.

This from e46 fanatics to help with the pictures situation.

I'm trying to work out whats going on here. I have a 330i MS with no steering wheel controls. If this upgrade enables cruise control and stereo control I would be very keen on doing the same. Is this whats going on?

Is this whats going on?

sure is. As well as phone controls if you were to put a OEM BMW or parrot -> e46 BlueTooth kit in

Thats one of the main reasons i am doing it. What i ment by the route though the left hand side i ment from the steering wheel though to the left hand side, Does it just go behind the ac unit ??

Its not hard to "route" Jase... you should know that ? or does the missus need a visit ?

Hahahahah, Awwwww Glenn mate what did you think i had to do while bs was down B):P

I notice in the instructions posted by "dogsballs" that the retrofit kit(s) appear to be for the wiring etc plus the switches and covers to convert your existing steering wheel. What was in the full retro kit you priced at $367?

I notice in the instructions posted by "dogsballs" that the retrofit kit(s) appear to be for the wiring etc plus the switches and covers to convert your existing steering wheel. What was in the full retro kit you priced at $367?

I asked the parts guy that exact same question and he told me it had every thing needed in it to do the conversion, I was worried i was going to fork out and just get the switch panel and nothing else or just a bunch of wires but he assured me it contained everything. Going to be a few weeks before i have enough $$ to order it but it is the next thing i want to do.

Edited by M-Spec

I asked the parts guy that exact same question and he told me it had every thing needed in it to do the conversion, I was worried i was going to fork out and just get the switch panel and nothing else or just a bunch of wires but he assured me it contained everything. Going to be a few weeks before i have enough $$ to order it but it is the next thing i want to do.

I just searched the part numbers in dogsballs instructions Link the 2 kits are priced at US$165 and US$459. The cheaper kit has more parts listed. The more expensive one has less parts and appears to include the "hub cap, air bag"". No mention of switches in either. Looks promising though so I'll be calling my parts man Monday to see whats what.

I just searched the part numbers in dogsballs instructions Link the 2 kits are priced at US$165 and US$459. The cheaper kit has more parts listed. The more expensive one has less parts and appears to include the "hub cap, air bag"". No mention of switches in either. Looks promising though so I'll be calling my parts man Monday to see whats what.

Yup there are two part numbers, If you have the three spoke wheel like me you need the kit 65 71 0 021 159 , This kit induces everything you need to do the job.

The other number is 65 71 0 026 223 which is if you have the 4 spoke wheel and the most expensive of the kit as it includes the complete steering wheel. That kits is around the $930 mark.

Steering wheel is extra. I only had the rubber standard one which I had to purchase a whole new wheel. Managed to get mine for $550 brand new but that was a deal of the century at the time.

If you have a MS steering wheel with non MF then all you need is the cover with controls. If you need the whole wheel then get ready to bend over.

Check german ebay.

Also note that the MS 5 series MF steering wheel, x5 4.8is steering steering will also work as will the e46 wiring retro fit into it. Despite what BMW parts division will say ;)

Steering wheel is extra. I only had the rubber standard one which I had to purchase a whole new wheel. Managed to get mine for $550 brand new but that was a deal of the century at the time.

If you have a MS steering wheel with non MF then all you need is the cover with controls. If you need the whole wheel then get ready to bend over.

Check german ebay.

Also note that the MS 5 series MF steering wheel, x5 4.8is steering steering will also work as will the e46 wiring retro fit into it. Despite what BMW parts division will say ;)

Awesome - that will be the way for me then - looking at this got me thinking about some smg paddles to hook up the same time - have been searching the forums - very easy wire up it would appear but all based around an smg wheel - does anyone know if you can retro fit paddles/switches to a standard MS wheel?

Awesome - that will be the way for me then - looking at this got me thinking about some smg paddles to hook up the same time - have been searching the forums - very easy wire up it would appear but all based around an smg wheel - does anyone know if you can retro fit paddles/switches to a standard MS wheel?

Fitted my multi function kit this weekend - works well - now I would like to know the best way to purchase and fit a mobile phone interface that will function as per the BMW system (steering wheel controls, mike, voice dial, phone book display on the head unit etc) - advice please

Fitted my multi function kit this weekend - works well - now I would like to know the best way to purchase and fit a mobile phone interface that will function as per the BMW system (steering wheel controls, mike, voice dial, phone book display on the head unit etc) - advice please

Present :)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=720922

Supports all new phones ... BMW BT unit only supports upto BT1.2 which most modern phones just done support anymore.