Tyre contacting guard

Guest Simon*

1. Purchase six-pack of cheap beer

2. Take aforementioned beer and drive to local tyre shop

3. Offer beer in exchange for whipping a wheel off and checking fitment for you

4. Drive home - carefully!

5. Post results below

:)

The car is at a tyre shop currently to have a swaybar link replaced - but they can't get the wheels off either. Neither can any of the other half dozen shops I've been to, except a couple who suggested smashing the nuts off.

Guest Simon*

The car is at a tyre shop currently to have a swaybar link replaced - but they can't get the wheels off either. Neither can any of the other half dozen shops I've been to, except a couple who suggested smashing the nuts off.

OK so we're not talking about a locknut key here but a sleeve the right size to get in at the nuts - presumably because of the design of the wheels?

Guest Spottswoode

I had to use a cold chisel on mine. Go go slowly and carefully!

HAHA - your nickname is not Bunsen Honeydew by any chance is it? :lol:

We can guess all we like about the likely cause of the problem but until all the info is given to us I guess it is like picking at straws. The wheels may be off a 7 series, but I am also thinking that the tyres may be too tall. We will just have to wait until Mike gives us the correct info and then we can accurately diagnose the problem. You are 100% correct in saying that changing tyres to a smaller diameter is not the right fix.

Yep you're right, looking again at the pics of Mikes car the wall of the tyre looks bigger than mine was so am picking at least 50 profile which would make the rolling diameter too large hence combined with the lesser wheel offset would explain the extra bad rubbing.

OK so we're not talking about a locknut key here but a sleeve the right size to get in at the nuts - presumably because of the design of the wheels?

We're talking about a locknut key. The design is like a large torx socket, but with a lot more points.

Edited by Mike.Gayner

Guest Simon*

We're talking about a locknut key. The design is like a large torx socket, but with a lot more points.

Yeah I know the ones - I have the same or similar

And none of these tyre places can help? That's surprising

Are you talking all the nuts, or one locknut on each rim? I used a socket one size to small on the nut and hit it on with a hammer, so the sharp edges bit into the nut and then just wound them off. Worked a treat.

They sound like BMW ones. If you can get one off without damaging it there is a number on the end of the stud - ring up BMW and order that number locknut key. $15 from the stealer from memory.

The previous owner should have it though.

If you are near a BMW dealership they should have a full set to try until they get the right one.

These are mine ... (OEM lock bolts and socket)

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think the best thing is if he gets out his digital camera and takes a bunch of photos and posts them here.. otherwise we are all guessing.

Thanks guys the owner has tracked down the nut. I will take it in to the workshop and have them get the answers to your questions. Ta.

Guest Spottswoode

credit where credit is due, both a helpful and insightful post, 3pedals :thumb

Just picked up the car from the shop - fixed the swaybar link that was causing the front end knock, which is great. The technician says that the tyres are not in fact rubbing the guards, rather the excessive wear was caused by an extreme toe angle, which was fixed with an alignment. He does however agree that the wheels are too wide/wrong offset for the car, which causes it to not track as well as it could (eg it "sways" a bit on the open road, something I had already noticed). This isn't a safety issue, more a performance problem.

As much as I would love to have the car handle as well as it did from the factory, replacing the wheels is not a priority right now, so maybe in the future. So I humbly concede that I spoke too soon regarding the job that Coombes did - they had indeed suggested excess tyre wear which could be fixed with an alignment, which is exactly the case.

Great to hear that it is all sorted now Mike. I would suggest you look at replacing those front tyres as soon as you can.

I agree it is a safety issue, hence why I said get the tyres replaced as soon as possible.

Mike has still not given us the exact specs of the wheel so until we get them from us it is all speculation as to whether or not the wheels are actually incorrect.

I agree it is a safety issue, hence why I said get the tyres replaced as soon as possible.

The tyres are not damaged to the point of replacement - not even close.

Mike has still not given us the exact specs of the wheel so until we get them from us it is all speculation as to whether or not the wheels are actually incorrect.

I think it's fair to say that the tyre expert knows what he's talking about, so I've taken in his opinion. He does indeed think that the wheels are the wrong offset, but he doesn't believe it to be a safety issue.

3pedals, I get what you're saying, and I appreciate it. But your post does seem to reek of alarmism, and I think you're exaggerating the issue. There's no pull whatsoever in this car under heavy braking. The tyre technician (his name is Eric from Tyre Master on Elizabeth St Tauranga in case anyone knows him) was extremely professional and knowledgable, and most certainly not your typical back-shop grease monkey. I trust his opinion. His thoughts are that yes, it would pay to change the wheels to get the handling of the car as good as possible, but it doesn't necessarily need to be a priority.

Mate, the two people above are professionals as well.

If you want any informed help give us the spec's of the wheels. Jeez.

But if you're confident with Eric's opinion, over the entire consensus of this thread then I guess you don't want our opinions.

Mate, the two people above are professionals as well.

If you want any informed help give us the spec's of the wheels. Jeez.

But if you're confident with Eric's opinion, over the entire consensus of this thread then I guess you don't want our opinions.

That's kind of my point - I'm taking the advice fo the professional who HAS seen the car, and has all the details. Any opinion from here is second hand based on my admittedly shonky details

Guest Simon*

Hope you get things sorted to your satisfaction Mike

All the best with your 540 :)

+1 Hot rims.

But your post does seem to reek of alarmism, and I think you're exaggerating the issue.

Mike I am not trying to be alarmist - I have given you the basic physics and without knowing the detailed information others have suggested you supply. That is where it should sit until it can be qualified.

The points you should take into account are:

B)

That level of scrub wear suggests a serious problem,

The previous owners approach to the car suggest you should be concerned about what else he has bodged on the car

And: Any tyre mechanic who suggests getting a car back to its STANDARD level of performance is not a priority is NOT a professional

If your offset was a mm or two out not an issue - but if as the picture indicates it is siginficantly more then; you should take my comments seriously particularly if you intend to fit new tyres as they will probably highlight the problem and then just get shredded like the ones currently fitted unless properly remedied.

+1...+2 ....+3 fully support you with this

Its not hard to see these guys ^ are right... just wiki "wheel alignment" or "wheel offset". I myself have been taught that all that "3pedals" said is true by the wonders that are the tutors at WINTEC. Often you may find that the "proffesional" from the tyre shop got his qualification 20+ years ago and just believes what he says now is gospel, just as you are doing. Any true proffesional stays ahead of his game and never believes he is right until he is proven right! As i'm sure those above have been countless times

I do appreciate you guys helping, but I'm satisfied with my solution. Huffer - I assure you the person I've been speaking with is not old school, and is very onto it. 3pedals - you admitted earlier that you cannot give accurate information all the details. And yet you're willing to assume your opinion is more valid than the professional who has seen the vehicle first hand.

BTW, I'm typing this from a friends house in Auckland - I made the trip last night and the car drove excellently. I'm extremely happy with the handling and performance of this vehicle.