Sign in to follow this  
greenday-rulz21

Should we have a DIY section

Off topic but yeah you can, just tick the box "Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder ".

Well, there you have it. I feel embarrassed being the forum veteran I am.

I for one haven't been encouraged to write up any DIY's as once they're posted they get lost in all the other threads. I'm sure if there was a specific section then it would encourage people to post proper DIY's. There are quite helpful ones like angel eyes for e36 and e46 which I didn't bother to take photos or write up anything cause two people will say nice write up and then the thread will get lost, and lets be honest, the search function hardly works wonders.

And as Mark mentioned, half the write ups on the net are for American cars and a lot doesn't apply over here. Also, wouldn't it be nice if Bimmersport had its own database of DIY's? Might get more traffic through the site.

ive got a couple of projects that im willing to put up and document for BS :D

front RH fender e36 removal > panel beat > paint prep > primer > base coat > clear coat > and finish then put back again :wacko:

fuel filter change e36 + e38

airbag light went on again "front passenger seatbelt tension" fix

front rotor change e38 and prob e36

handbrake adjustments e36

chek brake light curcuit fix e36

Edited by Docile

You should definitely write a DIY thread on "panel beat > paint prep > primer > base coat > clear coat > and finish".

I think it would be sweet.

I remember Ollie used to do a mean write up back in the day :mellow: .

And Andrew even had a "how to wash your car" thread that was sticky'd at one point.

As long as it isn't useless crap that everyone would know how to do like " how to change your gear knob" etc it should be sweet.

Where does it say its illegal? The lights still work -_-

Think you've already confirmed that when you say (& show) that the lights are not as bright as before the mods to them

Guest FrantiC

Something like this?

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33

That one is specifically e30 (being e30tech.com), But all the stickied DIY's, FAQ's from other catergory forums get put there too. Sooooo many mint DIY's in there. It's awesome.

I personaly wouldn't care about it, As I am an e30 driver myself and all the DIY's I needed are found in there or through google easily enough. For other owners, It's a great Idea.

That's the one I was thinking of,

Couldn't rember where I saw it though.

Think you've already confirmed that when you say (& show) that the lights are not as bright as before the mods to them

Im talking about the headlights (taillights still flash orange, they just look red when not flashing). I dont see how any workshop that does WOFs is gonna care about how bright the highbeams are. They just check the bulbs work & thats it. The lowbeam wont be any different as its just the bulb that lights up, no reflections required.

Anyways, just forget about that now, thats an old discussion and its overs.

The workshop in Wyndham (a town with less than 250 people) had a headlight checker, just like the one at the WoF center.

I'm not sure how It works though, Never had a chance to ask.

I kept failing on windscreens!!!

And this is a perfect example of why we havent bothered with a DIY section in the past.

Shady, youve got both a moderator and several long standing BS members all telling you what youve done to your headlights is not safe and yet youre still arguing the point that youve done nothing wrong.

In one of your previous posts you say the Admin/Mods word should be final but you cant even follow your own advice on something as simple as reducing the efficiency of your lights !

How often are we going to have the argument were its said the mod is illegal/unsafe or someone like yourself just responds by saying "Ill just take it to a testing station that doesnt have that testing equipment"? Thats just plain stupid and suggests alot about the often abysmal driving habits of people in this country.

My own opinion (which may differ from Admin) is that its pointless having a DIY section when you can find anything you want in about five mins by just searching the internet. BS isnt going to end up the be all and end all of BMW knowledge when you see how many members these other sites have its not difficult to see why they have so much information on them.

That doesnt mean people should be discouraged from doing a write up on here. But how many decent writeups have we had in the last 12 months? Its all very well saying "I didnt do a writeup because there isnt a DIY section" but unless people start doing writeups a new section is just pointless.

My own opinion (which may differ from Admin) is that its pointless having a DIY section when you can find anything you want in about five mins by just searching the internet. BS isnt going to end up the be all and end all of BMW knowledge when you see how many members these other sites have its not difficult to see why they have so much information on them.

That doesnt mean people should be discouraged from doing a write up on here. But how many decent writeups have we had in the last 12 months? Its all very well saying "I didnt do a writeup because there isnt a DIY section" but unless people start doing writeups a new section is just pointless.

But people are discouraged Martyn.

Its been said previously, it is really the other way around. Seems a waste of time doing a write up and it being dead in page 2 of a section not long after, and the search function being as crap as it is.

Its strange how this forum doesn't seem to want to try anything new or improve. Sure, we don't have to be the everything of BMW knowledge but surely turning up a few search results in google wouldn't be a bad thing?

But whatever, why argue when we have google that can do anything but make our tea.

Guest Simon*

My suggestion (and I'm a mod so I'll just make it happen!) is thus:

In each section, Maintenance, Appearance, Wheels etc. I will IF NECESSARY sticky a new thread that you can post links to your "DIY" in. Only worthy (and fcuking legal!) DIY threads will make the grade and they will be cleaned up of all extraneous crap - i.e. pretty much anything Shady posts

This whole forum is full of help, advice and DIY's - don't be lazy about a quick search. Plus if you search for "DIY" from now on .... voila!

I think a DIY page would benefit all and it's at least worth a trial.

Edited by Mark247

I think it would be very valuable.

Guest Simon*

I planned on doing a full write up on doing a m50 conversion, but once I realised the work involved taking photos etc and the fact that it would disapear into history in a matter of a few days, why bother?

With all due respect that's bullshit. The "Project" section is far from full and is perfectly set up for a full start to finish build thread. If you're all so precious about it falling into page 2 after a month or so keep bumping it with new additions!

You can look and see that the Projects section is one of the newest and has only been active since late 2007. You can look through ALL the projects in 3 minutes or so!

As mods we'll clear out the bullshit and keep people from posting in there stuff that belongs in other sections

What a bunch of whingers you all are! Jesus

I don't think anything needs to be changed.

There is no need for a DIY section.

Project section does the job just fine.

There are quite a few projects I regularly check in with - Incarny's and Riley's, and others which I can't think of off the top of my head as it's too early in the morning, but they are a damn good read, and have taught me along the way.

Some project threads, just don't do it for me, especially if it's done too overboard DIY and end up looking tacky and sh*t. Or if it shows work that makes the car unwarrantable.

I think some of you should stop having a cry, if you want members to check up with your project regularly, as Simon said, just keep on updating it and adding new images and write ups!

That isn't so hard is it.

Ching. My 2c.

Guest Simon*

More my plan was to make a thread with one post with everything I did to get it running, not adding random sh*t again and again, but one post with EVERYTHING

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THE PROJECT FORUM IS FOR!!! I understand that there's a bit of work documenting, photographing everything to post it up and that's cool. But it's hardly going to get lost in there :wacko:

I'm just saying don't use the lack of a "DIY section" as an excuse not to do a build thread, that's a weak excuse.

I can think of some great build projects we've had put in since its inception: Incary's suspension wank project, Westy's home butchered E46 into E30 build, Jamezzzzz's dad's fat assed S50'ed 320i :) All of them are right there and easy to find. Put a link to your build in your sig and there's every day for anyone to read.

I still really don't understand the problem

With all due respect that's bullshit. The "Project" section is far from full and is perfectly set up for a full start to finish build thread. If you're all so precious about it falling into page 2 after a month or so keep bumping it with new additions!

You can look and see that the Projects section is one of the newest and has only been active since late 2007. You can look through ALL the projects in 3 minutes or so!

As mods we'll clear out the bullshit and keep people from posting in there stuff that belongs in other sections

Would hardly call this thread whinging, more trying to suggest an idea for the forum?

I agree with points from both sides, and ultimately its the "Mods" that decide what happens and what doesn't happen as they have to police it and sort the bullshit from the good sh*t. And with the amount of dribble posted of late I can understand why you don't want it.

If everyones DIY threads were like Marks and Nicks it would work great, but in reality as we have seen from people recently they wouldn't be which is a real shame.

Edited by braeden.

Guest Simon*

Yes they're different.

Read again to see what I propose for DIY type stuff

My suggestion is thus:

In each section, Maintenance, Appearance, Wheels etc. I will IF NECESSARY sticky a new thread that you can post links to your "DIY" in - it will work like a "Contents Page" at the top of the section. Only worthy (and fcuking legal!) DIY threads will make the grade and they will be cleaned up of all extraneous crap - i.e. pretty much anything Shady posts

I am not sure whether this is about a DIY section or the already existing project section?

Haha, what?

DIY section would be sh*t. If you wanna know how to do somthing figure it out yourself (true DIY!), or there are guides on the net that people have posted before, most of them would probally be people copy pasting guides from other sites.

Edited by RyanG

I had been thinking about asking for a DIY/How to Section of the forum for a while, but judging from the posts above by the mods etc it doesn't look like a viable option.

I vote for stickying some DIY threads, but maybe lock them also so others can't put worthless sh*t in them (i.e Shady etc), anything that people seem interested to do.

IMO at the end of the day if someone does something illegal to their car i.e tint tailights its the car owners problem, but in the forum rules it does say bimmersport doesn't condone illegal modifications so fair enough to not support such things.

Also, posts like the aformentioned from Shady and some others on here are exactly why I don't post much on here anymore, this forum is slowly becoming full of muppets and whingers.

You've all had your say now.

If there are sticky-worthy threads and you request they be stickied, we will. If there becomes enough to warrant a new section in the forum we will.

Otherwise it's status quo.

ciao!