Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

Oops

^just resurface the road as you drive... you make a fair point there though glenn.

seriously if i were you i would get a sump guard. i have smacked mine seriously hard a few times... even bottomed out on the motorway the other day. and its done absolutely no damage to it.

They don't fit under an m50 oil pan, the oil pans stick down roughly 20mm lower than an m20 one. I have extended the arms and modified a sump guard to fit under, but as said with minimal clearance whats the point it's only gonna create sparks and bang along the road.

I've got it off, only has a small fracture where circled above. $60 to have it welded. But going to talk to someone soon who may be able to cut it higher, weld a flat piece of aluminium and have the sump sitting higher. + gonna have raised engine mounts to.

If you can't raise it then maby an idea could be to cut the front and bottom out and fold and weld a peice of 4,5 or 6mm ali in there, because that wont crack so easy if it hits the ground as its not cast., just a thought

Honestly... you guys amaze me... its too friggen low... its not legal.... fix it properly

Edit: And its dangerous and shouldn't be on our roads

Edited by *Glenn*

Honestly... you guys amaze me... its too friggen low... its not legal.... fix it properly

It is legal, I'm well within my certified limits, still sits to what it was certified for.

Nothing wrong with making things fit better.

Edited by e30ftw

It is legal, I'm well within my certified limits, still sits to what it was certified for.

Nothing wrong with making things fit better.

You already admitted cranking it down since the cert... stop talking bullshit

Never the less it is within the specs of what his certifier passed it as, If its dangerous then he will get picked up for it, but it can't hurt to offer some advice on options for fixing the sump can it

You already admitted cranking it down since the cert... stop talking bullshit

300mm +/- 5%.

Sitting only a few mm down, not even 296mm. Well within the 5%.

Options are : Replace or repair the sump then get the car & the sump at a sencible height

Edited by *Glenn*

300mm +or - 5% = minimum 275mm and maximum 315mm , therefore with a bit of comon sense put into action the height of 295mm is well within his legal limits

Options are : get the car & the sump at a sencible height

Thats your opinion and fair enough.

I was still scraping the pan down in the first place so it kind of makes sense to address the whole thing.

Never the less it is within the specs of what his certifier passed it as, If its dangerous then he will get picked up for it, but it can't hurt to offer some advice on options for FIXING the sump can it

Options are : get the car & the sump at a sencible height

still havn't fixed the problem of the cracked sump, unless these new fandangled m50's dont need oil

300mm +or - 5% = minimum 275mm and maximum 315mm , therefore with a bit of comon sense put into action the height of 295mm is well within his legal limits

You mention common sence... if your smashing sumps & the steering rack is 50mm of the ground as well going by the pictures... wouldn't you think I'm trying to give the right advice. I think John wants to drive on NZ roads... not up and down his driveway. It might look cool, but it's dangerous.

Common sense in terms of height and the mathematics fred

You failed both tests

No, Steering rack is way higher than the sump, the m50 sump pokes down another 20-30mm from the front subframe.

Look at marks car he cracked a sump too and isn't as low as mine is.

You failed both tests

i think your the one that fails buddy, he is perfectly legal, and is being offered advice of options of how to FIX it, quite clearly you have no desire to offer opinions of how to Fix it so why even bother patronising him/others, Ohh i know its so you can look big , then ban me so i can not come back to comment and thus making you look like the big man, good plan

Edit: where did "tests" come from? i never mentioned tests, therfore you are the one that fails mr man

Edited by Matty104

I did offer advice.... raise the car and or the sump....its that easy

As far as I understand, cast alloy need to be perfectly clean to be welded if this is done a compentant welder preferably tig will do a neat job and it will be really strong.

if you just give it a wipe and a rattle can degrease and have it mig welded the chances of it re cracking at the weld are a big higher.

GL with the sump fix/ welding

Let us know how the weld / repair turns out

As far as I understand, cast alloy need to be perfectly clean to be welded if this is done a compentant welder preferably tig will do a neat job and it will be really strong.

if you just give it a wipe and a rattle can degrease and have it mig welded the chances of it re cracking at the weld are a big higher.

GL with the sump fix/ welding

Let us know how the weld / repair turns out

Yeah I am having it properlly tig welded, have been told $60 to tig the crack. Going to cost abit more to have the bottem cut, flat bit welded up abit higher but the only issue is figuring how to get around the drain plug and raising that or as matt suggested weld in some thicker alumnium to replace the cast so it's alot stronger but I would prefer it raised anyway.

Sump still broked,

And correct about the welding jimmy, its not a hard process, more time consuming that anything, if he was up here I would do it for him (although i still havn't welded marks one thats been sitting under my bench for a month)

Wholly moley.

I say that not because the video is awesome, but the guy has a massive growth on his neck.

Bad move if you're planning on going to Quality's, i've seen their work welding sumps. The word sieve comes to mind. Are you getting it raised afterwards?