Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

E30 Mtech 1 323 Birthday.

The before pics.

M50B25 swap from an E34

All new bushes, likely some new springs, shocks, and sway bars from a 325 and new sloted rotors, And then she'll go in to get some minor rust removed, and panel and paint. And if I can find a new dash, wheels, and some sports seats in the process theyll be thrown in ;)

So far all ive got is a clutch, an engine stand, and workshop space organised :P

The badge on the bonnet pic kinda sums up the states of the old girl :o

post-2714-1280542374.jpg

post-2714-1280542437.jpg

post-2714-1280542491.jpg

post-2714-1280542578.jpg

post-2714-1280542603.jpg

Edited by Jacko

m50b25 is easier and a cheaper option,

got one available with the correct sump,complete with wiring loom ECU etc

could make up a conversion package, make a list of what you need and give me a call

cheers

Jon

Shweet as, Ill give u a buzz tommorrow Jon, got a list going together at the moment (including floor mats and spots - cheers) . Need to go measure my sway bars up and make sure theyre havent been replaced with 325 ones, the more I dig into the my e30 the more bits I find that arent original :rolleyes:

Gonna go hire a steam cleaner for a few days during the swap, 25 years of crud too remove :huh:

The end goal, long way off!, is something like this -

Posted Image

Just measured up my sway bars, hard to get accurate sizes with the verniers while jamming self under car :rolleyes:

Front is ~21mm, rear is ~14.5mm which makes them Mtech package sway bars anyway?

I think the Mtech sway bar sizes are: front 20mm, rear 14.5mm.

Posted Image

This car looks gorgeous, i'm aiming for something similar as well.

Project looks like it's taking shape nicely

I just realised I forgot something, googling has turned up jack.

Can someone point me some info on going to an electric fan setup, 16" sounds like the biggest that fits. But what thermoswitches do i need to control it? and where do they screw into? Using an E36 radiator/M50B25 The fan/relay wiring is all shweet, but what makes it go click?

I feel thick asking this, im sure the answer is simple and ive just over looked it... :rolleyes:

Other than that I think I have all the 12 peices of paper, covered in p/n's and notes for the swap, under control....maybe :huh:

Edited by Jacko

I just realised I forgot something, googling has turned up jack.

Can someone point me some info on going to an electric fan setup, 16" sounds like the biggest that fits. But what thermoswitches do i need to control it? and where do they screw into? Using an E36 radiator/M50B25 The fan/relay wiring is all shweet, but what makes it go click?

I feel thick asking this, im sure the answer is simple and ive just over looked it... :rolleyes:

Other than that I think I have all the 12 peices of paper, covered in p/n's and notes for the swap, under control....maybe :huh:

^Sorted that out, the thermoswitch doesnt need to plug/screw into anything :rolleyes:

So far we have got sorted/nearly sorted, dont think ive forgotten anything.. yet... B)

M50B25, non vanos.

E34 sump/pickup/dipstick

E34 Wiring loom and ECU (auto)

Brake booster

E36 engine mount arms

E28 M5 mount rubbers

E34 throttle cable

E36 radiator and hoses

A good fella too machine the 260's flywheel

New seals for the Getrag 260

Kevlar clutch kit

Electric fan kit

Custom headers, complete new exhaust (single)

Modified GB crossmember

Driveshaft hoops

Cold air intake box (im gonna make one outta 2024T3 ali) and K&N pod

All new gaskets/waterpump to freshen up the M50

Z3 shifter and new bushes

All the nolathane bushes for the suspension

New floor mats and spots ;)

Hope to go pick up most of it on Saturday, if it all fits in the ute.

Still to sort out -

LSD, New brake rotors and pads, And some decent front seats that arent spewing their internals all over my ass.

Anyone tried one of the Ebay ECU chips? are they rubbish?

Any recommendations on Gearbox, engine, brake fluids?

Anything obvious ive over looked? :lol:

Edited by Jacko

We have a new Donk, cheers to Brent and the guys European car parts for playing "find this bit" and answering all my emails!

Picked up this morning, On the engine stand and stripped in the arvo. A few of the more interesting pics below, I took a bucketload of photos of the breakdown too help me stick it all back together. Managed to wind all but two of the exhaust studs outta the head, and three of the coils plugs are busted. Easy fix stuff. Outside of engine is a mess, inside it looks minta! :D

Just waiting on an E36 manual radiator (going for a new one) a suitable brake booster and all the new seals/idlers/gaskets etc.

Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Jacko

Spent about 6hours degreasing and cleaning all the crap outta it today, looks like an engine again! Pulled all the plugs and dropped the sump, had a good poke around, everything looks dandy. Rocker cover is off to be acid dipped and powder coated, probably get a few other bits done later :ph34r:

Ordered a new chip for the DME, euro spec'd, good for a few more horses and torques and raised rev limiter. Will post up a comparison between stock and the race chip once its in. See if it was worth the $70 it cost, cheap as chips :unsure:

Too anyone who has done the swap before, can you remember the p/n of the grooved belt you used? Power steering and Air/con have been removed, so I need me a smaller belt.

Looking at RealOEM, seems like one belt drives the waterpump/alternator and one drives the A/C and P/S, I never saw the engine with belts on :P . So p/n 11281735190 is the belt I want.. Maybe

I also just realised I have no O2 sensor is P/n 11781735710 what Im after? Where does it plug into the loom and is the wiring length critical?

one belt goes to ac from smaller part of crank pulley

other belt goes around everything else

you'll have to get a smaller than stock belt if your deleting the power steering

Edited by bbs

one belt goes to ac from smaller part of crank pulley

other belt goes around everything else

you'll have to get a smaller than stock belt if your deleting the power steering

Thanks man, Ive just got hold of the Bently E34 manual. Got some reading too do ;)

Ive got E28 engine mounts and have been told it'll bolt up and fit M50 to E30...but then keep seeing E36 arms popping up everywhere, whats the deal? have you noticed this in your searching?

Looking good btw! your so orginised haha can't wait to see the final product!

Ive got E28 engine mounts and have been told it'll bolt up and fit M50 to E30...but then keep seeing E36 arms popping up everywhere, whats the deal? have you noticed this in your searching?

Looking good btw! your so orginised haha can't wait to see the final product!

I think the right combo is E28 mounts (the rubbers) from what ive read the other rubbers sit the engine two high or two low, and E36 arms bolted too the block.

I dunno about organised ha. But every E30/M50 swap ive read seems to be incomplete, some points missing etc, maybe its obvious stuff to pros, and some cars never seem to have ever started :P So hopefully I can get it all down here, and have the thing start and run shweet first pop (thats the plan!)

Spent the last few hours going through Realoem, working out all the p/n's for "refreshing" and replacing all the perishable stuff on a non vanos E34 M50B25, radiator hoses are E36. No gaurantees that its right but -

Sump gasket - 11131437237

Dipstick Oring - 11431287541

Sump Plug washer - 07119963151

Front crank seal - 11142249532

Rear crank seal - 11142249533

Seal infront of camgears - 11361740840

Oring on inlet cam sensor - 12141727220

Rocker cover gasket - 11120034106

Seals around the rocker cover nuts - 11121437395 - Cant remember how many there are, heaps ;)

Oring on the crank breather - 11151730724

Oil filter set - 11421730389

Thermostat - 11537511580

Waterpump - 11517527799

Thermostat housing gasket - 11531748047

Thermostat Oring - 11531265084

Intake manifold seals (6) - 11611717259

Exhaust gaskets (3) - 11621728983

Radiator Temperature switch (91/99degrees C) - 61311378073 I plan on driving the electric fan off this, dunno if the temp range is right.

Radiator hose upper - 11531720720

Radiator hose lower - 11531730928

i noticed you mentioned about deleting p.steering. just to let you know you can get adaptors from places such as hydralink to convert the hoses into the e36 pump.

and to confirm with jacko it is the e28 rubber mounts with teh e36 alloy arms,

New Question.

Since my E30 doesnt have an O2 sensor, it also has no 02 sensor heater relay, what is used to control it, or do I need to pick up one of these too?

it should all be contained in the engine wiring loom for the m52,

Oh Click! That whats the smashed stray relay on the loom is for :lol:

good work.

i dont think you will need the O2 sensors as the ecu i gave you is from the early ones which some didn't even run o2 sensors , but if you do want some we have some here .

they plug into the 4 pin plug thats sits down by the starter motor and go back to the first section of the front half of the exhaust system.

you have the corect mounts , e36 ali mouting arms with e28 style rubber mounts .

keep up th good work

good work.

i dont think you will need the O2 sensors as the ecu i gave you is from the early ones which some didn't even run o2 sensors , but if you do want some we have some here .

they plug into the 4 pin plug thats sits down by the starter motor and go back to the first section of the front half of the exhaust system.

you have the corect mounts , e36 ali mouting arms with e28 style rubber mounts .

keep up th good work

Cheers Brent,

Looking at the ECU/DME schematic in the bently manual shows pin 70 looks for the oxy sensor voltage output, on the DME I got off you (V 3.3). It sounds like the DME ignores it till its up to temperature, So I guess it'd still run without it, but wont tweak the mixture. Since the intake and the exhaust on mine are gonna be way different from stock, and ive got a an aftermarket chip to swap into the DME, I think ill hook it up just for peace of mind that its not leaning out or doing anything dumb!

Ill grab a new one I think, just to be "sure" its working right.

What I may need though is a chunk of exhaust with the right fitting for screwing the sensor into though, so I can hack it off and graft it onto the new exhaust. Ill check with the guy doing it, I dunno if you can buy the 02 fittings off the shelf, like you can new flanges?

Also noticed that the DME I got has got 1991 525i written on it, but the DME was manufactured in 96. I bet that cost a bomb to replace in the original E34! :lol:

Edited by Jacko

no problem , we have some exhaust here you can grab and sensors etc if needed , they dont often fail .

and yes i think there was a recall or reprogram on all those ecu's back then .

every one seams to have a replacement sticker on them .

no problem , we have some exhaust here you can grab and sensors etc if needed , they dont often fail .

and yes i think there was a recall or reprogram on all those ecu's back then .

every one seams to have a replacement sticker on them .

Cool beans, sounds like its easy to get off the shelf threaded oxy sensor fittings too!

One thing I havent sorted out is a muffler, any recommendations? Something a bit stealthy, not a big shiny tin can with an 8" hole in the back (and a skank whistle to go with it, Whoooom psssh!) :P

To get to the stage of the engine in the car running, new exhaust and headers, all new seals/radiator/clutch and other bits (with mostly OEM/genuine new parts) budget is looking at around $5k for everything.

And theres another $3k in new wheels,tyres and LSD and nolathane, still havent decided on what to wheels. Those new BBS 17" weave clones look pretty slick, but so do a set of the cloned 17" Alpinas... Tough decisions.

$1k on the interior for some new seats and a tidy up im figuring.

Add another $5k in panel and paint (gonna keep it the stock schwarz black), im banking on there being hidden rust (those E30 sunroof pics scare me!), and the rubbish paint that is on it is gonna take a shedload of prep work.

For a car that cost me $2k 3 years ago as work hack, its getting one expensive birthday ;)

I need to do some OT!! :o

Is anyone able to hook me up with a copy of the WDM/ETM for a 1985 323? I can find jack online, or on ebay. None of the M50 to E30 wiring diagrams ive found match up with my car.

Email a PDF, or if can borrow a hardcopy to photocopy the bits I want, Ill buy beer! :D

Seems like BMW liked to change the E30's wiring every year just for the fun of it.