Sign in to follow this  
fred_

Are VALVETRONIC Exhausts illegal in NZ?

So....

I'm thinking about buying an Innotech E92 exhaust for an M3.

It has this valvetronic technology where you can press a button which opens and closes the valves making the exhaust quiet or super loud.

Just wondering the legality on this in NZ?

Thanks

I imagine it would only be legal if you got it certified for the loudest it can go, i.e valves open or whatever..

Just fit it, keep the valve closed for wofs etc, come tracks or a bit of country driving open the gates of hell.

I bought one of those X Force adjustable ones a few years ago for my Subaru, as any aftermarket exhaust or tips will go over the db's for a WOF and i wasn't keen to have an ugly silencer installed.

When I had my car certed I mentioned about getting one of these in the near future, they told me it should not require certed as when closed it should not sound near the db limit. Has been through 3 or 4 WOF's since and i've never been hit up about it (fully closed mind you) ;)

Here's a youtube video:

Only thing i would find better is if it was adjustable, not open and close if you know what i mean!?

Edited by cliffdunedin

I bought one of those X Force adjustable ones a few years ago for my Subaru, as any aftermarket exhaust or tips will go over the db's for a WOF and i wasn't keen to have an ugly silencer installed.

When I had my car certed I mentioned about getting one of these in the near future, they told me it should not require certed as when closed it should not sound near the db limit. Has been through 3 or 4 WOF's since and i've never been hit up about it (fully closed mind you) ;)

Here's a youtube video:

Only thing i would find better is if it was adjustable, not open and close if you know what i mean!?

I'm sweet about the wofs etc... I know where to go haha... It's more that I am planning on fitting the exhaust here in the UK and bringing it into the country with it on... Wondering if maf/customs will make a big deal of it ?

If so Ill just ship the car back with stock exhaust and fit it when it's in NZ

I'm sweet about the wofs etc... I know where to go haha... It's more that I am planning on fitting the exhaust here in the UK and bringing it into the country with it on... Wondering if maf/customs will make a big deal of it ?

If they notice it they may do, as it is technically illegal to be able to easily modify an exhaust (which is why silencers are normally required to be welded these days) but thats only if they notice.

And yeah I know Jags have them standard etc etc, but anything stock standard is legal by default (eg. fpv/hsv exhausts well over 96db)

This is a safer option IMO - from what I gather, cars are given a pretty good going over when first inspected here...

Just get a center muffler / flanged straight pipe for the center section.. Swap them over as you please.

Lots cheaper and gives actual performance increases.

They are legal, they come factory on a lot of high end cars and we sell many systems with them on them.

Quoted from the VIRM (the WOF Bible)

Reasons for rejection

# 3. The exhaust system is so constructed or modified that

its operation or effectiveness can be readily interfered

with, eg the driver is able to interfere with the exhaust

system by operating a manual switch"

You may argue that this is referring to the systems effectiveness in regards to fumes.

The WOF boffins that issue WOF inspectors with their authority seem fairly adamant that this refers to both the exhaust systems ability to deal with the fumes and decibel output.

Edited by Antz

Illegal.

There was a write up about this, I read in a Performance Car magazine a few months back. Same question was asked and the Police officer that answered said anything that allows modification of the exhaust in that way would/should fail a WOF.

I would hope, that as long as it was quieter then the imposed maximum, and didn't breach any imposed emissions, then it should be fine. You may well be ask to prove it however...

After all, how many vehicles have some form of OE 'valve actuation' in the exhaust system.

An old E36 328i for starters.....

After all, how many vehicles have some form of OE 'valve actuation' in the exhaust system.

An old E36 328i for starters.....

Loads of BMW's have muffler flaps. E46 330i, E90 335i, E60 545i, 550i, 645i, 650i

E65 745i, 750i etc etc etc the F01, F10 even the Rolls Royce ghost.

They're OEM and don't allow for driver interference.

Loads of BMW's have muffler flaps. E46 330i, E90 335i, E60 545i, 550i, 645i, 650i

E65 745i, 750i etc etc etc the F01, F10 even the Rolls Royce ghost.

They're OEM and don't allow for driver interference.

Bit different though isn't it. When the second flap opens up on the BMWs it's not that noticable. The aftermarket ones work completely different.

Talking to some friends last weekend about this and one of my friends has had his SLR5000 fitted with a late model Commodore one and this was also certed, so i'm not 100% sure on the whole legal and illegal thing!

Perhaps aftermarket are illegal and OEM parts are not...bit confusing though!

From what I read its pretty easy to understand.

Any exhaust that allows the driver to manually adjust the sound/output is illegal.

Therefore standard exhausts which automatically open or close at certain RPMs (like my E36) are legal.

Bit different though isn't it. When the second flap opens up on the BMWs it's not that noticable. The aftermarket ones work completely different.

Indeed, my understanding is its more about killing interior "drone" on BMW's than outright Db ratings.