Sign in to follow this  
westy

This dude.

Later that day....

Posted Image

Nasty Crash ! Hate to think what would have gone through the co-drivers mind. Lucky to survive.

at the end. the whole car looks twisted. or did the camera slant?

Edited by Docile

and on the opening stage??! Couldnt even see any door bars in that video

in the video you can hear the driver "this gunna hurt"

its an expensive crash and would be good to see more of the lead up to it and what happened. during the video they're just passengers and couldnt have done anything.

would have been fine if the organisors didn't use stupid concrete barriars and used water filled barriars like the 2 that shoot off...

would have been fine if the organisors didn't use stupid concrete barriars and used water filled barriars like the 2 that shoot off...

but they were there to 'protect' the..... rest of the track.

problem is this isn't the first time stupid barrier placement has wreaked a competition car and even injured the crew.

probably wont be the last.

(Targa nz manfield pit incident a few years back comes to mind as well as a death in a drag event in AUS before that)

I would have thought that the organizers of motorsport events had race experience and would have thought through the placement of these.

I can only assume they were placed there to protect the next competitor entering the track? If correct why weren't they just foam blocks or tyres?

If you look at this video:

It looks like it was just a make you keep left sort of thing...

This was on the one of the youtube links:

Advice to all regarding the barriers. The concrete barrier was there for a specific reason. The track was checked and approved by a track inspector prior to the event and also on the event. Safety comes first at any rally and we do not make barrier type or placement decisions lightly.

BoschARC 12 hours ago

don't get me wrong. The driver got out on the dirt and kept his foot in it.

But still why concrete barriers on a straight to keep them left. Wouldn't cones do the same job?

Nor do I.

I remember Targa ran plastic barriers on the prolog at Hampton a few years back and had they been concrete a few cars would not have made the first stage.

That guy was a clown for entering that car though, too much all dollars no cents, I mean he was competing with Honda Civics and Toyota Corolla's FFS, what was he trying to do other than wreck a car designed as a GT.

a bit of an amateur driver from the looks of it. looks like he kept gassing on wet grass and track and his counter steer was so slow and not enough. on the article too, it said he used SUV tyres??

That guy was a clown for entering that car though, too much all dollars no cents, I mean he was competing with Honda Civics and Toyota Corolla's FFS, what was he trying to do other than wreck a car designed as a GT.

That class also had:

Honda Jazz, Nissan 200SX, Nissan Sylvia S15, Holden Commodore VZ, Holden Commodore VE, Aston Martin Vantage, Renault Clio 172, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda RX7

Tarmac Modern had ontop of the evo's and wrx's:

Renault Megane R.S 250 Cup, Nissan GTR

Tarmac Classic had:

Holden Monaro, Ford RS200, Triumph TR7, Porsche 924 GTS Club Sport, Mazda RX7

I think it's rather cool seeing cars you typically wouldn't expect to see on a mixed surface event.