Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 530i tidy up + mods

You won't have too much trouble selling the grilles. Just chuck them on trademe and leave them until an X1 one owner decides they want to make their roller skate stealth.

I'll give it a shot at trying to sell them this weekend.. I actually see some X1 owners around my workplace. Should leave a salesman note on their car ;-).

In other news, some more toys (oem ATE rears):

15605398895_0b5fd34161_b.jpg

Still awaiting 2 more packages with the grills, afe filter and vanos gasket and radiator.

• Like 1

I hope so. :) Am intrigued to see how the new pads feel

Grills, air filter and vanos gasket have arrived. Almost there. Got the right grills this time too.. phew.

15427573880_fcd95e462b_b.jpg

So on a scale of 1-10 (1 = change tyres, 10 = idk.. rebuild the whole engine), how mechanically inclined does one have to be to replace pads and rotors on an e39?

I have all these parts and don't want to waste the chance to get hands on with the car. I'm not that mechanically inclined but very very keen to be able to learn how to do a lot of this DIY. Guess im missing a lot of tools and stuff, and probably guidance..

3-4.

Need a.good male hex socket set as using allen keys is for peasants.

Dont forget the wear sensor may need doing.

I have a big box set of tools somewhere, will have to see if I have everything. Might be missing a clamp for the piston (or can i just use my finger to compress ??).

This kid is able to do it (with his Dad's help), so I'll be embarrassed if I can't!

Found a German made torque wrench @ parent's place that my dad's been using since 1970. Feels like an antique!

Quality tools last forever.

• Like 1

Quality tools last forever.

Indeed!

Radiator arrived this morning:

15622792286_9da4b98034_b.jpg

Colleague of mine picked it up from the front door and quoted the Fedex guy "This guy gets a crap load of packages!"

Edited by Arma

Did a few things today. Despite the pressure test showing no leaks after my crash repair, my radiator decided to start pouring out coolant on Saturday. Luckily I noticed it when examining the engine bay, otherwise I might have had a fried motor right now. Also lucky that I bought a new oem radiator from the US couple weeks ago just in case it was damaged due to crash.

Installed the new radiator this morning. Old radiator took like 30 minutes to take out even after all hoses were disconnected etc., because it was re-assembled quite tightly into that space by the other guys. Also did a few other things, see below:

Check list completed:

• Install brand new radiator
  • Install new front brake pads (Hawk HPS)
  • Install new rear brake rotors (OEM)
  • Install new rear brake pads (Hawk HPS 5.0)
  • Replace o-ring on exhaust cam sensor (had an annoying oil leak there for a while, dripping onto lower radiator hose)
I was having trouble accessing the 5mm hex bolt for the cam sensor because I'm an idiot. But after the expansion tank and stuff were out for the new radiator, that became easy.

It's nice having the new rotors and pads. I've bedded them but they'll need some time before they become firmer I believe - pedal is quite soft atm. One of the dust caps from one of the rear rotors is missing - anyone know where I can get one of these from?

I also have some new brake shoes lying around that I wanted to install, but i am too noob and scared to do that. Will take it into a shop in a few weeks or so to get that done. Did a pressure test and there seems to be no coolant leaks. The cam sensor o-ring fixes one of the last 2 minor engine oil leaks I had (there are probably some still hiding and will present themselves in an opportune moment).

15673221216_d491d79016_b.jpg

Pulleys and belts looked in OK condition. So not replacing those yet. Have already done the water pump, radiator hoses and thermostat over the last 12 months.

15511552818_767bfefe9b_b.jpg

Yes I know I shouldn't have left the calipers hanging

15511056119_7e71a57415_b.jpg

15695033431_150ff3a8f4_b.jpg

Exhaust CPS o-ring was hard and brittle. Oil was definitely leaking through there.

15696927985_e96b4af041_b.jpg

Liking the new rotors and pads so far. Pedal feel is still soft but smooth and no more annoying squeaky noise. Haven't checked dust levels but I imagine they would be low too. Need to fix up the curbing on the wheels. Anyone recommend a good place and any idea on cost per wheel?

15079609243_1e8d16bde4_b.jpg

Have you bedded the brakes in?

Eg Run it up to 80kmh quickly, slam on the anchors back to 20kmh, back up to 80kmh. Do this 4-6 times repeatedly, or until it starts to fade. This puts a nice layer of brake material on the disk, improving feel, performance and longevity.

• Like 1

Have you bedded the brakes in?

Eg Run it up to 80kmh quickly, slam on the anchors back to 20kmh, back up to 80kmh. Do this 4-6 times repeatedly, or until it starts to fade. This puts a nice layer of brake material on the disk, improving feel, performance and longevity.

Yep did that right after finishing installation. Had to find some empty roads but was able to do it. Definitely has improved feel.

Hi Adeeb,

Being a noob when it comes to working on my car I can say that the parking brake shoes were pretty straight forward. Given they were a bit fiddly, however the hardest part was getting my old rotors off!

If you google E39 Parking Brake DIY you should be able to find a DIY for a 1998 BMW 528i on bimmerfest that was pretty helpful when I did mine

Hope this will inspire you to give it a go

• Like 1

Hi Adeeb,

Being a noob when it comes to working on my car I can say that the parking brake shoes were pretty straight forward. Given they were a bit fiddly, however the hardest part was getting my old rotors off!

If you google E39 Parking Brake DIY you should be able to find a DIY for a 1998 BMW 528i on bimmerfest that was pretty helpful when I did mine

Hope this will inspire you to give it a go

The rotors weren't too bad on mine. The right rear one came off easy after 1 hit with the hammer. The left one took a little more effort, had to pry it a bit.

I've got a spare brand new handbrake shoe if needed, Adeeb.

Thanks, but I've got a set of brand new ones already - had bought them in with the new pads. Just haven't installed them yet.

Have added some new photos of the car post-crash-repair: http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/51215-meet-bonnie-e39-530i-m-sport-alpine-white/

Thanks Glenn for the plate holders :D.

Anyway - maintenance plans:

Next on the list, though in a very counter intuitive order, will be replacing the water pump (despite having done most of the cooling system already). It is still less than a year old but leaking coolant slightly. I like peace of mind. When does a coolant leak ever give peace of mind? Going to monitor the leak next week or so to determine how quickly I need to do the job ('peace of mind' can wait a couple of weeks).

At the same time may as well do some remainder stuff such as my expansion tank and it's hoses, which are quite old now - again, should have just done this with the radiator change. Noting down part #'s for my purpose:

Hose that runs from tank to heater core:

Hose that runs from tank to auxiliary water pump:

Expansion tank:

Following this job will be transmission service definitely as this is overdue. Filter, gasket and oil change. Do this ideally by December.

A job for the near future is replacement of a couple of power steering hoses. Haven't noted down which hoses they are yet but it's one high pressure one and one low pressure one. Both leaking p/s fluid. I've already replaced one low pressure hose - it's not leaking from that one. High pressure one looks like a pita to remove (see pic below). Also, see all that white crap on the belt? That's from the pump leak.

15546421228_fc39f8f4a1_b.jpg

Edited by Arma

Did a WOF this morning, which passed (yay). Got the yearly one now.

Weather was terrible today but never a bad time for some interior mods. Headed over to Martin's (BreakMyWindow) place later and replaced all the interior bulbs + trunk lights with white-blue LED's. Took some average photos (below), but the look is much better in person imo.

Had some trouble with the bayonet bulbs (map lights) in the center console housing - seems there's something up with the connectors in mine.. corrosion etc. After lots of trying neither of us could get the LEDs working in those 2 connectors, despite the old bulbs working fine. Nevertheless, thanks for the effort Martin. :) I tested the LED bulbs so they were not faulty. The large center bulb worked however, so that's all good and well.

Definitely feels a bit more modern inside the car now.. outside too with the puddle lights :).

15607957787_65d5c71770_b.jpg

15769450406_1b2271c1b1_b.jpg

15608284890_2277c104ce_b.jpg

15793121735_8cc2102671_b.jpg

15607961957_3f5da0a312_b.jpg

15791249181_df58300e92_b.jpg

Edited by Arma
  • Like 1

The bulbs werent in backwards?

Surely they must have been :P

But nope. Ended up keeping the front map lights the same. Changed everything else. Maybe need to get a new unit for that.

I'm glad you bought this car! Coming together so well.

Edited by T.J
  • Like 1

Wwe tested the bulbs in my car and they worked. I removed the whole comsole unit from my car and it worked in Adeeb's car. Something to do with the contact points on his console light unit i guess... any ideas?

Progress on the headlight adjuster 'practice' diy on my busted headlights.. whenever I get time. (Literally like 10 mins every few days)

Have finally managed to take out the adjusting unit (below). Had to use a little bit of force, but once I could take a peak at how it was assembled inside, the right movement made it pop out easily. Have managed to take out both the low and highbeam adjusters now as well. The high beam adjuster screw was hidden by cables coming from the angel eye connector - had to force them away and behind something. Hoping the ones in my car aren't arranged like that, it's kind of annoying - especially when trying to put the new adjuster in. That's the next part... the hard part.

15668276599_6e38fb70f2_b.jpg

Edited by Arma

I had the same problem when I replaced all my bulbs with LED's... never did figure out why my map light bulbs didn't work so put the originals back in.. I've heard of others having the same problem too