Sign in to follow this  
emac

track day upgrades

the point here people is. ..............go have fun.

enjoy the day

but know the limitations of a heavy car on the racetrack. Be mindful of the road basis of alot of the components.

Racecars are expensive beasts as alot of their equipment is specially designed to handle the stress & heat of competition.

Brakes are the big one.

Please don't let anyone here put you off having a blast around a racetrack. It's fun, you meet lots of nice like minded people. With some thought you should come away with your car in 1 piece and maybe some new skills that will serve you well when you are back on the road.

Or you could just not brake! I took my E60 545i M to Taupo for a laugh and after realizing it was not cut out for it I simply resorted to going slow into corners and drifting out, could drift the 545i from turn one through to turn 5, needed new tyres afterwards though and the people in Audi's got scared.

Interested in this comment, did you have an aftermarket LSD or did you throw the weight around to make it slide?

The car is a factory Mspec [ihave the build sheet i got it from a friendly insider at BMW NZ]

I took my 540 up to Manfeild last month and had a blast. Before I went I had the brake fluid changed and put in Bendix CT pads. I was doing 10+ hard laps at a time with no fade, and did over 70 laps throughout the day - then drove home that evening. Yes it's heavy, yes you need to brake early, but it performed amazingly.

I took my 540 up to Manfeild last month and had a blast. Before I went I had the brake fluid changed and put in Bendix CT pads. I was doing 10+ hard laps at a time with no fade, and did over 70 laps throughout the day - then drove home that evening. Yes it's heavy, yes you need to brake early, but it performed amazingly.

Thou shalt try harder.

Thanks i have ordered new pads got the brake upgrade booked. [were you at manfield with trackdays nz?]

Interested in this comment, did you have an aftermarket LSD or did you throw the weight around to make it slide?

Nope, it had an OEM open diff... I think the heavy weight, narrow tyres and fact I was trowing it hard just kept it sideways through inertia, its easy on Taupo.

You can drift anything if you turn in hard enough at speed and keep your foot up it, I have had people look for a diff in the back of my FWD rally after opposite locking most of the track and drifting near the entire last sweeper at Hampton downs. Made my passenger go poo pants.

OK thanks for all the advice. roll on 23/11 Manfield here i come!!

who are you doing it through?

havent tracked a 325i before, now i have one im thinking about it just for the sake of comparing it to the other car

playdayontrack.co.nz for the 23rd also registered at TrackdayXperienceLtd